Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
I've followed him on IG for quite some time (not closely) and he seems to like running around Tampa at night and dining at some of the nicer places with his lady. Hard to see him going anywhere that would actually try an offer sheet (although I guess being from Russia he could handle the cold, but why go back to that?).
Don't get me wrong, I really really like the guy. It's also true that Kuch and Vasi are two big friends of his so maybe he wouldn't be very keen to leave all that behind

Reactions: DaBolts

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Sergachev's sophomore slump was as much about increased ice time and less productivity of his playing partner! I actually think he was more consistent in his 2nd year when you factor in that he got off to great start in first 30 games of rookie year and then coasted home when opponents figured him out a bit! He is no longer a one trick move that we still see but can carry the puck end to end, blast a slap shot, get off a quick wrister or stand some one up along the blue line! He is 2 years away from being a top 10 defenseman in this league and I would dare say he could be top 30 right now!

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Sergachev's sophomore slump was as much about increased ice time and less productivity of his playing partner! I actually think he was more consistent in his 2nd year when you factor in that he got off to great start in first 30 games of rookie year and then coasted home when opponents figured him out a bit! He is no longer a one trick move that we still see but can carry the puck end to end, blast a slap shot, get off a quick wrister or stand some one up along the blue line! He is 2 years away from being a top 10 defenseman in this league and I would dare say he could be top 30 right now!

no it wasnt he flat out had cow shit between his ears someone really took time with him and know kucherov was one but a dman has worked with him BIG time his decision making at one point was sustr suckstest honestly... i watched games and the errors were pitiful hell cooper had him crying in playoffs if you missed that.....he flat out was playing both sides of ice defensively the problem was he was honestly usually working the wrong side.... i was sure he had no brains at all.... but now he has put together quite a change he almost never makes mistakes in any situation unless is aggression wise in other teams side of ice and i for one can live with guys that push offense at times but might get too far etc... he is hardly ever out of position now and he attacks people defensively its beautiful to watch

Reactions: Stammertime91

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
no it wasnt he flat out had cow **** between his ears someone really took time with him and know kucherov was one but a dman has worked with him BIG time his decision making at one point was sustr suckstest honestly... i watched games and the errors were pitiful hell cooper had him crying in playoffs if you missed that.....he flat out was playing both sides of ice defensively the problem was he was honestly usually working the wrong side.... i was sure he had no brains at all.... but now he has put together quite a change he almost never makes mistakes in any situation unless is aggression wise in other teams side of ice and i for one can live with guys that push offense at times but might get too far etc... he is hardly ever out of position now and he attacks people defensively its beautiful to watch
Are you saying he blue dog?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev did have a sophomore slump, obviously, but his rookie year was also overblown. He had 41 points, but he was not anything CLOSE to a 40 point defenseman. He's a legit 40 point defenseman now, who has suddenly become very good in his own end. The physicality has been a pleasant surprise.

He looks like our #2. It's really hard to complain about the defensemen this year.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hard to believe he’s just 21. Might be more impressive than Jones’s break out year when he went to Columbus when it’s all said and done.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Sergachev in his rookie year had 24 even strength points. Last year he had 26. There was no sophmore slump just us riding the #1 unit hard.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Because even strength points are everything that matters for a defenseman.

His defensive numbers were also a bit better in much less sheltered minutes.

While he didn’t improve much last year it definitely wasn’t a slump. He just kept playing at pretty much the same level.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think slumps the wrong word, because it implies he played worse. His points went down, but he he played better away from the puck. Letting him get those difficult minutes defensively set the stage for this year.

Will be a difficult offseason trying to get him signed.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I think slumps the wrong word, because it implies he played worse. His points went down, but he he played better away from the puck. Letting him get those difficult minutes defensively set the stage for this year.

Will be a difficult offseason trying to get him signed.

Tough call; keep a vet like McD or sign the future. Glad I'm not GM.

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I liked Sergi even thru his slump but this summer may be the time to trade him. Sign him to a decent contract then move him especially if Cal is ready. It is a luxury to have three d-men like Heddy Mac and Sergi and one would have to be exposed to the expansion draft. Moving Sergi would conserve assets and save cap to keep the party going another year. We are going to lose a good player in the draft regardless you can not protect them all but moving Sergi can bring back prospects and picks to reload. Instead of a plan to cut loos veterans to sign the guys this summer and going with even more young guys next year. You go for the Cup as many years as you can before having to drop back like Chicago had to do.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I liked Sergi even thru his slump but this summer may be the time to trade him. Sign him to a decent contract then move him especially if Cal is ready. It is a luxury to have three d-men like Heddy Mac and Sergi and one would have to be exposed to the expansion draft. Moving Sergi would conserve assets and save cap to keep the party going another year. We are going to lose a good player in the draft regardless you can not protect them all but moving Sergi can bring back prospects and picks to reload. Instead of a plan to cut loos veterans to sign the guys this summer and going with even more young guys next year. You go for the Cup as many years as you can before having to drop back like Chicago had to do.

It's a massive long shot that Cal Foote ever gets as good as Sergachev is right now, let alone 3-5 years from now, when Hedman's play could start to drop off.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

Why? You're allowed to protect 3 dmen. Even 4 if you want.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Why? You're allowed to protect 3 dmen. Even 4 if you want.
Yes that is not a concern but protecting him exposes another piece the issue comes in Cap. Sure the bridge contract at 4 to 5 will keep him a couple more years but if he continues to improve that next contract is going to be 9 mil or more these GM's continue to just throw the wallet at players. At that point you also have Point looking for a raise so one of Kuch, Pointe or Sergi is lost then anyway. This is not the NFL where the cap just goes up crazy amounts.

As to Foote being a longshot most every player is a longshot. There was a time when it was in question if Sergi was going to make it. Its the longshots that you have to fill your roster with when you over commit large contracts that drags a team down. In a non cap league hell yes you keep the band together forever. But now we have Verhage, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov rotating thru the roster because there is not Cap to solidify the 3rd line. Now a couple of those guys deserve the roster spot one is a question mark and the last clearly has regressed to the point where he is a liability.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yes that is not a concern but protecting him exposes another piece the issue comes in Cap. Sure the bridge contract at 4 to 5 will keep him a couple more years but if he continues to improve that next contract is going to be 9 mil or more these GM's continue to just throw the wallet at players. At that point you also have Point looking for a raise so one of Kuch, Pointe or Sergi is lost then anyway. This is not the NFL where the cap just goes up crazy amounts.

As to Foote being a longshot most every player is a longshot. There was a time when it was in question if Sergi was going to make it. Its the longshots that you have to fill your roster with when you over commit large contracts that drags a team down. In a non cap league hell yes you keep the band together forever. But now we have Verhage, Stephens, Joseph, Volkov rotating thru the roster because there is not Cap to solidify the 3rd line. Now a couple of those guys deserve the roster spot one is a question mark and the last clearly has regressed to the point where he is a liability.

7 forwards have NTC all ready so unless you can convince one to waive, then you're leaving Cirelli available for expansion.

On defence, hedman McDonagh and serg seem obvious but that leaves cernak and foote available.

This team is losing someone good regardless.
But it makes a lot more sense to try and move one of the lesser forwards with ntc if they will allow it, to gain cap rather than sergachev. That way you can protect Pirelli and gain cap room. Gourde?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad