mikeyehev and korshkov

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Babcock is never playing hyman on the 4th.

Besides, I'm starting to like Hyman up in the top 6. We're already soft as it is. We need to spread out our physicality as much as we can

If Johnsson and Kapanen light it up, he may not have a choice. It's all about results and winning

Reactions: smitty10

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Korshkov can turn into a legit top 9 player, Hunter's 2nd round draft record is looking pretty impressive given that most 2nd rounders amount to absolutely nothing of real value. Yeah, some of the guys he passed on for Korshkov is going to hurt, but, if we got a bonafide top 9 player at 31 that is still a win, just not as big a win as getting Girard or Debrincat would have been.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Ciao

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Has Mikheyev actually shown some grit? Im genuinely asking. I havent watched many of his games yet.

From a very small glimpse, he clearly looked like he has size but seemed pretty soft in using it. Had great hands though.
He's not going around hitting people but he does a great job of using his big frame in front of the net and in the corners

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If Korshkov can turn into a legit top 9 player, Hunter's 2nd round draft record is looking pretty impressive given that most 2nd rounders amount to absolutely nothing of real value. Yeah, some of the guys he passed on for Korshkov is going to hurt, but, if we got a bonafide top 9 player at 31 that is still a win, just not as big a win as getting Girard or Debrincat would have been.

My problem with the Korshkov pick is that we likely could have had him with our next pick. It didn't have to be Girard/Hart/Debrincat OR Korshkov, we could have had both.

Just a weird valuation of how much other teams would have wanted to draft a double overager in Russia with mediocre stats if we didn't beat them to it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
My problem with the Korshkov pick is that we likely could have had him with our next pick. It didn't have to be Girard/Hart/Debrincat OR Korshkov, we could have had both.

Just a weird valuation of how much other teams would have wanted to draft a double overager in Russia with mediocre stats if we didn't beat them to it.
I have a feeling Debrincat is someone Dubas wanted but they passed on him bc of his size. Honestly, I think our board will explode if Leafs drafted Debrincat that day. For me I thought the Leafs was going to draft Benson or Hart.

Reactions: Eye Test

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I have a feeling Debrincat is someone Dubas wanted but they passed on him bc of his size. Honestly, I think our board will explode if Leafs drafted Debrincat that day. For me I thought the Leafs was going to draft Benson or Hart.

There were plenty of good obvious options, it seems like Hunter wanted to show everyone that he's the smartest guy in the room and go for something out of left field.

If we swung and missed on a Benson/Kyrou or one of the regular guys ranked in the low 30s, no one would be upset. 31 is too strong of a pick to get weird with.

Reactions: Faltorvo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There were plenty of good obvious options, it seems like Hunter wanted to show everyone that he's the smartest guy in the room and go for something out of left field.

If we swung and missed on a Benson/Kyrou or one of the regular guys ranked in the low 30s, no one would be upset. 31 is too strong of a pick to get weird with.
You are overvaluing the 31st pick. Guys drafted from 25-30 pretty much become something of value to you NHL team like 30% of the time. If Korshkov becomes a top 9 player, which he still has the chance to, that's a hit regardless of who was taken after him. Korshkov also got injured twice, which sure as hell didn't help his development. By your same standards SDA and Hollowell were essentially the smartest guy in the room picks. Korshkov was a reach.

Your logic basically amounts to, it is fine to bust if you just draft with consensus. At the end of the day, results are all that matter. If you draft a consensus bust, it is just as bad as drafting a reach bust. Just look at the Oilers, Puljujarvi, Yakupov, and MPS were all consensus guys in their range, and those misses are crippling. Maybe if you do something crazy in the top 10. But once you get out of day one of the draft, a miss is a miss.

If Korshkov somehow turns into a decent 3rd line winger, which is still possible, that is a better pick than you usually get in the 31-35 range. Yeah, its not a Debrincat or an Aho, but those are extreme exceptions. The list of guys drafted in that range tends to be filled with more guys like TJ Brennen, Tomas Kana, Chris Bigras, Landon Ferraro and Chris Bigras. I wasn't a huge fan of the Korshkov pick, but, if he just turns into a competent third liner for 300 to 400 NHL games, that is beating the expected value of that pick.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Mikheyev, yes. Looked like I hoped, not like I feared (and expected.)

Korshkov, no. I think all of Timashov, Petan, Agostino, and Shore has shown more than him. He's shown some qualities, but too rarely and not enough to redeem his non-NHL qualities.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Korshkov, no. I think all of Timashov, Petan, Agostino, and Shore has shown more than him. He's shown some qualities, but too rarely and not enough to redeem his non-NHL qualities.

Agreed. I don't think it hurts to have him start on the Marlies either. He's still adjusting to the quickness of the NHL rink IMO.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

It might just be a comfort thing for Korshkov. Flashes here and there make him appear promising. But you’re right, especially watching this game tonight, I think he would be in tough against NHL players night in and night out.

Agostino and Timashov is the toss up for me.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love that he has a big body and a whole bunch of speed. Hopefully he can be a 3rd line shid disturber to pound the D. Crucial are of need.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Have you ever watched Mikheyev play? How could you know. I’ve never seen him play against NHL talent so I still have no idea. He looks the part, but if Torey Krug tells him to EFF Off, and he does, what good is he?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Mikheyev could use another Russian in the lineup, I don't believe his English is strong yet and we've heard a few stories of players coming over from Eastern Europe and finding it difficult without a country mate.

Now that would mean Korshkov over Timashov as the latter is Ukranian - and yes, that is an important difference given the ongoing situation between the two countries (Though I obviously have no idea how either of those guys feel about that). Of course there's no way any roster decision would be based on ensuring Mikheyev had a countryman in the locker room, just be great if it worked out that way.

Reactions: Cobra777

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Mikheyev had a really impressive preseason,S reminded me of like Stalberg some years ago - crazy speed, utility winger with offensive upside. The guy willed himself onto the lineup. What's left to be seen is if he can play balls-to-the-wall for 82+ games this year, which is something KHL players usually have trouble with.

Reactions: crump

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Mikheyev had a really impressive preseason,S reminded me of like Stalberg some years ago - crazy speed, utility winger with offensive upside. The guy willed himself onto the lineup. What's left to be seen is if he can play balls-to-the-wall for 82+ games this year, which is something KHL players usually have trouble with.
agree, his highest season is 62 games. I wonder if he'll hit a wall in Feb/March. It looks like it will be fun watching this guy. Hope he scores early to get his confidence up.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
What I find annoying is that it was an easy pick to make, there really wasn't anyone in the 2nd round pick that appealed to me. DeBrincat was the best player left on the board, but I knew the leafs wouldn't draft him. Frustrating.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

the good thing is mikheyev had hands... stalberg really only had speed and his speed was basically straight line only

Reactions: therealkoho

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Hate to say this because I am a huge fan but....

I think Korshkov could "out-Goat" the Goat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad