Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Having a good time at home. Organized and played in a tournament on the rink he used to come to after school. For those wondering he played for the local girls team(in this video:))

BTW the guy at 1:11 is Sergachyov's first coach in Nizhnekamsk.

Last edited:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The old thread was locked a year ago so an admin can open/merge if they would like. I thought this was worthy of it's own thread.

I've been extremely impressed with Sergachev. Everyone knows that I am a huge Cernak fan but Sergachev is just ridiculous right now, and I don't feel many are noticing or that he is getting the respect he deserves. Ever since he destroyed McCabe last December he's taken his game to another level, and I think to start this year he has again, risen the bar.

The two biggest knocks against him which were his sheltered zone starts and his consistency, have not been an issue for a long time. He only takes about 50% ozone starts now despite as a team us controlling play in the opponents zone most of the time. He's also become solid in the defensive zone, rarely making mistakes and usually doing a great job of transitioning into offense. He is probably better than Hedman at being able to switch from defense to offense, and if not, he's at the very least more aggressive and that aggression has led to a ton of production.

We are only 10 games in, and advanced stats are advanced stats, but the metrics are saying the same thing. When he's on the ice, our shooting percentage goes up, our shot generation goes up, and vasy's save percentage goes up. These are all things you want to see from a #1 defenseman, and he is doing this is in spite of not really having a steady partner. In fact, his two most consistent partners have been Foote(20%) and Schenn(19%).

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
The old thread was locked a year ago so an admin can open/merge if they would like. I thought this was worthy of it's own thread.

I've been extremely impressed with Sergachev. Everyone knows that I am a huge Cernak fan but Sergachev is just ridiculous right now, and I don't feel many are noticing or that he is getting the respect he deserves. Ever since he destroyed McCabe last December he's taken his game to another level, and I think to start this year he has again, risen the bar.

The two biggest knocks against him which were his sheltered zone starts and his consistency, have not been an issue for a long time. He only takes about 50% ozone starts now despite as a team us controlling play in the opponents zone most of the time. He's also become solid in the defensive zone, rarely making mistakes and usually doing a great job of transitioning into offense. He is probably better than Hedman at being able to switch from defense to offense, and if not, he's at the very least more aggressive and that aggression has led to a ton of production.

We are only 10 games in, and advanced stats are advanced stats, but the metrics are saying the same thing. When he's on the ice, our shooting percentage goes up, our shot generation goes up, and vasy's save percentage goes up. These are all things you want to see from a #1 defenseman, and he is doing this is in spite of not really having a steady partner. In fact, his two most consistent partners have been Foote(20%) and Schenn(19%).
Player Discussion: - Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2
He has a part two thread which isn't locked

Reactions: Rschmitz

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So when the NHL gets back to 82 game seasons, is he, like, a 60 point dman moving forward?

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
He's been dominant at both ends the last couple games.
He is having a great season on both ends of the ice this season, very impressed. I was actually just thinking about the season he was having and was coming in here to post about it and then I saw that you had just mentioned that haha

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Is he a top 2 d man outside of Tampa yet ?
The only poster outside of the Lightning that I've noticed (perhaps there have been others but I haven't been looking for it) that hasn't been sleeping on this d-core was a Boston fan that wanted to pump up McAvoy over Hedman, arguing McAvoy has to work with lesser talent on the overall d-core. Everyone just goes to the Norris threads and pumps up their guys (e.g. Makar, Fox). We're just going to have to win another Cup with Sergachev logging major minutes, I guess. :help:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The only poster outside of the Lightning that I've noticed (perhaps there have been others but I haven't been looking for it) that hasn't been sleeping on this d-core was a Boston fan that wanted to pump up McAvoy over Hedman, arguing McAvoy has to work with lesser talent on the overall d-core. Everyone just goes to the Norris threads and pumps up their guys (e.g. Makar, Fox). We're just going to have to win another Cup with Sergachev logging major minutes, I guess. :help:

That's weird thing to say when McAvoy has been babysitted by Chara his whole career while Hedman gets usually our worst d paired with him lol. I agree the d overall is better than Boston but Hedman doesn't and hasnt had great partners through his entire career here.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
That's weird thing to say when McAvoy has been babysitted by Chara his whole career while Hedman gets usually our worst d paired with him lol. I agree the d overall is better than Boston but Hedman doesn't and hasnt had great partners through his entire career here.
Just homer logic. What're ya gonna do? :shrug:

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

There was also someone saying in the Norris thread a few days ago that his argument in favor of Makar is that Hedman isn't "trusted" with the tough assignments, that it usually goes to McD and Cernak.

Now, if Makar is getting the toughest defensive assignments in Colorado, that's all fine and dandy. But it's not a matter of "trust" with Hedman. He's perfectly capable of tough assignments. But when you have McDonagh and Cernak, and this gives you the option to use Hedman in more offensive roles, why wouldn't you do that? Maybe that hurts his Norris candidacy to some, and I'm not going to tell people whether their way of interpreting defensive play is right or wrong, but the idea that Hedman isn't trusted is such a lie that I don't even know how you could type that. Cooper makes me question whether I pray to the righty deity sometimes but even he's not sacrilegious enough to not trust a should-be multiple-time Norris winning defenseman.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Last game I saw Sergachev play on the right with Hedman and McD, and on the left with Foote and Shenn. Is there any other top 4 D that can switch sides multiple times a game, with multiple partners on purpose?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Last game I saw Sergachev play on the right with Hedman and McD, and on the left with Foote and Shenn. Is there any other top 4 D that can switch sides multiple times a game, with multiple partners on purpose?

I don't think it's exactly preferable, it's just the solution to not playing Rutta 20mins a game and Sergachev <15m.

Cooper should get a lot of credit, I think he's been very good at developing Sergachev.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think it's exactly preferable, it's just the solution to not playing Rutta 20mins a game and Sergachev <15m.

Cooper used to be abysmal with managing minutes for defenseman but it's definitely one of his strengths in the last 3 years.
Well we also only have one set pair now. I don't know if that's good or bad (I lean toward it being good but I could see the other side). We have 4 great Dmen - two #1s, a #2, and a #3. The problem is three is a left side, so if you want them all to get ice time you either have to play one full time on his offside and have a shitty third pairing, or just go with a blender. I like the solution we have.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Well we also only have one set pair now. I don't know if that's good or bad (I lean toward it being good but I could see the other side). We have 4 great Dmen - two #1s, a #2, and a #3. The problem is three is a left side, so if you want them all to get ice time you either have to play one full time on his offside and have a shitty third pairing, or just go with a blender. I like the solution we have.

I think it'd be a problem if the "blender" solution wasn't managed as well as it is. All 3 have been consistently getting 20mins+ so no one is really being held back, not to mention RHD is a premium position in the league and Tampa has all of 5m allocated to that. Our solution also saves us big$$$ not getting into the market.

I doubt Cernak is where he is right now if we got Karlsson instead of McDonagh.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think it'd be a problem if the "blender" solution wasn't managed as well as it is. All 3 have been consistently getting 20mins+ so no one is really being held back, not to mention RHD is a premium position in the league and Tampa has all of 5m allocated to that. Our solution also saves us big$$$ not getting into the market.

I doubt Cernak is where he is right now if we got Karlsson instead of McDonagh.
I want to kiss Melnyk on the mouth if the rumor is true and he put the kaybash oh that trade.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
There were times in the playoffs that Serg made me nervous in our own end, specially paired with Shatty who can't skate. But as the playoffs went along he got so much better. Coop tried out Serg-Cernak and they looked great. (our whole top 4 all play so well with each other in any rotation its ridiculous).

Serg has looked great this year on both ends of the ice. A few little mistakes here and there but he's continuing to get better. It's pretty crazy we might already have our next legit #1 Dman.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Sirius XM NHLN was really talking up Serge today, suggested he’s a top pairing defenseman on any team besides the Lightning right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad