Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Johnny is in better shape than Mike Richards.

This guy certainly looks like a world class goal scorer...

ovechkin-shirtless-soccer9.jpg

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Jesus, we're not doing the eyetest on strength and conditioning again. We kiboshed that like 1500 posts ago because it's ******** and you know it.

Unless you're willing to back this up with qualitative evidence, and unless you have a degree in exercise science, access to his medical records, or some other inside information that we'd need to vet anyway, talking about Richards' conditioning based on how you saw him in a picture is a no-go. Not gonna say it again.

Are you disregarding the quotes from Sutter, Lombardi and Blake?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are you disregarding the quotes from Sutter, Lombardi and Blake?

The quotes from the organization on his strength and conditioning are appropriately vague and have nothing to do with the casual fan's fitness eye test.

"He should be in better shape" coming from the organization is much, much more solid than "I saw a picture of Richards on the internet and he doesn't look like an athlete compared to these dudes."

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The amount of joy you seem to get out of Richards sucking and it hurting the Kings is bizarre.

I don't take joy out of the Kings sucking. I do take a little bit of joy on just how wrong so many people were, especially the ones who were downright rude on both the board and PM's. I was laughed off this board last January when I said they should look into using the buyout, and laughed off in the fall when I said if he doesn't improve he will end up out of the league. Don't think for a second that I wouldn't be getting ripped to no end if he returned to the form of his prime years.

I also find it funny that we have had posts in this thread blaming viral infections, Sutter being a Richards hater, poor linemates, Richards being "set up for failure", Richards is in the minors to send a message to the team, Richards is in the minors to save money (no sense) yet you continue to single me out in this thread. It's quite funny with all the ludicrous stuff posted.

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
I don't work in the S&C/fitness field anymore but I'd love to know who is working with Richards and how they're setting up his workouts and trying to improve his S&C. That'd be an interesting challenge during the season that I never had the pleasure to be able to attempt at such a high level but I think it could be done, albeit slowly. The way the AHL season is based around the weekends, it doesn't give a ton of time to improve S&C but it gives more than the NHL's regular season. They could do some work on strength/power improvement with him during the week and little by little improve him in that area. I figure between February and the end of April he could improve about the same amount one would over a good month in the off-season. That's not a huge amount but when you pair that with increased playing time and, if S&C was really a weakness as Richards, Lombardi and Blake said, then it gives me hope he can make some kind of a comeback. If nothing else, if he keeps working hard with a good strength coach, which he may not have used in Kenora, then by next season he's not going to be the player he used to be but he could still see solid improvement - probably enough to displace Stoll at least. I'm hopeful.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
For the record... I don't think Sutter hates Richards... I just think Sutter is clueless when it comes to putting lines together that can generate offense.

"hey Gaborik/Kopitar aren't scoring... I'll put Brown there... wait now Williams... no back with Brown.... **** it play King on the right wing on the 3rd line a couple games then bump him with Gaborik/Kopitar.... not working... maybe Brown again.... Lewis..... None of these grinders are getting those 2 going." :laugh:

Williams isn't a grinder, but is too slow/small for the first line at this point.

Carter was on that line for a couple games.... they were killing it for a little while... could try throwing a guy with some skills up there.... nope...

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
If Carter is with Kopitar then Stoll is the second line centre. If Toffoli is with Kopitar then our second line is a third line. Very hard to make these things work. Forecheck is one of the reasons for our bad production this season. Pretty sure Sutter (and all coaches) tells his forwards to do this. It's all on the players when they aren't on the bench. Richards did not generate offense and Sutter did put him with Carter for a bit this season actually. I firmly believe Sutter likes Richards, who was even given the A at one point, never a healthy scratch. Things don't always work out. Sucks, but we have to move on without Richards. Stop blaming Sutter.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Sutter's pretty damn smart.

It isn't about being smart... more blinded by his own horse ****... lots of people become experts then stop learning because they know everything. Personally I think the problem is Sutter's idea on how to generate offense. Remember the Kings 3% shooting.. yeah :laugh:

The frustrating part is when in panic mode Sutter gets out of his own way and comes up with stuff like Pearson/Carter/Toffoli... the only reason that line combo took until being down in the playoffs to try was because of Sutter, and his unwillingness to go outside of his comfort zone. Sometimes trying things have unexpected results... that's why you run experiments... it isn't is this right is this wrong.... just try it.

