mikeyehev and korshkov

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
They'll have to correct it then, as I see it Mikheyev everywhere.

All the media people keep calling him Mikaev

In Russian the H is a harder than in English so to emphasize it, when they translate, they add the K in front.

K is silent.

Khabibulin Хабибулин
Kharalmov Харламов
Malakhov Малахов
Mikheyev - Михеев

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Has Mikheyev actually shown some grit? Im genuinely asking. I havent watched many of his games yet.

From a very small glimpse, he clearly looked like he has size but seemed pretty soft in using it. Had great hands though.
put it this way, physical contact and him aren't strangers

he's not a monster hitter(at least haven't seen that yet!), but he finishes his checks and wins board battles

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
If Kapanen plays well in the top 6, hopefully he solidifies a top 6 spot long term and Hyman finally plays where he belongs.

Johnsson - Mathews - Nylander
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Hyman - Spezza - Korshkov

Hyman will play with JT and Mitch, you know, where he belongs!

Johnsson - Mathews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kerfoot - Moore
Mikheyev - Spezza/Goat - Korshkov

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
without Dad on the bench Hyman would be in tough to be a regular in our lineup , nice how people ignore almost 1/3 of his goals were into an empty and how Daddy encouraged him to blow our zone early to score them

anyway i could be wrong so if Marner/JT struggle to score without him i'll gladly come on here admit i was wrong about his importance to them producing even though Mathews still scored without Hyman feeding him tap ins

I don't think you'll have to worry about that, lol

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
And have his line get caved in because no one goes into the corners, where a fair amount of the game is played?
You have no evidence of a line caving in without hymen. You may use mathews Def play last season but he also didn't have willy either. Hymen is looking more adequate but come on he doesn't need to be a staple in the top 6. Also guys with that much ice time with guys like willy m, jt, am and mitch will get scoring opportunities. So his goals is expected even without pp time as it would be for anyone who plays that much with your top guys.

Now take a look at off created by hymen and you will see that plays do die on his stick. Some of it dies in a good way where he is in the corner holding it for someone to come in to pull it out of his feet. A lot just ends up being turn overs or broken plays because he doesn't have the off iq to make better plays. He stalls the offensive creativity and fluidity on a lot of plays, the tic tax toes, the hard crisp pass, the back and forth cycling between a line.

He goes to the corner yes but after that his only move is rushing to the front of the net and parking it there. Even then he has a very limited set of skills at net, not a great tipper, doesn't corral the puck for more then his usually banging at the puck, can't get the puck up in close and not good at reading 2nd, 3rd play option when he has the puck. I don't think I've seen him make a jvr type plays once when hymen has the puck in tight, just whack a mole hockey for him.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Unless you have a case study of another bottom 6 player who racked up points playing with either Matthews, Marner or Nylander like he did, you don't have much of an argument to support your assertion.
Then why would you bring it up if there is nothing to compare it too. Even without ref many can theorize that playing with top guys every season should improve your stats.

There are also players in the past that didn't improve each season when they get taken off offensive lines for better players ex. connor brown. Unfortunately we will never see it while baba around. The point is why stick to hymen if you could maybe find a debrusk, Landy, Anderson, Nino, gally etc. Guys who does what hymen can do but also can make plays when opp arises.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
I'm still trying to figure out who came up with "Mango" (and what the hell it means) when referring to Johnsson.

Maybe someone who works for TSN?

I can't even listen to the radio. Even our hockey analysts have incomprehensible nicknames.

It took me a bit to figure out who Noodles and O-Dog were. Or is it O-Dawg? So embarrassing.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
I got the frustration with Hyman in 2016-17. He literally couldn't finish. The past 2 years he's been fine. He never tries to do too much or overthink it (something Kapanen can struggle with). Is he your classic top-line forward? Absolutely not. But, his 5v5 production is fine and he fills something we lack. But, some people would rather absolutely stack the 1st line rather than spread depth throughout the line-up. Would I love a player like Landeskog who can basically do everything Hyman does, but with a significantly higher skill level, or a Matthew Tkachuk? Absolutely. But, the Leafs don't have anything close to resembling a highly skilled and high-iq player who is a beast on the forecheck, plays with tenacity while adding a good offensive game. I had hoped Grundstrom was that, and maybe Mikeyev can be a Kulemin type player for us. But, I feel the Hyman backlash is pretty outdated, and mostly tied to the dislike for Babcock at this point. If he was gifted top PP minutes, I'd agree with everyone. But, he sees almost no PP time.
It's not even pp time, just seen to much plays go nowhere or stall because he can't read the offense, dude has no backup option when he has the puck. A guy who plays that much with top guys should get 20/20 with no pp thats should even be questioned. I just rather see it go to a guy like korshkov, mik and etc eventually.

I know not doing to much is good at times but come on he needs to read plays a Lil better and make those secondary options when he has the puck. We may not have a landy in our mix but maybe can find a Nino, a gally, a debrusk etc also grundy was my guy too for the spot still want him back.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Then why would you bring it up if there is nothing to compare it too. Even without ref many can theorize that playing with top guys every season should improve your stats.

There are also players in the past that didn't improve each season when they get taken off offensive lines for better players ex. connor brown. Unfortunately we will never see it while baba around. The point is why stick to hymen if you could maybe find a debrusk, Landy, Anderson, Nino, gally etc. Guys who does what hymen can do but also can make plays when opp arises.

Yeah, I didn't "bring up" Hyman, dude. OP mentioned him while talking about Mikheyev, and I simply provided a relevant stat as to why he isn't the typical bottom 6 "plug" that alot of morons in this thread like to shit on him about. How is it his fault that his coach puts him on the top line?... What do you expect him to say?... "Uhhh Babs, I don't think I'm talented enough....durrrrr" LOL, unbelievable the amount of hate he receives by alot of Leaf fans on these boards.

I'll say this though...give me a couple of more Zach Hyman type players on this team, than a couple of soft perimeter players like William Nylander any day of the week--and twice on Sunday.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
He's played a bunch, considering he played 82 games for us in 2017-18, while Matthews was injured for 20 of those and Tavares resided in Long Island.

His offensive output for the 3rd wheel at 5v5 has been fine since the start of 2017/18. He's 95th in total points among forwards at 5v5, and 83rd in primary points. If he got constant PP time, he'd probably be a 50 point player (not that he should get that opportunity).
You can't say that though, "if he got pp time" . It's his lack of off skills that leads to no pp time. Also 20 is still not enough to see what he can do away fromm the top guys. I also like to see these primary points and what he does to get them. Also now that 95th and 83rd is cool and all but again that's all with top line guys. Would like to see some the other guys behind him and see who they play with and how many mins they get per game.

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Is Seven Even as your username supposed moronic on purpose as your profile suggests?

Maybe someone who works for TSN?

I can't even listen to the radio. Even our hockey analysts have incomprehensible nicknames.

It took me a bit to figure out who Noodles and O-Dog were. Or is it O-Dawg? So embarrassing.

Jamie Mclennan. I'm guessing he's referred to that due to his Noodle sized arms?...Either way, not a flattering nickname.

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
put it this way, physical contact and him aren't strangers

he's not a monster hitter(at least haven't seen that yet!), but he finishes his checks and wins board battles

That's a good assessment. For comparison, I see a lot of Nik Kulemin in his game. Plays hard, good on the forecheck, defensively responsible, and seems to have solid offensive instincts (like Kuly in his first few years).

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Both are exceptional . Koshkov surprisingly has soft hands for a big man, and his smooth skating stride puts him in the top nine. Top six eventually

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not to be pedantic, but a few is definitely not 8. Also, 38 other picks occurred before this "superstar" everyone was aware of was picked at 38th by Chicago. You need to dial back the rhetoric as describing Hunter not picking Debrincat at 31 as a complete flop is patently ridiculous.

It absolutely is not, considering where Debrincat was in pre draft rankings. He was absolutely somebody in contention for the Leafs pick. And let's not forget, Korshkov was a completely off the board selection - not ranked anywhere near 31 heading into the draft.

There were complete amateurs on here the day of the draft arguing for Debrincat. That's not a good look for a supposed "draft guru" when their job could have been done better by some random chumps who probably never seen most of those guys play before

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
LOL bro your an idiot nothing you said makes a difference to the fact you made an idiot statement. Also you really believe I can't spell heman name Lmfao hayman can have all the balls he wants it don't mean **** when you don't have the skills. You hear yourself, you see what you wrote to defend your decision on Herman because if you did then you would know why I'm calling you an idiot.

You sound like you belong on Xbox live.

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
LOL bro your an idiot nothing you said makes a difference to the fact you made an idiot statement. Also you really believe I can't spell heman name Lmfao hayman can have all the balls he wants it don't mean **** when you don't have the skills. You hear yourself, you see what you wrote to defend your decision on Herman because if you did then you would know why I'm calling you an idiot.

* You're. But thanks for making my point...BRO...:laugh:

Lastly, who is Hayman and Herman? What a god awful post laced with idiocy and bad grammar.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
* You're. But thanks for making my point...BRO...:laugh:

Lastly, who is Hayman and Herman?
Didn't ya hear? Herman is joining the Leafs. He's gonna have a real tough time shooting the puck with one arm though!

64.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->