Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I'd question the source. Russian sports media always seems to flirt with fan fiction.
Yeah, who knows. Slava Malamud has certainly made his feelings known over the years. According to him though, Serge's comments are from the Russian edition of Forbes Magazine, but the link he provides is Championat, so there's no direct link to his comments.

Here's the google translation, which of course is never perfect either.

“In the US, the cancel culture is higher than here. But, as we see, in the case of Provorov it did not work. We followed the news, many liberals and democrats were being “strangled”, trying to somehow do something about it, the NHL even wanted to pay a fine of $ 1 million and expel Ivan Provorov. It even sounded on NHL TV, they say, let him go to a special operation in Ukraine. He said this kind of crap. In general, what does he think? And this man still works there. This upset me, I don’t know how Ivan reacted to this, but I hope not very much,” Forbes.ru quotes Sergachev as saying.

Serge's closer to the NHL than any of us will ever be, but I don't know where he's getting the idea that the NHL was going to "expel" Provorov. That just seems ridiculous. Very very possible something's being lost in translation here or lost all together. The heart of this just feels like Serge trying to defend a friend. And as @Master P brought up, Serge also seems to taking aim at comments made by EJ Hradek on nhl network.

Anytime there's political talk on these boards, we really are walking a fine line. Gonna do my best to tip toe here. To me Serge can say what he wants, even if it's something I might not agree with, and it veers off from the typical hockey and sports talk. I always appreciate when these guys are less like robots. I don't want to say shut up and play because it simply doesn't align with my views. If a NHL player wants to put himself out there, go ahead. For example, I've always been proud of Stammer for being a vocal supporter of Brian Burke's You Can Play campaign since its inception over a decade ago. That said, with all things, if you're going to express yourself, and do so with your reach, power, and platform as a professional athlete, don't be surprised when fans express themselves right back or the media criticize. It comes with the territory. But I have to believe all these guys have been given some level of public relations mentorship in their career too to help craft what they say when a microphone and camera are present or deal with any blow back.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Do the lightning even do pride nights? Or did they do them? Or was it just a half hearted “stick tape” event? Did serge ever participate?

I’m torn because I definitely do not agree with what serge said, but if a player doesn’t want to wear the uniform he shouldn’t be made to, that kinda defeats the purpose. However, if they don’t wear it, they should be rightly criticized for an inflammatory position. It’s just how it is.

Not wearing the uniform does not mean that you don’t think “hockey is for everyone” but I cannot imagine the lightnings PR are happy with these statements. I’d expect some sort of “clarification” coming from serge soon.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Pretty sure we've only ever done the tape and sold pride merchandise for pride night. We didn't do warmup jerseys for it

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Do the lightning even do pride nights? Or did they do them? Or was it just a half hearted “stick tape” event? Did serge ever participate?

I’m torn because I definitely do not agree with what serge said, but if a player doesn’t want to wear the uniform he shouldn’t be made to, that kinda defeats the purpose. However, if they don’t wear it, they should be rightly criticized for an inflammatory position. It’s just how it is.

Not wearing the uniform does not mean that you don’t think “hockey is for everyone” but I cannot imagine the lightnings PR are happy with these statements. I’d expect some sort of “clarification” coming from serge soon.
We’ve done pride nights, just not anything with special warmup jerseys.

TB-Lightning-Pride-Night.png

C5NijcJXUAAe5Mw.jpg

There have been players who have taped their sticks for warm ups and they become one of a few merch items that get auctioned off after the game to support different non-profits

DXKcQbeUQAA_Pmg

DXKcQbeVoAAIYUX

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Feel like politics shouldn't be something sports so much. I feel like even all of our politicians themselves don't even know what's best for people or really even care about people in general. Such a scam. All of it. There also used to be a time as well where it didn't matter what your political stance was we kept it to ourselves and didn't make it any of our business because we don't know their story or shouldn't judge. Just my two cents.

Reactions: BoltsFanSinceDay1

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Feel like politics shouldn't be something sports so much. I feel like even all of our politicians themselves don't even know what's best for people or really even care about people in general. Such a scam. All of it. There also used to be a time as well where it didn't matter what your political stance was we kept it to ourselves and didn't make it any of our business because we don't know their story or shouldn't judge. Just my two cents.
Yeah but you can't be an activist without sticking your nose in people's business nowadays. It's not enough to advocate for your position you have to judge others constantly.

I think warmup jerseys are fine if they just chilled out about those that didn't wear them. It means less if you're just peer pressuring everyone. Let them go at their own pace. Be happy that like 90% of players wear it instead of focusing on the negative

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NHL stopped its teams from doing their own warm-up sweaters this season. I think it's now just the ones every team is required to do. Something like military appreciation, St. Patrick's Day, and Hockey Fights Cancer.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yeah but you can't be an activist without sticking your nose in people's business nowadays. It's not enough to advocate for your position you have to judge others constantly.

I think warmup jerseys are fine if they just chilled out about those that didn't wear them. It means less if you're just peer pressuring everyone. Let them go at their own pace. Be happy that like 90% of players wear it instead of focusing on the negative

But not everyone needs to be an activist (not saying thats what you are saying) nor should they some of them be. Some people should just not be involved in it because of simply who they are. It sounds nit picky but its kind of my stance on it. Should be more careful but we are learning too.

I just think it tends to be more public than ever and a lot of times it's for dumb reasons and/or likely harp on something that yea isn't right but since he has these political views it's one of most evil things to say or do. Or vice versa since hes on my political side its not a big deal. Or it was done years ago those ones can be a little ridiculous too. Again not saying that people don't deserve criticism for things like this. Just that cancel stuff can be a little preposterous and is used most times as political control.

People need to be held accountable yes and all our politicians and people need this maybe more than ever but at same time if we are trying to actually be sympathetic to people then you don't limit that to people you disagree with as well. Unless maybe they are trying to hurt or steal whatever that yea you need that attention and proper action needed. I just think people should try to understand people more and not just assume things because he said something that doesn't align with what you believe. Tends to be a issue now days and I don't care which side you "align" yourself with. Just a general problem imo with what we are seeing now days and could lead to slippery slope that really nobody is for.

Last edited:

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
"It even sounded on NHL TV, they say, let him go to a special operation in Ukraine. He said this kind of crap. In general, what does he think?"

One more Putin supporter. :facepalm:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If someone actually said that on NHL TV then I actually agree with Serg's comment there. That's f***ed up to say in response to such a small thing.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
"It even sounded on NHL TV, they say, let him go to a special operation in Ukraine. He said this kind of crap. In general, what does he think?"

One more Putin supporter. :facepalm:
Yeah I agree with serge here. It’s a bad dumb take that is dripping with inflammatory populist jingoism.

Reactions: Renopucker

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He’s a -14 this season. An unmitigated disaster. Trading McDonough and keeping the younger Serge seemed like a good idea at the time. But we don’t get paid the big bucks to decide.

Mcdonough Is still better today. He’s older too. And cheaper, by over 1 million. Serge sucks this year. He lost PP duties. Coop knows he sucks too.

kid needs to figure it out. Fast, or he’s just a bust. Or maybe he doesn’t need to figure it out. He already got paid

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
He’s a -14 this season. An unmitigated disaster. Trading McDonough and keeping the younger Serge seemed like a good idea at the time. But we don’t get paid the big bucks to decide.

Mcdonough Is still better today. He’s older too. And cheaper, by over 1 million. Serge sucks this year. He lost PP duties. Coop knows he sucks too.

kid needs to figure it out. Fast, or he’s just a bust. Or maybe he doesn’t need to figure it out. He already got paid
Mcd isn’t even playing right now. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your histrionic tantrum post.

Reactions: Peacefool

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
A friend of mine is a MN Wild fan and we often shoot the sh*t back and forth during games and it didn't take long for the name Dumbachev to crystalize, based on clockwork brainfarts by Matt Dumba and his Bolts counterpart Serg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad