Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev - Part 2

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’m not a huge fan of trading Sergachev and have long been a defender of his. But given the depth issues this team has, I can’t help but think that we could use a couple ~$4M players more than the one $8.5M guy. For me it’s not so much disappointment in Serg’s development as it is thinking that money could be put to better use spread around a bit more. Unless he puts it all together and becomes a legit 1D who can be trusted in all situations, he’s more of a luxury than a need at this point.

The problem of course is that just because we can free up space by trading Serg, unless he’s traded for those pieces directly (or as part of a multi-team deal which amounts to the same thing) there’s no guarantee we can acquire two ~$4M players worth the money. There’s little point in trading him for futures only to overpay for his replacement in the free agent market. So while I’d be open to moving him for the right pieces, I’m not in favor of just trading him for the sake of freeing up cap space with no thought to who specifically we’re going to use it for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meuracas

Nov 2, 2013
Serg can be awesome but given his salary/cap hit I just wish we’d see that side more often and less the side of defensive gaffes or boneheaded plays.

That being said I think trading him would be stupid. He’s the future replacement of Hedman and has shown flashes of being capable to fill that role. Yes, his current version is a little overpaid but finding a player of that calibre once Hedman falls off the cliff could take years.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I’m not a huge fan of trading Sergachev and have long been a defender of his. But given the depth issues this team has, I can’t help but think that we could use a couple ~$4M players more than the one $8.5M guy. For me it’s not so much disappointment in Serg’s development as it is thinking that money could be put to better use spread around a bit more. Unless he puts it all together and becomes a legit 1D who can be trusted in all situations, he’s more of a luxury than a need at this point.

The problem of course is that just because we can free up space by trading Serg, unless he’s traded for those pieces directly (or as part of a multi-team deal which amounts to the same thing) there’s no guarantee we can acquire two ~$4M players worth the money. There’s little point in trading him for futures only to overpay for his replacement in the free agent market. So while I’d be open to moving him for the right pieces, I’m not in favor of just trading him for the sake of freeing up cap space with no thought to who specifically we’re going to use it for.
He's not going to put together shit. He's been around for almost 600 NHL games counting the regular season and the playoffs. He is what he is at this point. Players don't suddenly take a big jump like would be needed here after playing so many games.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
He's not going to put together shit. He's been around for almost 600 NHL games counting the regular season and the playoffs. He is what he is at this point. Players don't suddenly take a big jump like would be needed here after playing so many games.
What about Josh Morrissey? Vince Dunn?

Reactions: EXTRAS

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Serg can be awesome but given his salary/cap hit I just wish we’d see that side more often and less the side of defensive gaffes or boneheaded plays.

That being said I think trading him would be stupid. He’s the future replacement of Hedman and has shown flashes of being capable to fill that role. Yes, his current version is a little overpaid but finding a player of that calibre once Hedman falls off the cliff could take years.

If he can step into Hedman’s shoes and be a true 1D in the imminent future then yes, it would be the height of foolishness to trade him. But can he do that, or is he what he will always be at this point: a talented but inconsistent player who shows flashes of elite play but who will never be able to give you that on a regular basis? I hate to say it but he’s reaching the age where if he doesn’t take that step forward soon, it’s doubtful he ever will.

And even if he will eventually become that player, what good does it do us if that doesn’t happen until Stamkos is gone, Hedman has fallen off a cliff, and Point and Cernak are debilitated by injuries? Our window is fast closing, the time to strike is now, and if we can get two solid players for one high-potential but ultimately unreliable one then it’s something I think we have to at least consider.

Reactions: Meuracas

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Notice Raddysh and Perbix have both gotten better no longer playing alongside him. If Sergachev was making only $6 million a season I wouldn't care so much. But I can't take it anymore that we constantly have to strategize how to babysit around the mistakes he makes. And the thing is the guy come playoff time is practically mistake free.

It's driving me nuts because Sergachev has been probably our best playoff performer these last 2 years. At this point I'm convinced what he is and is not doing is deliberate

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think expecting Sergachev to ever step into Hedman's shoes is a bit much. IMO he was always supposed to be the #2, and he has had a lot of struggles to grow into that.

Yeah but he's the 12th highest paid defenseman in the league, he is priced as a #1 which is an issue.

We have seen tons of defenseman and teams falter because their supposed #1 can't play an all around game, Sergachev, who has had his hand held pretty much his entire career is going to struggle if put in that role.

Just hope that Hedman pound out a few more years and sign a good extension.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think expecting Sergachev to ever step into Hedman's shoes is a bit much. IMO he was always supposed to be the #2, and he has had a lot of struggles to grow into that.

This was my belief too until he signed that extension. I could say the same thing about what we gave up for Jeannot, JBB is raising the expectations of these guys.

Sergachev scored 64 points last year and played 23 minutes a night, we should be happy with that kind of performance each year, he just has to stop making careless brain dead plays on the nightly.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This was my belief too until he signed that extension. I could say the same thing about what we gave up for Jeannot, JBB is raising the expectations of these guys.

Sergachev scored 64 points last year and played 23 minutes a night, we should be happy with that kind of performance each year, he just has to stop making careless brain dead plays on the nightly.
If I'm not mistaken, he spent a lot of time on PP1 to put up those points though. And the D has always been more miss than hit.

Contract or not, i dont think it's a good bet to assume Sergachev will grow into anything close to Hedman. In 3 years #1D will all be 10+ though.

Hedman is a first ballot hall of Famer, easily. It will be near impossible to fill those shoes for anyone, but there are whole tiers, and a log of them, between Sergachev and prime Hedman.

Reactions: aylib and Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If I'm not mistaken, he spent a lot of time on PP1 to put up those points though. And the D has always been more miss than hit.

Contract or not, i dont think it's a good bet to assume Sergachev will grow into anything close to Hedman. In 3 years #1D will all be 10+ though.

Hedman is a first ballot hall of Famer, easily. It will be near impossible to fill those shoes for anyone, but there are whole tiers, and a log of them, between Sergachev and prime Hedman.

When talking about Sergachev I'm definitely not suggesting that he could supplant Hedman, just speaking of his production.

In three years he'll be halfway through his contract, do we really want to consider his 8.5AAV contract fair value if he isn't playing like a #1 at that point?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'd just settle for him making games easier for us to win instead of mistakes that make it more difficult. Given all the talent we've lost its hard enough as it is. To win a Cup, that team is playing some 100 games. I don't need 100 perfect games. But at this rate we'd be lucky to see 45 acceptable games

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009

Less than half of his points came on the power play last year, and he actually generated a lot of offense at even strength:

1000002709.png

I think we’re discounting how good he was last year too much. I think there will always be parts of his game that are frustrating (turnovers) but I expect him still hover around as a top 30 defensemen in the league. It’s too early to give up on him, I’m willing to chalk this up as an off year.

Reactions: OffBy1 and Rschmitz

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Less than half of his points came on the power play last year, and he actually generated a lot of offense at even strength:

View attachment 808669

I think we’re discounting how good he was last year too much. I think there will always be parts of his game that are frustrating (turnovers) but I expect him still hover around as a top 30 defensemen in the league. It’s too early to give up on him, I’m willing to chalk this up as an off year.
haha your charts and graphs are nothing but tears in the rain compared to the epic bacon reddit atheist fedora dawkins internet groupthink posts here from the hivemind of serge haters that are super creative. like when poster says he is "boneheaded" and "dumb", but never provides an example, because: they don't have to, he is always bad.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

View attachment 808669

That's still a big chunk of 63. I'm just saying that's not what we can expect if he's not on the top unit.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

View attachment 808669

The problem with saying nice things about Sergachev is that RussianGuyovich chimes in, and you immediately wanna take it back.

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
haha your charts and graphs are nothing but tears in the rain compared to the epic bacon reddit atheist fedora dawkins internet groupthink posts here from the hivemind of serge haters that are super creative. like when poster says he is "boneheaded" and "dumb", but never provides an example, because: they don't have to, he is always bad.
You're funny. The day after most games he played this year, no one needs your 15 adjective poster ranting about Serge to spell out examples because his blunders are usually the type that are burned into memory and every knows what play(s) they are talking about - which are also represented by his blue line worst plus/minus. You seem to want a mathematical proof for something that unfolded before our eyes on a near nightly basis before he got hurt.

He gets the boneheaded and dumb comments because that's where his problem lies, in his decision making, as he has all the physical talent we could want. Hopefully these decision making mistakes can be coached out of him some day. He could be a true #1 if so.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
You're funny. The day after most games he played this year, no one needs your 15 adjective poster ranting about Serge to spell out examples because his blunders are usually the type that are burned into memory and every knows what play(s) they are talking about - which are also represented by his blue line worst plus/minus. You seem to want a mathematical proof for something that unfolded before our eyes on a near nightly basis before he got hurt.

He gets the boneheaded and dumb comments because that's where his problem lies, in his decision making, as he has all the physical talent we could want. Hopefully these decision making mistakes can be coached out of him some day. He could be a true #1 if so.
I didn’t read this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad