Mike Smith Is So Bad

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
For added context, the Flames outshot the Habs 45 to 22, and the announcers were saying that since the start of the 2nd till about 5 minutes left it was 32 shots to 13 and a tie game.

This is very common for Bill Peters coached teams. They always have good corsi and tend to shoot from the peremiter too much.

Where can I find numbers comparing Calgary's high danger shooting % to the rest of the league?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That was such a back-breaker of a goal last night. I know it's cliche, but man I could have stopped that shot (not really but come on....).

Reactions: Bleedred

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is very common for Bill Peters coached teams. They always have good corsi and tend to shoot from the peremiter too much.

Where can I find numbers comparing Calgary's high danger shooting % to the rest of the league?

Not sure. But last night was not perimeter shots solely. Not saying they were all high danger, but there was a healthy mix of medium danger.

Only thing I'm blaming Peters for is continued playing of Smith when Rittich has been great.

Reactions: Mitts

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not sure. But last night was not perimeter shots solely. Not saying they were all high danger, but there was a healthy mix of medium danger.

Only thing I'm blaming Peters for is continued playing of Smith when Rittich has been great.

If memory serves me correctly he rode a terrible Scott Darling until Canes were eliminated then switched to Ward. I hope he learned his lesson but he seems stubborn and proud.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I am thinking that Tre doesn't think Rittich can handle a starter's role either. It is the only thing that makes sense at this point with starting Smith.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
5-7-1 .876 sv% 3.48 GAA

*Sniffles*

Brings a damn tear to my eye. Smitty, remember the Lightning promotions of 10 years ago "Together we will"

We did it buddy. And we did it together. I'm so proud to be witness to these precious moments

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The real story is Smith is only 2 games under 0.500 despite being the worst goalie in the NHL this season.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Calgary’s between a rock and a hard place. Rittich has been great so far, but he’s relatively unproven. Ideally you don’t want the success of your season hanging on his play.

But Smith hasn’t just been bad - he’s been the worst starter in the league this year. So I don’t think the Flames have much choice at this point. Even if Rittich regresses to last year’s form, Smith has been so awful that Rittich would still be the better option.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Know it’s been a while, but my god what a brutal game in iggys retirement night. 2nd and 4th goalies are entirely on him ffs.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Smith, whenever he plays (which is hopefully very sparingly from now on), should be lashed to the net with rope. Just take the nets off for flooding with Smith still tied there, and bring him out for the next period.

Yeah that's not happening. He gives it away once a game at least and it's never stopped him.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
That 2nd goal tonight was uniquely bad... Haven't seen one like that before, terrible awareness from Smith.

Stubbornly bad on that play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->