Now Pearson is injured... but why hasn't Pearson/Toffoli gotten a crack with Gaborik/Kopitar? Did this happen for 2 shifts on a line blender night and I missed it? I mean when King/Lewis are playing in that spot what's stopping it? Might work... Might not... don't know what will happen until it's tried....

Pearson coming back from injury could help... but when he went out the line was Pearson/Lewis/Toffoli... so if Pearson ends up with Pearson/Stoll/Williams I'm worried that Pearson coming back may not even help the team.

Yes, Sutter goes to the line blender quite a bit... but it is always the same adjustments.... Brown for Williams... get tired of that try King/Lewis... or finish out the lines with what you have after demoting half the team to the 4th line. :laugh:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Gabo/Kopitar/Toffoli.

None of those guys forecheck well. They would be one and done in offensive zone.

Especially with the way Kopitar is playing.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I don't take joy out of the Kings sucking. I do take a little bit of joy on just how wrong so many people were, especially the ones who were downright rude on both the board and PM's. I was laughed off this board last January when I said they should look into using the buyout, and laughed off in the fall when I said if he doesn't improve he will end up out of the league. Don't think for a second that I wouldn't be getting ripped to no end if he returned to the form of his prime years.

I also find it funny that we have had posts in this thread blaming viral infections, Sutter being a Richards hater, poor linemates, Richards being "set up for failure", Richards is in the minors to send a message to the team, Richards is in the minors to save money (no sense) yet you continue to single me out in this thread. It's quite funny with all the ludicrous stuff posted.

Herby, you are an astonishingly poor winner. I had given you credit for the opposite back when Johnny Utah was rightlessly gloating every other post, but you've since joined him and then some in that regard.

And what you never really understood about a lot of the posts directed against you was it wasn't pro-Richards fanboys grasping at straws. Much of it was people compelled to present a counter scenario to a posting style that can grate on the nerves and sensibilities of others.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Everyone's body is different. You can't really judge a player's hockey condition based on their appearance. I'm a skinny dude with lower body fat. There's guys in my hockey league that are overweight with guts hanging out, and some of them have better endurance than me. I've seen guys that look out of shape skate circle around guys that look lean.

I still think a lot of Richards decline is mental.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Everyone's body is different. You can't really judge a player's hockey condition based on their appearance. I'm a skinny dude with lower body fat. There's guys in my hockey league that are overweight with guts hanging out, and some of them have better endurance than me. I've seen guys that look out of shape skate circle around guys that look lean.

I still think a lot of Richards decline is mental.

Agreed, the term hockey shape comes to mind. Richards could have a six pack with pencil thin legs and you'd have a guy who is easily pushed off the puck or stumbling around the ice. Or you could have a big, bulky guy who gasses out after about 15 seconds on the ice. Going just by looks is silly but we are in the midst of the steroid era in athletics. People go to gyms and look at the biggest guy and think he's the best athlete in the gym yet his muscles are synthetically enhanced and purely cosmetic. IMO, Richards is a combination of all the things most discussed in these threads, injury, hard lifestyle in his younger days, not the best diet, not the hardest workouts in the offseason and content with his accomplishments. Whatever it was no one can argue Mike Richards worked hard to earn his demotion to the minors and a huge dose of humble pie. I was a huge Mike Richards fan, still hope he can earn his way back but he's where he belongs right now.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Since the mods will hate me for more Mike Richards threads:

Ahead Of Deadline, Richards Talks Trade Possibility

I'm always really glad when you check in with Richards and this was no exception. Maybe I'm being sentimental, but I hope he's still a King tonight. He obviously wants to stay in L.A. I hope he make the adjustments to his game that the team needs.

He seems to enjoy playing with the Manchester Top 6 wingers, particularly O'Neill. I'm looking forward to seeing O'Neill play in person next season.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Richards decline is not mental, his Hockey IQ is just fine. His playing style is the problem.

He seems to be working that in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad