Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While we're at it, Chabot is paid a lot of money. This is a problem for Ottawa, I understand. How about we trade them Alex Killorn for Chabot to clear salary and we can worry about our cap elsewhere?

He's not really paid a lot the first 4 years though. 7, 7, 4 and 8 million a season those years. It's the next three at 10M that are the issue. So we have to wait till the summer of 24 to make our move for him. Stamkos and Johnson come off the books that year and Hedman has just one year left till free agency. We will be all over that then.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
He's not really paid a lot the first 4 years though. 7, 7, 4 and 8 million a season those years. It's the next three at 10M that are the issue. So we have to wait till the summer of 24 to make our move for him. Stamkos and Johnson come off the books that year and Hedman has just one year left till free agency. We will be all over that then.
Anything to help Ottawa out, y'know?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
If we have to trade one of Cirelli , Sergachev , or Cernak then it should be Cirelli to the highest bidder. We have only one real D prospect near the NHL, and we will lose at least 3 of the 4 UFA D men (Rutta, Shenn, Shattenkirk, Bogsain) , probably all 4. We have no cap to sign a UFA/trade top 4 D, so next year it looks like Hedman-Sergachev McD-Cernak Coburn-Foote Cheap_VET will be the D.
Of course if Stamkos retires/LTIR , then our cap issues get a lot less of a problem.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we have to trade one of Cirelli , Sergachev , or Cernak then it should be Cirelli to the highest bidder. We have only one real D prospect near the NHL, and we will lose at least 3 of the 4 UFA D men (Rutta, Shenn, Shattenkirk, Bogsain) , probably all 4. We have no cap to sign a UFA/trade top 4 D, so next year it looks like Hedman-Sergachev McD-Cernak Coburn-Foote Cheap_VET will be the D.
Of course if Stamkos retires/LTIR , then our cap issues get a lot less of a problem.

Who do we have prospect wise that projects to be a top 6 C? Cause we don't have that in the system either. A top pair defender is better than a 2C but is Sergachev ever going to be a top pair guy with who we have in front of him? With Stamkos health uncertainty we don't even have someone to fall back on if we move Cirelli. Nobody wants Johnson as a 2C and while Gourde has been great these playoffs i don't think he's cut out to be a 82 game season 2C. If we can't find the cap for both then I trade whichever gets the best return or whoever won't take the biggest discount on their contract.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Who do we have prospect wise that projects to be a top 6 C? Cause we don't have that in the system either. A top pair defender is better than a 2C but is Sergachev ever going to be a top pair guy with who we have in front of him? With Stamkos health uncertainty we don't even have someone to fall back on if we move Cirelli. Nobody wants Johnson as a 2C and while Gourde has been great these playoffs i don't think he's cut out to be a 82 game season 2C. If we can't find the cap for both then I trade whichever gets the best return or whoever won't take the biggest discount on their contract.

So ask this would cirell accept a contract from us for 3 years 4 avv per year ?

would Sergachev accept a contract from us 4.5 avv per year for 3 years ?

having a core of mcdonagh, Hedman and Sergachev for the next 5 years together for me is more important then cirell in my opinion.

Yes we don’t have a cirell in our pipeline but we have proven we can draft a point and cirell late in drafts! We have never drafted a top 4 defenseman with this management that yzerman has had here since 2010 or 2011 ish . In a perfect world I’d like to keep both cirell and Sergachev and I’d move killorn and johnson to do it!

Last edited:
Reactions: cphabs

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So ask this would cirell accept a contract from us for 3 years 4 avv per year ?

would Sergachev accept a contract from us 4.5 avv per year for 3 years ?

having a core of mcdonagh, Hedman and Sergachev for the next 5 years together for me is more important then cirell in my opinion.

Yes we don’t have a cirell in our pipeline but we have proven we can’t draft a point and cirell late in drafts! We have never drafted a top 4 defenseman with this management that yzerman has had here since 2010 or 2011 ish . In a perfect world I’d like to keep both cirell and Sergachev and I’d move killorn and johnson to do it!

I have no idea what either would accept in a contract I just now they both with have to be reasonable if they want to stay. We currently have a 15 man roster with 5.3M in space to fill out the rest. For forwards we need to resign Stephens, Verheaghe and Cirelli everyone would like Maroon back i just can't see him taking 900k again. So Stephens and Verheaghe can be signed for 700-800k, let's do 750 each so we have 17 players with 3.8M left. On defense we need to sign Sergachev and Cernak while hopefully bringing back one of the RD. Shattenkirk seems like he will get paid so he's out,, Rutta and Bogosian made 1.3M last year which we really can't do, Schenn took 700k which would be ideal. Say Rutta takes 1M we have to jump on that and Schenn at 700k again. 19 players with 2.1M left for the big 3.

So before even trading anyone they have to know money is extremely tight just to ice a full roster. Obviously Killorn looks like the best candidate so as long as we don't take back money we are at 6.55M. The only other logical player to trade who we can without having to waive a NTC is Paquette so that gets us to 7.2M. We would need another forward regardless of Cirelli to get us to 12 which would be Volkov or Joseph at 700 so back to 6.5M. So if either of them are asking for 4M we really can't even sign them because there's no way to sign the other two for only 2.5 or less. Even if we can get them at 3, 3, 2 we would need to have no extra skaters and it still might not be enough. So I can guess what any of them will sign for till we see who we can move out besides Killorn and Paquette. Unless Stamkos is going to be on LTIR next season then that's a different story.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Sure, there's always a chance, but for 1, you never want to let young gifted dmen walk out the door (unless you're Montreal). But also for a number of reasons I think he loves living and playing in Tampa and I think he'll want to make it work to stay here too.
There's actually a Russian community here, too, and you don't have to put up with the seedier aspects or weather of New York or Los Angeles to access it.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Probably the most improved player from the year prior. He has all the tools you'd want in a future #1, and he has that confidence/"swagger" to his game that I don't see from many d-men around the league. Awrsome year for him. His fight with McCabe was one of my favorite moments of the season and was part of a much needed spark from that point on.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Would Byram start the conversation for Sergachev?
I think Byram is a great prospect and is going to be a good NHL defender but he is only 19 and I think right now the Lightning don't need another defender in which there will be growing pains with. Sergachev seems to have figured out the NHL game now and has had amazing games. I think he could be seeing more action on the top pairing with Hedman next year. I think he is pretty much untouchable for those reasons but Byram is a great prospect, just not what the Bolts need right now. Think we need defenders who can step right in and make a big impact (not that Byram can't, he just lacks experience at the professional level).

Reactions: Iceberg

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Would Byram start the conversation for Sergachev?

Byram + Newhook? Would reset the cycle with Byram just starting his ELC while Sergachev is ending his. Gives us cap space to not have to gut the forward roster just yet. Still move out Killorn and Paquette, replace with Newhook and Stephens. Keep Johnson one more year then pay to have him taken in the expansion draft.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Coleman - Cirelli - Stamkos
Newhook - Gourde - Johnson
Verheaghe - Goodrow - Stephens
Volkov/Joseph

Hedman - Foote
McDonagh - Cernak
Byram - Bogosian
Coburn

With Johnson going to Seattle we could try to resign Coleman if he has a good regular season and playoffs. We could try to move Palat if we get a good deal and if guys like Barre-Boulet, Raddysh and Katchouk show they can take his spot.

Coleman - Point - Kucherov
Newhook - Cirelli - Stamkos
Barre-Boulet - Gourde - Raddysh
Volkov - Katchouk - Stephens

Hedman - Foote
McDonagh - Cernak
Byram - Semykin

Reactions: Iceberg

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
I think 3 at 4.5 is possible for Serg. McAvoy signed 3 for 4.9 I believe, but that was in a rising cap and he has a slightly bigger role in Boston.

And Point is 6.75 so he can't really be in that ball park so his ceiling is really 5.5--and even that may be high b/c Point signed with the thought process that the cap would continue to increase.

Now if some team wanted to offer sheet him for 3 x. 6.5 I don't know what we would do, but he also has to sign that offer sheet. But it's business. If we say 4.5 is our max and some team is willing to pay 6.5x 3 can't blame him if he takes $6M more over 3 years. And keep in mind they are deferring 10% and then another 20% or so is held back as escrow so they may not get that either.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Any chance it was his last game for Tampa ?

We'll find out in about 4 days. He WILL sign for what we tell him to. If he won't budge from a certain number, we can just bring back our vets (who are probably just looking for some stability) in Bogosian, Shattenkirk (who is double-dipping with the NYR) and Schenn for a similar number. On top of it we can trade Sergachev for some top 5 magic beans to a team like Detroit or Ottawa. Needless to say Sergachev has no leverage here.

If he has played his last game for Tampa it's because he was chasing a payday we couldn't afford to give him and we had to do what was best for the club and not him.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think Byram is a great prospect and is going to be a good NHL defender but he is only 19 and I think right now the Lightning don't need another defender in which there will be growing pains with. Sergachev seems to have figured out the NHL game now and has had amazing games. I think he could be seeing more action on the top pairing with Hedman next year. I think he is pretty much untouchable for those reasons but Byram is a great prospect, just not what the Bolts need right now. Think we need defenders who can step right in and make a big impact (not that Byram can't, he just lacks experience at the professional level).

Thanks for the reply... i completely undestand why Tampa wouldn't want to trade Sergachev, who just had a great playoff run and is trending up, for an unproven Byram.

I just tought that with Hedman, McDonagh and Cernak, Tampa could afford to wait Byram to mature having more of a veteran group to insulate him as Byram might be ready for NHL action next season on a bottom pairing role.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Byram + Newhook? Would reset the cycle with Byram just starting his ELC while Sergachev is ending his. Gives us cap space to not have to gut the forward roster just yet. Still move out Killorn and Paquette, replace with Newhook and Stephens. Keep Johnson one more year then pay to have him taken in the expansion draft.

Palat - Point - Kucherov
Coleman - Cirelli - Stamkos
Newhook - Gourde - Johnson
Verheaghe - Goodrow - Stephens
Volkov/Joseph

Hedman - Foote
McDonagh - Cernak
Byram - Bogosian
Coburn

With Johnson going to Seattle we could try to resign Coleman if he has a good regular season and playoffs. We could try to move Palat if we get a good deal and if guys like Barre-Boulet, Raddysh and Katchouk show they can take his spot.

Coleman - Point - Kucherov
Newhook - Cirelli - Stamkos
Barre-Boulet - Gourde - Raddysh
Volkov - Katchouk - Stephens

Hedman - Foote
McDonagh - Cernak
Byram - Semykin

I think Byram and Sergachev are close enough in value that adding Newhook just makes it too loopsided in Tampa's favor. I would be willing to add a pick or a lesser prospect.

Like i said in my previous post, i completely understand there is litttle incentive for Tampa to consider that trade.... And on the other hand there are many Avs fans that wouldn't do Byram for Sergachev either, on the belief that Byram can be just as good (if not better) in a couple of years and is on his ELC.

Thanks for the kind replies and congratulations on winning the Cup.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Sure, there's always a chance, but for 1, you never want to let young gifted dmen walk out the door (unless you're Montreal). But also for a number of reasons I think he loves living and playing in Tampa and I think he'll want to make it work to stay here too.
Habs fan here. You keep Sergachev! He just walked away with the Stanley Cup as a pillar in your defense. Oh, he JUST turned 22... he’s experienced now. Lucky bastards lmao! Just my opinion as a interloper, but had to post it. VH is also rubbing off on him. Congrats again Tampa fans!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad