Mike Smith Is So Bad

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
he was the reason they started so well last year. flames were doing great till he got injured.

Reactions: Riddum

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Typical streaky goalie who can be pretty great when he's on his game. He likely turns it around eventually. But, he's only ever had 1 good year I think where he consistently was great, and cashed in big time off it.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Bill Peters system leads to tons of high danger scoring chances against. Hanifin also wasn't very good clearing the crease in Carolina. I'm guessing that trend has continued.

All goalies have career worst years playing for Peters.

Yeah the Flames usually “outcorsi” the other team, but they also give up all kinds of high danger chances. Lots of odd man rushes or just clear cut breakaways.

That doesn’t mean that Mike Smith hasn’t been horrible though.

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
He is at best 27th best out of the 31 starting goaltenders for each team in the league. As far as the Western Conference, the only goalie I would take Smith over might be Maarkstrom. Even then I don't think I would as at least Maarkstrom is younger and improving.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Bill Peters system leads to tons of high danger scoring chances against. Hanifin also wasn't very good clearing the crease in Carolina. I'm guessing that trend has continued.

All goalies have career worst years playing for Peters.

Rittich has a 930SV%....

He's sucked ass since his injury.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Maybe if the Flames' world class defence wouldn't allow so many HDCA then he would have better stats.

Give me a break! One or two extra high danger chances a game doesn't make an all star goalie turn into glass, he's cooked.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Mike Smith Stats and News

Holy **** those numbers are bad. His "comeback" performance amounted to an 889 shootout loss, and he's had 2 starts over 900 this season. He's probably singlehandey gonna cost the flames a playoff spot if this continues.

It was awful bringing him in as the starter in the first place. I’m not surprised at all. I don’t think anyone is. Lol.

Reactions: CrypTic

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It was awful bringing him in as the starter in the first place. I’m not surprised at all. I don’t think anyone is. Lol.

I mean he was fine until February of last season, but most flames fans were concerned about the situation this season. Seriously, watch some highlights and the cringe worthy goals he's giving up at least once a game.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
His shootout stop against Oshie was very weird. He played it like a scared pee wee goalie blocking the five hole and then stared down oshie as he got deked to his belly but oshie failed to roof it.

Then he tried the same thing with backstrom and backstrom just roofed it on him, and Smith turned his head the opposite side that he got beat on to watch the puck bounce out lmao.

I thought he was pretty good last year though.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
His shootout stop against Oshie was very weird. He played it like a scared pee wee goalie blocking the five hole and then stared down oshie as he got deked to his belly but oshie failed to roof it.

Then he tried the same thing with backstrom and backstrom just roofed it on him, and Smith turned his head the opposite side that he got beat on to watch the puck bounce out lmao.

I thought he was pretty good last great though.

Last great? Last year or last game, because I wish we had the smith of last year, while the smith of last game should hang his head in shame.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Typical streaky goalie who can be pretty great when he's on his game. He likely turns it around eventually. But, he's only ever had 1 good year I think where he consistently was great, and cashed in big time off it.
Yup.

I never saw him as anything better than an average goalie. He had one really good year in 11-12, as well as the playoffs that year, then he regressed back dead average. And before that season, he was pretty much just a good backup option and meh as anything more. He even ended up on waivers in Tampa and playing in the AHL the season before Arizona got him and he had that career year.

As I've stated in other threads, at the request a couple of other posters, I have been reviewing goals against of every game every night in order to count what goals I think are and aren't stoppable. I haven't gotten to tonight's game yet, I wait till all the games around the league are over for the night and all videos are up before I start my review, but I had him down for 3 stoppable goals out of the 6 he allowed in the game on Thursday night against the Pens. I'll have to get back to you on tonight's game later on.

I don't think he's bad because of Peters, as Cam Ward is still worthless without Peters and Mrazek hasn't been good in Carolina (he sucked before Carolina for the last two years in both Philly and Detroit too), I just think that his career is probably winding down and he was never that good anyway. He's 36 now, so he's one of the older goalies in the league. I mean, only Luongo, Anderson and Lundqvist are older than him. And Lundqvist is only 20 days older than him.

Reactions: CrypTic

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That said, I do wanna say that Smith could very well wind up finishing this season with his usual .913-.916 in the end anyway. Or maybe it's the beginning of the end. Who knows right now?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yup.

I never saw him as anything better than an average goalie. He had one really good year in 11-12, as well as the playoffs that year, then he regressed back dead average. And before that season, he was pretty much just a good backup option and meh as anything more. He even ended up on waivers in Tampa and playing in the AHL the season before Arizona got him and he had that career year.

As I've stated in other threads, at the request a couple of other posters, I have been reviewing goals against of every game every night in order to count what goals I think are and aren't stoppable. I haven't gotten to tonight's game yet, I wait till all the games around the league are over for the night and all videos are up before I start my review, but I had him down for 3 stoppable goals out of the 6 he allowed in the game on Thursday night against the Pens. I'll have to get back to you on tonight's game later on.

I don't think he's bad because of Peters, as Cam Ward is still worthless without Peters and Mrazek hasn't been good in Carolina (he sucked before Carolina for the last two years in both Philly and Detroit too), I just think that his career is probably winding down and he was never that good anyway. He's 36 now, so he's one of the older goalies in the league. I mean, only Luongo, Anderson and Lundqvist are older than him. And Lundqvist is only 20 days older than him.
I'd be interested to see a snapshot of games/goals/decisions to see if we agree on stoppable shots.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People are just now realizing Smith is bad? I could've told you that when he played for the Lightning. That brief, great stretch he had was an outlier
Uh huh. That's exactly what I've been saying. I don't know if I'd say he sucks, but he's had nothing better than an average career. Since he became a starter, he's had one REALLY GOOD season (and playoffs), and then one REALLY BAD season, then everything else is mostly .913%-.916%.
Maybe if the Flames' world class defence wouldn't allow so many HDCA then he would have better stats.
As I've said. He's never been that great, outside of one year. He's been average almost everywhere he's went and has had some really rough seasons early on and one really poor one in Arizona.

I mean, this is a 36.5 year old goalie that was never all that great to begin with. Not sure what more you can expect from him, but it's only like 7 or 8 games. He could wind up finishing with a pretty solid or average season. I would lean more towards average than anything, but this could be the beginning of the end. At 36 do you expect him to be as good as he was at 30-32? Because at 30-32, he wasn't that good anyway.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd be interested to see a snapshot of games/goals/decisions to see if we agree on stoppable shots.
One thing that I find people disagreeing with me on is they're very liberal about screens. I've had people disagree with me over nailing a goalie on a goal because there was a lone skater 25 feet in front of the goalie. I'm not very liberal on screen shots, though I am very forgiving if the goalie has a guy either right in front of him or multiple bodies and traffic.

A guy off to the side or way out in the high slot or a partial screen, I'm usually saying that the goalie shouldn't have been screened on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad