TSN: Mikheyev

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
It wouldn't matter to me if this team had 35 million in cap space paying Mikyehev 4+ million is ridiculous. You can find players that do what he does for less than that.
For sure you can. We just don't find them very often. Most of them are pretty useless. Other than Ilya, our European FA signings have been a waste of everyone's time. And the vast majority of our UFA signings have been pointless.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If this is anything like what we tried with Hyman it'll go hilariously bad. I hope we learned from that and decided to not ask for a 3rd round pick for basically nothing again
But it wasn’t nothing though. Why did Edmonton get to dictate the value on a trade. If you want cap space you need to pay.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If there's market competition for the guy, a team trading a late pick for exclusive negotiation rights for a few days could be worth it for them.

It's rare but does happen from time to time
Would teams get in a bidding war to sign Mik?

Maybe someone pays a 7th to get him signed to have that piece of the roster covered before the draft/FA season.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
But it wasn’t nothing though. Why did Edmonton get to dictate the value on a trade. If you want cap space you need to pay.

Because Edmonton had all the leverage as evidenced by them saying f*** it and giving us nothing.

There's a difference between needing to dump him and just adding 500k to his number when it's not on the roster.

It will most likely be a benefit overall to them in the long run as they won't need to have him there for year 8.

Would teams get in a bidding war to sign Mik?

Maybe someone pays a 7th to get him signed to have that piece of the roster covered before the draft/FA season.

If we get anything higher then a 6 I'll tip my cap to dubas.

NHL teams don't usually give up big value for UFAs rights especially ones like mik. Maybe jack would get more who knows

Reactions: Nineteen67

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Because Edmonton had all the leverage as evidenced by them saying f*** it and giving us nothing.

There's a difference between needing to dump him and just adding 500k to his number when it's not on the roster.

It will most likely be a benefit overall to them in the long run as they won't need to have him there for year 8.

If we get anything higher then a 6 I'll tip my cap to dubas.

NHL teams don't usually give up big value for UFAs rights especially ones like mik. Maybe jack would get more who knows
They had no leverage. Toronto wasn’t re-signing him so why help another team if they aren’t gonna even meet in the middle. Dubas isn’t a lucky isn’t gonna take just what’s thrown his way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Best Bang for your Salary Cap Buck !!!! ** Cap management 101 **

2021-21 stats
=========
John Tavares ........ 79 games .. 27 goals .. $11 mil AAV = $407,400 cap $ consumption per goal.
Ilya Mikheyev ...... 53 games .. 21 goals .. $ 1.645 mil AAV = $78,333 cap $ consumption per goal.
Michael Bunting ..79 games .. 23 goals .. $950k AAV = $41,304 cap $ consumption per goal.

Last season a JT goal cost the Leafs $400k of Cap, a Mikheyev goal at $78K and Bunting goal $41K, with Leafs getting much better value per goal from the bottom end of the roster.

First Kadri, then Hyman, now Mikheyev and next year Bunting all forced off the Leafs roster for salary cap reasons, because Leafs can no longer afford these higher cap value productive players because they have so much invested in JT among others. Leafs can only afford depth players making $1.5 mil or less but once their contracts are up and you have to pay for their production, you have to move on from them.

Last edited:

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Who would you rather have for $21+m if Mik gets 4.5x5?? Paul all day for me.

Rather neither at the cost or Paul at his price for 1/2 years

I think a 2/2.5 mil a year player at the level of both of them is something that is something we can get if that's something we want to spend money on

Very few are worth what they get as UFA.
Yeah agreed. Shows how important all the picks we've thrown away might have been

Reactions: ToneDog

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
They had no leverage. Toronto wasn’t re-signing him so why help another team if they aren’t gonna even meet in the middle. Dubas isn’t a lucky isn’t gonna take just what’s thrown his way.

The oilers signed him anyways for a very short aav bump and we got nothing

We turned down the opportunity to get an asset to "not help" a team that's not even in our conference when the help was a fairly insignificant amount of money.

It'll be the same thing in this case if we ask for something dumb everyone will just tell us no and we'll get nothing

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

We turned down the opportunity to get an asset to "not help" a team that's not even in our conference when the help was a fairly insignificant amount of money.

It'll be the same thing in this case if we ask for something dumb everyone will just tell us no and we'll get nothing
Dubas was willing to help them. Doesn’t mean Edmonton gets to dictate what they will give Toronto. If Edmonton wasn’t willing to meet in the middle than screw them. I wouldn’t help them either. Toronto isn’t a charity case.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010

Trading negotiation rights is one thing, but signing player first and lowering the cap hit is another. There is certain price on the market for that and it was right call from Dubas not to negotiate on that. If Holland wants to gain advantage and lower cap hit, then you can't walk over another teams GM.

Next time we don't get low balled that easily, because another team knows that we aren't desperate.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The official cut off day is actually trade deadline day, and only the team that owns his rights after that time and can sign him to 8 year term is his is original team.

That is why Toronto had to be the signing team and then trading him to Edmonton thereafter, the only way the 8th year was a possibility.
I did not know about the trade deadline date affecting UFA's. I thought it was mostly about just being under contract with the current team when the player hits UFA. Good to know. In that case I don't blame Dubas for asking for more than a 6th.

Reactions: Buds17

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Even if we had 50 million in cap space I wouldn't sign him

He has 0 goals on a goalie in his last 19 playoff games, he's not particularly physical either. Cut bait and let someone overpay him, they will regret it
This is the correct answer. The truth is they could easily afford to keep him by moving out some of the expected riff raff from the team (kerfoot Holl mrazek), it’s just we’ve seen what he’s capable of here and it’s not what the team needs so moving on is the right move regardless of cap space

Reactions: leafsfan5

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Trading negotiation rights is one thing, but signing player first and lowering the cap hit is another. There is certain price on the market for that and it was right call from Dubas not to negotiate on that. If Holland wants to gain advantage and lower cap hit, then you can't walk over another teams GM.

Next time we don't get low balled that easily, because another team knows that we aren't desperate.

Those sign and trade scenarios feel like more of a courtesy/convenience thing than a hard up negotiation in the NHL. Like oh well, we couldn't get the 8 years from Toronto. Leafs have no leverage in any case. Would be fine to just have an extra marginal asset than none.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
if you get rid of him then you gotta bring in someone just as fast. we cant be getting any slower. our bottom 6 is already slow as hell with the grey beards.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
if you get rid of him then you gotta bring in someone just as fast. we cant be getting any slower. our bottom 6 is already slow as hell with the grey beards.

Spezza is not coming back. Simmonds shouldn't have played at all. There goes your problem with being slow

Speed isn't everything.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Those sign and trade scenarios feel like more of a courtesy/convenience thing than a hard up negotiation in the NHL. Like oh well, we couldn't get the 8 years from Toronto. Leafs have no leverage in any case. Would be fine to just have an extra marginal asset than none.
Would other team help us for basicly free? Probably not, so if you're going to help by lowering cap hit, you should get something back. I think our ask was the common price and Oilers tried to low ball.

This is always this same discussion. If Dubas is hard on negotiations it's wrong, but he gives up he should be harder. Look CBJ and Jarmo, he gets his price everytime, because he has his ask and either you pay or you don't. No discounts. If you start giving discounts, you'll never build that hard line.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Kadri wasn't traded because of cap reasons.
Best Bang for your Salary Cap Buck !!!! ** Cap management 101 **

2021-21 stats
=========
John Tavares ........ 79 games .. 27 goals .. $11 mil AAV = $407,400 cap $ consumption per goal.
Ilya Mikheyev ...... 53 games .. 21 goals .. $ 1.645 mil AAV = $78,333 cap $ consumption per goal.
Michael Bunting ..79 games .. 23 goals .. $950k AAV = $41,304 cap $ consumption per goal.

Last season a JT goal cost the Leafs $400k of Cap, a Mikheyev goal at $78K and Bunting goal $41K, with Leafs getting much better value per goal from the bottom end of the roster.

First Kadri, then Hyman, now Mikheyev and next year Bunting all forced off the Leafs roster for salary cap reasons, because Leafs can no longer afford these higher cap value productive players because they have so much invested in JT among others. Leafs can only afford depth players making $1.5 mil or less but once their contracts are up and you have to pay for their production, you have to move on from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad