Mike Smith Is So Bad

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Who's held their team back more this season? Mike Smith or Jake Allen?

Mike Smith has cost the Flames 12 points this season from blowing games due to letting in (usually multiple) weak goals that sink the team. Flames could be within a point or two of Tampa if Mike Smith was anything more than awful.

He isn't capable of having an extended long run anymore, his style is too reflex based and unorthodox and he is just too old and his body is too broken down to utilize this style. That's why so many goals just simply go through him, because he can't clamp down on the puck quick enough. He usually doesn't get beat clean, they usually hit him and just go straight through.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
When you realize that Calgary is currently leading their division, yet they still struggle with goaltending consistency? A problem like sounds like a wild card position at best.

He may or may not play like he did when Arizona made the playoffs back in 2012 due to his current season performance. Even though Smith has a chance to turn his season around, what are the chances?

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
But but Flames fans said they did not need a goalie at the TDL!!

Not exactly true. They said they didn’t need Jimmy Howard - who isn’t going to get them any further than Rittich/Smith. It’s a need that is best addressed in the off season.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Not smart by treliving to not pickup a goalie. With that offense that was what the flames needed.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I still think Rittich is fine. An upgrade to Smith woulda been nice but at least they still have one good goalie

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Not smart by treliving to not pickup a goalie. With that offense that was what the flames needed.

What goalie? There weren’t any rock-solid goaltenders available at the deadline. Most of the good ones play for contenders.

EDIT: To be honest the offence has been more of an issue than the goaltending lately. The Flames are generating chances, but as a team they’re shooting under 7% over their last 10 games or so. The top line in particular has really disappeared.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Here's the highlights:

The 3rd goal invovled a trailer, while Smith was looking at the forming 2 on 1. It was a very quick pass to Suter. A goalie cannot be expected to handle that many angles at once. There was 4 Minnesota players coming back, and only 2 Flames.

I watched goal 4 again...you're correct on that one. Smith should have had it.

Plus the second goal where he should've stopped trying to play the puck and gotten back in net.

Reactions: Bleedred

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
What goalie? There weren’t any rock-solid goaltenders available at the deadline. Most of the good ones play for contenders.

EDIT: To be honest the offence has been more of an issue than the goaltending lately. The Flames are generating chances, but as a team they’re shooting under 7% over their last 10 games or so. The top line in particular has really disappeared.
Kinkaid is better than any Calgary goalie.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think people are overstating the amount of mistakes Smith makes with the puck. Rittich has made just as many (if not more) mistakes that have led directly to goals this year, and Rittich does not make up for it in good plays with the puck.

Smith has been starting more lately because he was playing strong and Rittich was starting to let in softies. I’m sure Peters plans to ride whoever is playing better and winning. Since the new year, Rittich hasn’t been any better than Smith.

Reactions: Rydgar

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I can't say for Rittich but Jimmy is 3 times the goalie Smith ever was, It would have been a cheap add in net for the playoffs.

Smith has been pretty solid in the second half until last night. Trading for Howard didn’t make any sense. Flames will ride the hot goalie for the playoffs. Doesn’t really matter which one.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He pretty much costed us the game.

Dubnyk in God mode + 2 Smith fails = loss

If the team scores 2 goals it’s not all on the goaltender. Yes the Flames outplayed Minnesota badly, but the lack of finish from the forwards was as much a cause of the loss as the goaltending.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I laughed for a few straight minutes at Smith’s play behind the net.

Of course Jake Allen’s botched play a few nights ago is right there with it.

Two horrid goalies.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid is better than any Calgary goalie.
I don't really think he is.

Maybe he is better than Smith, Mike Smith is the worst goalie in the league this year on my eye test.

You don't want him as anything more than a backup. He was on a hot streak last year, nothing more. He's not as good as he was last year (not as a starter at least, .913% as a backup is surely doable for him) and he's not as bad as he is this year.

He looked like he was having a mental breakdown his last few weeks in Jersey. Just bleeding goals. All kinds of really gross ones. Giving pucks away behind the net.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mike Smith has cost the Flames 12 points this season from blowing games due to letting in (usually multiple) weak goals that sink the team. Flames could be within a point or two of Tampa if Mike Smith was anything more than awful.

He isn't capable of having an extended long run anymore, his style is too reflex based and unorthodox and he is just too old and his body is too broken down to utilize this style. That's why so many goals just simply go through him, because he can't clamp down on the puck quick enough. He usually doesn't get beat clean, they usually hit him and just go straight through.
This is spot on.

He doesn't just give up a lot of goals he could have had, he gives up the softest goals of any goalie I've seen this year.

If you put together a highlight reel of soft goals this year, if you did a top-10, he'd probably have 3 or 4 of them. If you did a top-15, he'd probably have 6 or 7 of them. If you did a top-20, I think you'd have him in at least 10 of them.

The only goals I've seen this year (off the top of my head) that were worse than any goal Smith has allowed was Condon's dump in goal against from the other blue line to Derek Stepan, Matt Murray's goal allowed to Brooks Orpik on opening night, Martin Jones goal allowed to Drew Stafford and a Vegas goal (Tuch maybe?) on Cory Schneider.

Pucks just leak through him at an alarmingly high rate. Just hit him and trickle through either his legs or arms. And he can't play on the goal line anymore. It's just not working for him anymore. So many puck handling gaffes too.

Reactions: thaman8765678

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This is spot on.

He doesn't just give up a lot of goals he could have had, he gives up the softest goals of any goalie I've seen this year.

If you put together a highlight reel of soft goals this year, if you did a top-10, he'd probably have 3 or 4 of them. If you did a top-15, he'd probably have 6 or 7 of them. If you did a top-20, I think you'd have him in at least 10 of them.

The only goals I've seen this year (off the top of my head) that were worse than any goal Smith has allowed was Condon's dump in goal against from the other blue line to Derek Stepan, Matt Murray's goal allowed to Brooks Orpik on opening night, Martin Jones goal allowed to Drew Stafford and a Vegas goal (Tuch maybe?) on Cory Schneider.

Pucks just leak through him at an alarmingly high rate. Just hit him and trickle through either his legs or arms. And he can't play on the goal line anymore. It's just not working for him anymore. So many puck handling gaffes too.

That's the thing with Smith compared to a Bishop, Rinne, Price, etc. Smith is an elite puck mover, but he's nothing special in stopping forechecks, which is what the other 3 are great in, and he has poor decision making with the puck as well.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I wonder if whatever he tweaked against the Islanders is effecting him? he was awesome last year until he got hurt as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad