Mike Smith Is So Bad

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He will prevent Calgary from doing any real damage in the playoffs.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Weird when I suggested goaltending will be a question mark at playoff time, I was told it was a hot take and basically laughed at.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Weird when I suggested goaltending will be a question mark at playoff time, I was told it was a hot take and basically laughed at.
Most flames fan only think it will be a question mark of Smith starts.

We all have much more faith in Rittich, I dont understand what the coaching staff sees in Smith.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Most flames fan only think it will be a question mark of Smith starts.

We all have much more faith in Rittich, I dont understand what the coaching staff sees in Smith.

Which is fine. Rittich clearly has played well. Although you cant tell me he isnt still a question mark come playoff time.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Yes, I would prefer if Rittich got more starts.

They might be trying to keep him fresh for the playoffs.

He only played 33 games last year and 32 the year before. He's already at 36, so if they played him as a proper starter + playoffs, he'd be looking at ~60-75 games, depending on how deep Calgary goes.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Which is fine. Rittich clearly has played well. Although you cant tell me he isnt still a question mark come playoff time.
No forsure I understand your point of view, but personally I think Ritter is a middle of the pack starter.

Would be hard pressed to find 20 other goalies I would rather go into battle with.

Sure he is young and is just starting in the league but every goalie starts somewhere.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
But but Flames fans said they did not need a goalie at the TDL!!
#notallflamesfans

Personally I can't see the Flames going to the SCF with our current tandem. Treliving has done a great job overall but he keeps half-assing the goalie situation year after year.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
This guy is so bad. Ruined the night for Flames fans with his terrible play and lack of basic knowledge.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING STILL STANDING BEHIND YOUR NET?!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Smith always gets jumped on when he makes this kind of mistake. Like a risk taking Dman sometimes he will get burned but I bet his fantastic puck handling and passing greatly outweighs the few head scratchers he makes every season.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
If they'd only listened to you, they wouldn't be in this mess!! You told them, Aristotle.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Smith always gets jumped on when he makes this kind of mistake. Like a risk taking Dman sometimes he will get burned but I bet his fantastic puck handling and passing greatly outweighs the few head scratchers he makes every season.
This wasn't even a puck handling thing it's more a decision making thing. He doesn't even have possession of the puck and just sits there despite being body blocked by his own defenseman and has about 6 seconds to think to himself "Maybe I should get back in my net" and doesn't even make an effort to get back there. He slowly moses back to the net like the puck has already left the zone.

We likely at the very least get a point out of that game if he just moves back into his net after he loses the puck instead of trying to play D man. The 4th goal was just a cherry on top unscreened shot from above the hashmarks goes 5 hole because Smith has awful stick positioning.

Reactions: Mitts

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Know it’s been a while, but my god what a brutal game in iggys retirement night. 2nd and 4th goalies are entirely on him ffs.

I don't know what Peters is thinking trying to force him into the starting role again. Every time you start him over Rittich you are playing with fire.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
As good as they are up front would be shocked if they get passed 2nd round with Smith. Rittich obviously a playoff unknown. Lundqvist would have been a perfect fit ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith, whenever he plays (which is hopefully very sparingly from now on), should be lashed to the net with rope. Just take the nets off for flooding with Smith still tied there, and bring him out for the next period.
Yes, force a goaltender to change their style of play, that ALWAYS has good results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad