Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Sergachev is slowly entering the core player status. He makes that one giveaway from time to time to remind us he's still extremely young for a dman, otherwise that's a #1 in the making. How many shots did he block last night ? 5, 10 ? :D

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Without question a core player (and has been), certainly top pairing-caliber. He has a really unique way about him, almost always looks "casual" in a sense when he does something but that's just his style. Very few young d-men show nonstop progress like he has, hell of a talent.

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018
Having a fantastic year. He might have my favorite signature move on the Lightning, I call it the "Sergachev Shuffle" when he sidesteps a defender at the point.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
He just keeps getting better and better. Last year he was developing into a force before the shutdown hit. He was a bit rusty to start the playoffs after the long break, but it looks like he's not slowing down at all this year.

Love to see it.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Having a fantastic year. He might have my favorite signature move on the Lightning, I call it the "Sergachev Shuffle" when he sidesteps a defender at the point.
My favorite is Hedman having space at the point, looking for a pass before finally saying "f*** it, I guess I'll shoot" and blasting in a slapshot.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I'm getting convinced there must be some sort of a bet between Sergy, Hedman & McDonagh who can grow the longest hair.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have to wonder what sort of impact playing with guys like Hedman and McDonagh has on a developing player like Sergachev. I'm seeing a lot of 77 in how he attacks players as they try to enter the zone and defends the rush generally. He used to be really passive - terrified of making a mistake - when defending 2 on 1s or rushes generally, which led to some gaps which were a bit much. Now he is much more aggressive in a way that forces them to make a decision earlier.

I like this kid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Still way too early to move on from McDonagh, Johnson and Killorn have replacements and would be holding back players from our pool.

Nobody on D is close to moving up. You can swap McDonagh and Sergachev in terms of deployment down the line but having McDonagh around is much more useful than Johnson, also serves as insurance incase of injury. If you move McDonagh and Serg/Hedman go out that defense becomes paper thin.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Still way too early to move on from McDonagh, Johnson and Killorn have replacements and would be holding back players from our pool.

Nobody on D is close to moving up. You can swap McDonagh and Sergachev in terms of deployment down the line but having McDonagh around is much more useful than Johnson, also serves as insurance incase of injury. If you move McDonagh and Serg/Hedman go out that defense becomes paper thin.

If were able to move both of Johnson & Killorn in the offseason it will certainly help a lot with our cap issues (remember were max'd out cap-wise without Kuch's contract on cap this year) but with McD's contract/age and Sergy emergence, we might need to look to move on from him sooner rather than later. I would think he would have some decent trade value though.

Could an ideal trade be to trade McD & Rutta for a good RD on a good contract? Don't have to add Rutta to a deal if it overcomplicates it.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Nobody is going to trade a RHD on a good contract for McDonagh.

If we move Killorn and Johnson were fine next year capwise without doing anything else, could re-sign Goodrow and have enough players coming up to fill holes.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
Can't recall who but I've heard a few teams over the years that had extra RD. Edmonton / Carolina? Anyways I know it's a premier position but one can hope.

Trade McD sign Dougie Hamilton? He's prob gonna want too much though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad