Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Cool homophonic joke.

glad to see I can still laugh at these posts.
I think you mean homophobic - but no homophobia intended whatsoever, would have called you his girlfriend if you were a girl. That being said, I do apologize, it was unnecessary.

Still think Serge is and will be awesome when he’s on top of his game but forever defending him as if he could do no wrong will irritate your fellow fans, we’re not blind.

• Haha
Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I think you mean homophobic - but no homophobia intended whatsoever, would have called you his girlfriend if you were a girl. That being said, I do apologize, it was unnecessary.

Still think Serge is and will be awesome when he’s on top of his game but forever defending him as if he could do no wrong will irritate your fellow fans, we’re not blind.
I don't know how I missed that when I initially read his post. Lmao.

That damn homophonic remark.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

its fine, obviously an autocorrect. and i don't care if people make fun of me, i just don't want it to be at the expense of marginalized minorities. Especially with some of the posters here who have posted some lame dog-whistle vitriol in the past.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
It's okay. Nobody is perfect, not even beloved Sergachev.
holy shit was your bow tie spinning after you made that joke?

i guess i have a gimmick on here that is super embarrassing that you called out, guy who registered with a tampa bay lightning player’s name on this tampa bay lightning board.

EDIT: fixed typo

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
holy shit was your bow tie spinning after you made that joke?

i guess i have a gimmick on here that is super embarrassing that you called out, guy who registered with a tampa bay lightning player’s name on this tampa bay lightning board.

EDIT: fixed typo
You seem angry. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
25 years old with pretty much all the tools you could want in a d-man. Only a complete moron would even consider trading him at this time. He has only gotten better year after year, so I'm not getting caught up in some early season "struggles".

Like Cirelli, this guy is very obviously a crucial piece of this team and a really good hockey player. So I guess it's par for the course on this forum to want them traded.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just hoping for the "watching from the press box" effect or whatever.
This is where I'm at with it. Everytime he screwed up we smiled and said "Aw shucks" because we got spoiled having guys like Savard, McDongah, Stralman, Coburn and Girardi to all go out there and make it better. And it was fine for years. But we don't have that anymore. I don't think I'm being outrageous asking a guy who has been here 7 years to cut down on his mistakes because everyone else not named Cernak and Hedman are barely NHL quality on most nights

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
25 years old with pretty much all the tools you could want in a d-man. Only a complete moron would even consider trading him at this time. He has only gotten better year after year, so I'm not getting caught up in some early season "struggles".

Like Cirelli, this guy is very obviously a crucial piece of this team and a really good hockey player. So I guess it's par for the course on this forum to want them traded.
He is no doubt, but it's a matter of simplifying his game to a point where he's consistent and an asset. He becomes a liability trying to do too much and I don't know why. I thought he was our best defenseman against Colorado in the final because he played a very simple game and was effective in transition. He didn't have a guy open so he would skate it. Why? Cause skating is a strength of his... utilizing his size and skating is when he's most effective, not doing a dipsy doodle no look backhand behind the net to an oncoming forechecker.

Much like Cirelli, both try to do things beyond their skill set and it exposes their weaknesses to a point where they become liabilities or neutralize their strengths. Cirelli is best when he drives the net and causes chaos, not looking for Gretzky passes or trying to snipe. He's an in close player that's highly effective down low and on the boards.

It's the same for nearly every player. I loathe seeing Stamkos down low or on the boards because that puck has like a 1% chance of ending up with him. It's not his game, but he knows that. Sergachev does all this stupid ass fancy shit and it tends to backfire. He's best when he simplifies his game.

Reactions: Tampa22 and Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He is no doubt, but it's a matter of simplifying his game to a point where he's consistent and an asset. He becomes a liability trying to do too much and I don't know why. I thought he was our best defenseman against Colorado in the final because he played a very simple game and was effective in transition. He didn't have a guy open so he would skate it. Why? Cause skating is a strength of his... utilizing his size and skating is when he's most effective, not doing a dipsy doodle no look backhand behind the net to an oncoming forechecker.

Much like Cirelli, both try to do things beyond their skill set and it exposes their weaknesses to a point where they become liabilities or neutralize their strengths. Cirelli is best when he drives the net and causes chaos, not looking for Gretzky passes or trying to snipe. He's an in close player that's highly effective down low and on the boards.

It's the same for nearly every player. I loathe seeing Stamkos down low or on the boards because that puck has like a 1% chance of ending up with him. It's not his game, but he knows that. Sergachev does all this stupid ass fancy shit and it tends to backfire. He's best when he simplifies his game.

Yeah this, he's an offensive defenseman but he's not a dynamic one like Hughes who can weave through traffic and walk the blue line. Sergachev is at his best when he just uses his IQ and makes the vanilla pass or shot, the guy has 1 move in his repertoire in 7 years safe to say creativity isn't his strong suit.

Players excel when they have the self awareness to play to their stengths, which is why Ovy has been an elite scorer for so long while Stamkos has phases where he thinks Datsyuk for some reason. Sergachev's biggest weakness is when he plays non-challantly like he has some gear he can kick into when someone comes at him hard but then he just gets stripped of the puck and looks stupid when he could've just hustled and gotten 2 steps on the guy.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL

HOW do you Sergachev is compared to Hedman at the same age?
Celly is really good two-way player on a terrible deal. He is a really good 3rd line center scoring around .5ppg but is getting paid top 6 money that can't produce enough to justify the contract. He never took a leap forward to justify his deal. I thought he would turn into a kreji/Bergeron type play that could score around at least 0.75 ppg consistently.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Man, hedmans peak was some of the best skating as a defenseman. No. As an nhl player I have ever seen. Right up there with Keith and imo the best of all time niedermayer. If we’re expecting that from serge, than no wonder there’s so many shit takes here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
See if they want Sergachev and I am not even joking. I thought losing him was going to be a catastrophic blow to our defense. Instead we're getting Lilyburger memes because we're so excited to have ANYONE that knows what he's doing and doesn't constantly make mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but I am not ready for 8 more years of this at this price clip

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
See if they want Sergachev and I am not even joking. I thought losing him was going to be a catastrophic blow to our defense. Instead we're getting Lilyburger memes because we're so excited to have ANYONE that knows what he's doing and doesn't constantly make mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but I am not ready for 8 more years of this at this price clip
If there is a time to move Sergy, its now.. his NTC kicks in this offseason

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If there is a time to move Sergy, its now.. his NTC kicks in this offseason
Well, look. I'm also a known moron and should not be trusted in any assessment I make. I am basing this on that I truly deeply believe that a man's worth is measured in his absence. And it is SO unbelievably damning when a dude can play like the first 3 games of his career even reasonably well and we're already talking about him in a top 4 capacity because we're so desperate for help there. You wouldn't need it if your star was doing better

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Do you really give up on Sergachev after a single down season (mere 33 GP actually)? He is a 25 year old, big, well skating PMD playing more than 20 minutes every game. At this age he has already played in 475 regular season and almost 100 playoff games (98). He had 64 points last season. He is on pace for 58 points this season without PP1 time this time.

For all we know he could just have been playing injured, doesn’t get much sleep with the baby they got in the offseason or have to deal with other family issues (his home country is at war). Or it’s just the fact that the entire team stinks (stank?).

Also, who is better than him (now and potential) and available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad