Mike Smith Is So Bad

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
This sounds like the start of a joke thread.

Mike Smith is so bad Bobby Orr watched him on TV and got a minus.

Mike Smith is so bad his Mama says her son plays goal for the Oilers.

Mike Smith is so bad he stood up in a moving subway and the train went between his legs.

Ok, I'll stop now.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haven't seen anything from his game tonight, but as of before this game, Smith, Jake Allen and Cam Ward are the only goalies that I have who have hit double digit stoppable goals already this year. I had Smith and Ward down for 10 before tonight. Allen down for 11. I'll have to get back to you on this one later, when all the games end and I do my review.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Haven't seen anything from his game tonight, but as of before this game, Smith, Jake Allen and Cam Ward are the only goalies that I have who have hit double digit stoppable goals already this year. I had Smith and Ward down for 10 before tonight. Allen down for 11. I'll have to get back to you on this one later, when all the games end and I do my review.

Smith is good for 2-3 tonight

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
He’s honestly causing me to lose my goalie stats week after week in fantasy hockey. I’m honestly about to drop him for Olaf Kolzig.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He’s honestly causing me to lose my goalie stats week after week in fantasy hockey. I’m honestly about to drop him for Olaf Kolzig.

As someone who watches Smith, I suggest you drop him for literally anyone else (try and pick up Rittich if available).

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Man if you make a thread this bad, scratch that, two threads this bad on the main board on the same day you should be post-muted for like, a month, minimum.

This is an embarassing ass thread. Uninstall.

Reactions: crackdown44

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I’d say this thread is legit. Mike Smith is pretty awful right now. Remember Hiller’s last atrocious season in Calgary? Even he posted better stats than Smith has had since returning from his injury last season.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flames won't make the playoffs, but are currently tied for second most points in the NHL (yes, with extra games played, but still).

Quality thread.

Rittich has looked great so far and I think Smith will eventually bounce back, so I'm not too worried yet.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
please Smith was the reason the flames were even half good last year.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Man if you make a thread this bad, scratch that, two threads this bad on the main board on the same day you should be post-muted for like, a month, minimum.

This is an embarassing ass thread. Uninstall.
So his performance tonight was good enough for you to say this thread is really bad? How many does he have to let in before this thread would qualify then? :skeptic:

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Doug McLean will defend this guy to the moon and back. That’s all I know for sure about Mike Smith.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Yet another good goalie being sacrificed by Calgary’s grossly overrated defense.
The Flames defense corps has two rookies on it. I actually think the Flames are more of an offensive team than a defensive team.

Is this a lingering meme left over from when the Flames signed Jay Bouwmeester? Makes sense that Oilers fans would want to forget the last decade.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Smith is good for 2-3 tonight
Took a look at it, along with the other games around the league.

Goals 1 and 4 on Smith were BRUTAL. Goal 2 was a weird one, but I think it bounced off of somebody in front of him and in.

He definitely should be dinged on goals 1 and 4. Luckily for him Varlamov had what's been his first poor game this season and it didn't cost the Flames the win.

Jetcetera

Jan 19, 2015
Manitoba
Me too. I also have Rinne so it's been a tough couple weeks but at least Rinne is back. I picked up Halak as well and fortunately benched Smith last night. Debating dropping Smith for good though and picking up a second backup

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Wonder if Calgary regrets not obtaining MAF a couple years ago....
In fairness, the Flames probably would have killed Fleury's stats as well. It's what they do.

Smith is past done at this point. He's consistently letting in soft goals, reacting slowly to the puck, unable to read plays, etc. I don't remember the last time I saw a goalie cost his team this much this often. That Silfverberg goal was god awful. The Henrique goal was bad rebound control and inability to react quick enough.

He's really bad, it boggles the mind why Peters doesn't give Rittich more starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad