mikeyehev and korshkov

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
4th on the team in goals behind the 3 $11 million players - without any PP time. This narrative needs to die.

He also hasn't played an ES shift without Matthews or Tavares. Yes, people crap on him a lot, but he's also been afforded (extended) opportunities that few other players with his offensive output would get.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
He also hasn't played an ES shift without Matthews or Tavares. Yes, people crap on him a lot, but he's also been afforded (extended) opportunities that few other players with his offensive output would get.
AJ and KK played with Matthews, and yet did no better while being afforded PP time, and not being as good on the boards and forecheck.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The lack of respect for Hyman ridiculous.

Both Ruskies are top 9 quality nhl players in Mumbai opinion. Mik seems a lot more we’ll rounder.
I got the frustration with Hyman in 2016-17. He literally couldn't finish. The past 2 years he's been fine. He never tries to do too much or overthink it (something Kapanen can struggle with). Is he your classic top-line forward? Absolutely not. But, his 5v5 production is fine and he fills something we lack. But, some people would rather absolutely stack the 1st line rather than spread depth throughout the line-up. Would I love a player like Landeskog who can basically do everything Hyman does, but with a significantly higher skill level, or a Matthew Tkachuk? Absolutely. But, the Leafs don't have anything close to resembling a highly skilled and high-iq player who is a beast on the forecheck, plays with tenacity while adding a good offensive game. I had hoped Grundstrom was that, and maybe Mikeyev can be a Kulemin type player for us. But, I feel the Hyman backlash is pretty outdated, and mostly tied to the dislike for Babcock at this point. If he was gifted top PP minutes, I'd agree with everyone. But, he sees almost no PP time.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
People getting down on Hyman being in the top six. Look at some of the LW's on recent repeat Cup winners...
Pittsburgh Conor Sheary, Chris Kunitz
L.A. King's Dwight King, Kyle Clifford
Chicago's Brandon Saad, Bryan Bickell, Victor Stralberg

As much as we'd like more offense out of Hyman, the team needs more 'Hyman' from the offense.
Playing against a dismantled team in the pre-season proves nothing.

Reactions: uncleben and kb

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's played a bunch, considering he played 82 games for us in 2017-18, while Matthews was injured for 20 of those and Tavares resided in Long Island.

His offensive output for the 3rd wheel at 5v5 has been fine since the start of 2017/18. He's 95th in total points among forwards at 5v5, and 83rd in primary points. If he got constant PP time, he'd probably be a 50 point player (not that he should get that opportunity).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
without Dad on the bench Hyman would be in tough to be a regular in our lineup , nice how people ignore almost 1/3 of his goals were into an empty and how Daddy encouraged him to blow our zone early to score them

anyway i could be wrong so if Marner/JT struggle to score without him i'll gladly come on here admit i was wrong about his importance to them producing even though Mathews still scored without Hyman feeding him tap ins

Last edited:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
AJ and KK played with Matthews, and yet did no better while being afforded PP time, and not being as good on the boards and forecheck.
Different tool set...more top sixish...The top lines would be better with players more able to produce...Jt and Marner don't need a digger who can't pass and scores on happenstance,off his arse and empty netters!....Go ahead ..root a toot toot for Hyman...I don't dislike the player ,just where he plays.I've seen enough to know it could be a better line.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Considering a 76 point nhler was taken a few picks after him, it's a miss.

No scout is perfect, but this selection likely not going to be one of Hunters stronger moments with the Leafs

I'm not a huge fan of Hunter's drafting ability, especially when it comes to those lumbering 6 footer defensemen, but we drafted 31st in that draft and Chicago picked Debrincat with the 39th pick, not exactly a few picks later.

Yes, I wish we had drafted him, and I suspect he would have been more highly rated by our current group, but to say Hunter blew it on a single player drafted 8 slots later isn't exactly fair. Lots of teams passed on Debrincat and maybe he just found the perfect home in Chicago.

Reactions: definedMF

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
People getting down on Hyman being in the top six. Look at some of the LW's on recent repeat Cup winners...

As much as we'd like more offense out of Hyman, the team needs more 'Hyman' from the offense.
I would take any of those players alongside Jt and Marner over Hyman.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Hate to say this because I am a huge fan but....

I think Korshkov could "out-Goat" the Goat.

You mean skate around slowly and hug guys in the corner once in a while? ;)

From what I've seen so far Mikeyehev brings more to the table than that.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Unless you have a case study of another bottom 6 player who racked up points playing with either Matthews, Marner or Nylander like he did, you don't have much of an argument to support your assertion.
I know when a player is talented or not...don't you? I don't agree with Babs strategy ...it hasn't got the Leafs past the first round yet...He keeps getting out-coached and I think it is easy for the other teams to double up on Marner and JT because Hyman isn't a legitimate threat to score ! There are better players suited for an offensive role...Babs trying to 'spread out his talent and grit hasn't done any good in the playoffs...his obsession with Hyman is unhealthy!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not a huge fan of Hunter's drafting ability, especially when it comes to those lumbering 6 footer defensemen, but we drafted 31st in that draft and Chicago picked Debrincat with the 39th pick, not exactly a few picks later.

Yes, I wish we had drafted him, and I suspect he would have been more highly rated by our current group, but to say Hunter blew it on a single player drafted 8 slots later isn't exactly fair. Lots of teams passed on Debrincat and maybe he just found the perfect home in Chicago.

Less than 10 is what I'd consider to be a "few", especially at the draft. I don't care that other teams also flubbed the pick - I care that Hunter went out of his way to draft a player that was way out of left field in terms of the rankings and that 2) plenty of armchair scouts on these boards would have gotten it right- it's not as if Debrincat was a random "boom" pick, he was well in the cluster of theb
guys who could have been taken with the Leafs pick.

It was a complete flop by Hunter and his scouting team. Made worse by the fact that the Leafs had the first pick of the 2nd round. The entire draft was at their disposal, and Korshkov was their man....

Now I wont claim that this 1 pick defines Hunter's scouting ability, or that it means entire tenure with the Leafs was bad. But this was a flop of a decision.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

I think we're all looking to see Babs do more to try an optimize the lineup. Maybe Hy is top 6 quality in TO but also maybe there are better options which Babs hasn't done enough to determine. Johnsson had 43 points in his rookie season, Kappy 44 points in his first full season, Hy has never reached those levels while always playing with AM or JT as his centers.

I'd like to see more experimenting this year looking for the best options in TO's top 6 forwards, that might end up being Mikheyev plus one of the 3 mentioned.

We saw a sub .500 team finish out the year last year, a team that was losing to the likes of Ottawa and Arizona, with 8 regulars injured, we also saw teams like Detroit outplay TO, that needs to stop and the best way would be is to have the right players do the jobs they are best suited to.

Reactions: hector morrison

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Less than 10 is what I'd consider to be a "few", especially at the draft. I don't care that other teams also flubbed the pick - I care that Hunter went out of his way to draft a player that was way out of left field in terms of the rankings and that 2) plenty of armchair scouts on these boards would have gotten it right- it's not as if Debrincat was a random "boom" pick, he was well in the cluster of theb
guys who could have been taken with the Leafs pick.

It was a complete flop by Hunter and his scouting team. Made worse by the fact that the Leafs had the first pick of the 2nd round. The entire draft was at their disposal, and Korshkov was their man....

Now I wont claim that this 1 pick defines Hunter's scouting ability, or that it means entire tenure with the Leafs was bad. But this was a flop of a decision.

Not to be pedantic, but a few is definitely not 8. Also, 38 other picks occurred before this "superstar" everyone was aware of was picked at 38th by Chicago. You need to dial back the rhetoric as describing Hunter not picking Debrincat at 31 as a complete flop is patently ridiculous.

Reactions: DarkKnight

horner

May 22, 2007
without Dad on the bench Hyman would be in tough to be a regular in our lineup , nice how people ignore almost 1/3 of his goals were into an empty and how Daddy encouraged him to blow our zone early to score them

anyway i could be wrong so if Marner/JT struggle to score without him i'll gladly come on here admit i was wrong about his importance to them producing even though Mathews still scored without Hyman feeding him tap ins
daddy knows a little bit more about what it takes take a hockey team than we do.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
If Kapanen plays well in the top 6, hopefully he solidifies a top 6 spot long term and Hyman finally plays where he belongs.

Johnsson - Mathews - Nylander
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Hyman - Spezza - Korshkov
What I saw last night in Mikheyev, was a kid that was flying, he was all over the ice, hitting, killing penalties, a hound on the puck. What I am hoping to see sometine is:
Moore-Matty - Nylander
Mikheyev- JT- Marner
AJ-Kerfoot - Kappy
Goat- Spezza- Hyman
Lines 1, 2 and 4, have hounds and playmakers, Line 3 is speed, speed speed

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm a kapanen fan.
But think he looks better on the 3rd line with Kerfoot... let him wheel.

Mikhayev - Tavares - Marner.

Hes got some nice wheels himself, seems to mesh into that line as a complimentary piece.

If Johnsson impresses ..we can ease Hyman back into the lineup. Making a very strong 3rd line Hyman-Kerfoot-Kapanen

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I'm a kapanen fan.
But think he looks better on the 3rd line with Kerfoot... let him wheel.

Mikhayev - Tavares - Marner.

Hes got some nice wheels himself, seems to mesh into that line as a complimentary piece.

If Johnsson impresses ..we can ease Hyman back into the lineup. Making a very strong 3rd line Hyman-Kerfoot-Kapanen

Can we please stop with the Mikaev crap?

it's Mikheev. And Pronounced Mee-hey-ev. The K is silent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad