Mike Smith Is So Bad

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gonna say the same thing I did last week.... Smith was always bad. He was exactly the same in Tampa and that's why we let him go. The few good years he did have were an outlier. That tiger doesn't change it's stripes. He is what he is.... A servicable goaltender who crashes back down to earth violently and dramatically after being able to play over his head for an indefinite period of time or til he gets hurt again. We saw it over and over and over again. God help us if we ever got to a shootout. He was easily one of the worst goaltenders I have ever seen in that situation. I think it was 2008 and we lost something like 7 shootouts

Believe me, if the dude was as good as his early Coyotes years he would still be in Tampa owning every record this team ever had in one of the longer tenures you'd find anywhere for a goaltender

Edit: 10 shootout losses and I'm positive Smith was in net for at least 8

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Gonna say the same thing I did last week.... Smith was always bad. He was exactly the same in Tampa and that's why we let him go. The few good years he did have were an outlier. That tiger doesn't change it's stripes. He is what he is.... A servicable goaltender who crashes back down to earth violently and dramatically after being able to play over his head for an indefinite period of time or til he gets hurt again. We saw it over and over and over again. God help us if we ever got to a shootout. He was easily one of the worst goaltenders I have ever seen in that situation. I think it was 2008 and we lost something like 7 shootouts

Believe me, if the dude was as good as his early Coyotes years he would still be in Tampa owning every record this team ever had in one of the longer tenures you'd find anywhere for a goaltender

If you’re talking about the 2008-09 season, Smith had 7 shootout losses.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
He is at best 27th best out of the 31 starting goaltenders for each team in the league. As far as the Western Conference, the only goalie I would take Smith over might be Maarkstrom. Even then I don't think I would as at least Maarkstrom is younger and improving.
Markstrom turns 29 in January. "Younger", yes. Improving? Doubtful.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
In fairness, the Flames probably would have killed Fleury's stats as well. It's what they do.

Smith is past done at this point. He's consistently letting in soft goals, reacting slowly to the puck, unable to read plays, etc. I don't remember the last time I saw a goalie cost his team this much this often. That Silfverberg goal was god awful. The Henrique goal was bad rebound control and inability to react quick enough.

He's really bad, it boggles the mind why Peters doesn't give Rittich more starts.

Rittich wasn't great when he took over after Smith's injury last year. The Flames are in serious goaltending trouble I think. I don't see Smith turning his game around and they really don't have anyone else that's ready.

At this point I guess they might as well see what Rittich can do. It's hard to see how he could be worse than Smith.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Rittich is relatively young too. How come Flames fans aren't really getting behind Rittich as "the man" moving forward?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

Robin Lehner.

At one point in the season he hadn’t made even 1 single save in the shootout (in 8 straigt shootouts iirc). He actually had a 0 save percentage in the SO. It was truly unbelievable.
Definitely the worst goalie I have ever seen in the SO.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Rittich is relatively young too. How come Flames fans aren't really getting behind Rittich as "the man" moving forward?

Because when Smith went down last year, it was his inability to even be average in net that helped contribute to us sliding out of a playoff spot.

That being said, he's looked really good this year and a large chunk of us are behind him, but we are still very cautiously optimistic at best.

Reactions: PopaneNightscare

Arcana

Oct 21, 2018
Calgary
Calgary isn't winning any playoff series with Smith. Hell, we'd be lucky to even get in at this point.

Rittich has earned a shot at full-time duty. I hope he gets it and thrives.. but man, oh man, we need a miracle in net.

Can't trade the first round pick.. drafting in the third round two years in a row?!? Crazy.

Team is dangerous, high offense, but being taken to the woodshed because of this goaltending debacle.

Pray for Mojo.. pray for Calgary. *Sad Panda face*

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This. I'm pretty sure the rumored ask was the pick that turned into Tkachuk. Though I may be mixing up rumors on Bishop.

I believe we knew that Pittsburgh was in a goaltending situation with Murray coming off of a cup win. Knowing the expansion draft rules we knew one of their goalies was to be exposed, and I believe the 6th OA ask was for Murray. Seems like overpayment but the Pens literally won the cup from Murray’s stellar play

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I believe we knew that Pittsburgh was in a goaltending situation with Murray coming off of a cup win. Knowing the expansion draft rules we knew one of their goalies was to be exposed, and I believe the 6th OA ask was for Murray. Seems like overpayment but the Pens literally won the cup from Murray’s stellar play
Tkachuk is our best player and the pick in question. As great as Murray or even Fleury would have been, the price was just too high.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
This rendition of Smith (actually, ever since he returned from injury last season) is the worst goalie that i have ever seen play for the flames. Completely incapable of making routine saves.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tkachuk is our best player and the pick in question. As great as Murray or even Fleury would have been, the price was just too high.
Oh I know, I’m glad we didn’t trade the pick. Just saying that Pittsburgh’s ask wasn’t ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->