Mike Smith Is So Bad

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Should be titled "The GM is Bad"

Guy can't solve the goaltending there. Wasting away peoples prime years. Get a new GM

He's had 2 of the worst goalies of the past 15 years under him twice. Definitely on Treliving for doing nothing here when it was obvious smith was a risk

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

Guy can't solve the goaltending there. Wasting away peoples prime years. Get a new GM

There was no reason to expect such a large drop off in play. That's all on Smith.

If Smith currently had a .910 - .915 SV% (his career average) Calgary would likely have another 2 or 3 wins already and would be sitting pretty a top of the pacific.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The reported ask was the 6th OA. So thats Tkachuk. No thanks. Based on Fleury's performance and the Flames without Tkachuk, that would've been brutal for the Flames to do and we'd be in a worse position than now.
Ok yeah that's totally fair

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Rittich is relatively young too. How come Flames fans aren't really getting behind Rittich as "the man" moving forward?

Some of us very much are. I'd even go as far as to say that I have no problem with Rittich's play after Smith went down last year, if I have a problem with anything it was the fact that Jon Gillies got into a bunch of games he hadn't earned because Gulutzan decided to go into a tandem.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I agree and it seems to be an Alberta problem.

Not sure how BT could think Smith was the answer.

To be fair, the Flames have been in on a bunch of FA goalies: Fleury (Pitt. asked for too much); Andersen (Anaheim preferred to trade outside division); Bishop (ownership reportedly killed a deal - although Bishop also preferred to be in Texas); Elliott (they got him, he sucked). Things just haven't worked out. Karma for all the years of Kiprusoff maybe.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Yup.

I never saw him as anything better than an average goalie. He had one really good year in 11-12, as well as the playoffs that year, then he regressed back dead average. And before that season, he was pretty much just a good backup option and meh as anything more. He even ended up on waivers in Tampa and playing in the AHL the season before Arizona got him and he had that career year.

As I've stated in other threads, at the request a couple of other posters, I have been reviewing goals against of every game every night in order to count what goals I think are and aren't stoppable. I haven't gotten to tonight's game yet, I wait till all the games around the league are over for the night and all videos are up before I start my review, but I had him down for 3 stoppable goals out of the 6 he allowed in the game on Thursday night against the Pens. I'll have to get back to you on tonight's game later on.

I don't think he's bad because of Peters, as Cam Ward is still worthless without Peters and Mrazek hasn't been good in Carolina (he sucked before Carolina for the last two years in both Philly and Detroit too), I just think that his career is probably winding down and he was never that good anyway. He's 36 now, so he's one of the older goalies in the league. I mean, only Luongo, Anderson and Lundqvist are older than him. And Lundqvist is only 20 days older than him.

Have you been doing this with all goalies?

You should start a thread and post your observations so far.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have you been doing this with all goalies?

You should start a thread and post your observations so far.
I have! I have started a thread in the By the Numbers board of this forum.

Now, they're only updated through last Sunday, or whatever day I made the thread on? I have updated the numbers in my personal database, which I can update in the thread if you'd like!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I have to think he's gone if they miss the playoffs again this year.

What have they done since he's been there? They just kind of stay the same. Or you could say take a step forward, followed by a step back, repeat.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
He has an amazing game then he flat out sucks for 3 games in a row.

Same story in Arizona.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad