Mike Smith Is So Bad

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Smith always gets jumped on when he makes this kind of mistake. Like a risk taking Dman sometimes he will get burned but I bet his fantastic puck handling and passing greatly outweighs the few head scratchers he makes every season.
There was an article on this earlier. It looked at the statistical gain from puck-moving ability of the goalies around the league. The conclusion was that while Smith was a top-end puck-mover, he made mistakes at a rate far higher than almost any other goalie and that put his overall impact way back from the leaders.

His puck handling and passing do outweigh his mistakes, but the difference is that the top guys are closer to his ability with the puck while his decision-making isn't close to theirs.

Reactions: Chriscftb97

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

dude was trying to support his dman in a board battle instead of get back in the cage...o_O

then the stinker which sealed after CGY made it a 1 goal game.

he should be embarrassed for this performance on Iginla night

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Figures the one night Oiler fans were cheering for the Flames Smith botches it...

Smith botches it every game. If the Flames score under 4 goals they have basically no chance to win with him in net.

When Rittich starts and the Flames score only 2 goals, they are 6-7. When Smith starts and the Flames score only 2 goals they are 1-10. Tells you all you need to know. You need at minimum 3 goals with Smith in net and likely 4 or 5.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I actually thought, apart from that second goal, that Mike Smith played great. The Flames lost because they didn't get bounces offensively, and defensive lapses. All of the Wild goals involved undefended Wild players in front. There was also the goal from Andersson Fed up too, that resulted in the odd man rush. After the turnover, the Wild had a 4 on two, as no one seemed to hustle back.

I'd only put one goal (and it's obvious which one) on Smith.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I actually thought, apart from that second goal, that Mike Smith played great. The Flames lost because they didn't get bounces offensively, and defensive lapses. All of the Wild goals involved undefended Wild players in front. There was also the goal from Andersson Fed up too, that resulted in the odd man rush. After the turnover, the Wild had a 4 on two, as no one seemed to hustle back.

I'd only put one goal (and it's obvious which one) on Smith.

An average nhl goalie stops the 3rd goal. An average junior goalie stops the 4th.

Reactions: goku420

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I enjoy every bad game he has

LightheartedDeafeningHummingbird-max-1mb.gif

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
An average nhl goalie stops the 3rd goal. An average junior goalie stops the 4th.

Here's the highlights:

The 3rd goal invovled a trailer, while Smith was looking at the forming 2 on 1. It was a very quick pass to Suter. A goalie cannot be expected to handle that many angles at once. There was 4 Minnesota players coming back, and only 2 Flames.

I watched goal 4 again...you're correct on that one. Smith should have had it.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Playoffs are a different beast. Look what happened to Elliott for the Flames a couple of years ago. Decent regular season, 10 game win streak and was completely awful in the playoffs. Mike Smith doesn't have much longevity left, this might be his last kick at the can. He was a monster for Arizona in his one playoff run, hopefully he calms down and steps up in the playoffs.
If he tanks, he probably will be a backup for the rest of his career.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Wow that second goal was comical...btw hated the Nino trade but the Fenton's moves are not looking horrible right now. He was being laughed at for the Bos/Nashville trades. 5 wins in a row against some good teams too

Reactions: Devonator

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Playoffs are a different beast. Look what happened to Elliott for the Flames a couple of years ago. Decent regular season, 10 game win streak and was completely awful in the playoffs. Mike Smith doesn't have much longevity left, this might be his last kick at the can. He was a monster for Arizona in his one playoff run, hopefully he calms down and steps up in the playoffs.
If he tanks, he probably will be a backup for the rest of his career.

We now know what Smith will look like in the playoffs because the pressure was on last night and players wanted to badly get the win on Iginla night. What we saw last night will be what will happen in the playoffs.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Who's held their team back more this season? Mike Smith or Jake Allen?

Mike Smith has for sure cost the team 10 points at minimum. Flames would be right behind Tampa in points with just average goaltending from Smith. I'd be interested to know how many points Jake Allen has lost himself solely to compare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad