Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
He'll be back with us again, just needs to find his game back in the AHL for a bit.

Family stays together!

2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+Game+Six+s34fQuWrvmAl.jpg

Chain

Feb 2, 2014
Lombardi would have bought him out during the summer if he wasn't in shape.

I thought so too. But when the news of being put on waivers came out, John Hoven said on Sportsnet Radio:

"They decided that they were going to give it one last go and that Richards was going to come into camp in great shape. And by all means it just hasn't worked out, like you said. He hasn't been in the best shape from most reports. You look at a guy like Dustin Brown...Dustin Brown comes in chiseled, he's ready to go. And Mike Richards hasn't really been productive."

So I'm wondering, and this is just me totally speculating, if Richards wasn't really in the best shape after all. Maybe he was working out some in the off-season, but was he just putting in some work, or training like an animal to come into camp in his best shape? And how qualified is DL to evaluate what kind of shape someone is in anyway? He's a great GM and a lawyer, but he's not a strength coach or hockey coach. Maybe when Dean went to visit Richards, he was working out and in relatively good shape compared to where he is in the off-season and to Dean that seemed like enough, but he wasn't quite in peak form relative to where he could've been? I'm just wondering that because of what Hoven saying about Richards not coming into camp in the best shape and what Dean was saying about it being up to Richards to find his game again. I could easily be wrong.

It's just one of the potential possibilities that's crossing my mind right now. And honestly, the one I hope is true because it's a hell of a lot easier for Richards to go "Screw this. I'm going to work out like a madman now" and make some adjustments to get back on the roster than it is for him to make significant improvements if past concussions are really what's caused his decline.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Part 3. Wonderful.

Well not to be rude, but all you guys who said these threads were pointless, that he was going nowhere, that DL would never waive him etc. etc. proved to be wrong. This was a valid discussion from the start.

This is almost unheard of in the world of hockey to go from being an elite player winning a gold medal in 2010 for Team Canada at age 25 to being out of the league at age 29, ofcourse it is going to be discussed quite a bit, even if there wasn't the $29 million owed over the next five years to talk about it's still fascinating, the contract just makes the story even more crazy.

We will probably never see another situation like this as long as all of us are Kings fans.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Well not to be rude, but all you guys who said these threads were pointless, that he was going nowhere, that DL would never waive him etc. etc. proved to be wrong. This was a valid discussion from the start.

This is almost unheard of in the world of hockey to go from being an elite player winning a gold medal in 2010 for Team Canada at age 25 to being out of the league at age 29, ofcourse it is going to be discussed quite a bit, even if there wasn't the $29 million owed over the next five years to talk about it's still fascinating, the contract just makes the story even more crazy.

We will probably never see another situation like this as long as all of us are Kings fans.

The most frustrating thing is I wish it never got to this point.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
I thought so too. But when the news of being put on waivers came out, John Hoven said on Sportsnet Radio:

"They decided that they were going to give it one last go and that Richards was going to come into camp in great shape. And by all means it just hasn't worked out, like you said. He hasn't been in the best shape from most reports. You look at a guy like Dustin Brown...Dustin Brown comes in chiseled, he's ready to go. And Mike Richards hasn't really been productive."

So I'm wondering, and this is just me totally speculating, if Richards wasn't really in the best shape after all. Maybe he was working out some in the off-season, but was he just putting in some work, or training like an animal to come into camp in his best shape? And how qualified is DL to evaluate what kind of shape someone is in anyway? He's a great GM and a lawyer, but he's not a strength coach or hockey coach. Maybe when Dean went to visit Richards, he was working out and in relatively good shape compared to where he is in the off-season and to Dean that seemed like enough, but he wasn't quite in peak form relative to where he could've been? I'm just wondering that because of what Hoven saying about Richards not coming into camp in the best shape and what Dean was saying about it being up to Richards to find his game again. I could easily be wrong.

It's just one of the potential possibilities that's crossing my mind right now. And honestly, the one I hope is true because it's a hell of a lot easier for Richards to go "Screw this. I'm going to work out like a madman now" and make some adjustments to get back on the roster than it is for him to make significant improvements if past concussions are really what's caused his decline.

DL was probably looking at MR with his heart and not his eyes. Don't the Kings have a fitness test before and during camp?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
DL was probably looking at MR with his heart and not his eyes. Don't the Kings have a fitness test before and during camp?

I forget when the buyout deadline occurred, but it was well before training camp started.

Of course it deserved to be discussed. I am quite possibly the biggest supporter Lombardi has on these boards, but I was not in favor of him taking this risk with Richards when he could have gotten out from under that contract without any long term effect on the team's cap structure. Now we have to hope Richards' problems are something that he can correct in the AHL. After the Gomez situation a few years ago, I can't see any GM being dumb enough to trade for Richards at this point in time.

Maybe Richards can turn it around, but the chances are slim IMO. A buyout now is a disaster, keeping him on the NHL roster at his current level of play is a disaster, eating all of his cap hit less $1M while he plays in Manchester is a disaster.

I will say this though from reading Dean's comments on this situation, he won't be fooled again. I expect some serious hardball to be played with Kopitar's agent this summer. If Williams thinks he is getting $25 over 5 years, he may as well pack his bags right now, because he will either be traded at the deadline or Dean will let him walk in the off season. I don't want to see the Kings lose so many key components from the last 3 years, but it may be time to take a few lumps, get younger, and get better over the long term.

Last edited:

razzy

May 1, 2006
BC interior

Quite a sad event really but you called it Herby. Im back to believing in Dean cause this had to hurt him big time.

Ron*

I find this ****ing hilarious.

I guess you weren't around for much of the pre-2010 years. :laugh:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
So when is Richards' first game in Manchester?

I honestly think this is the start of some big changes, and like Kings17 said, I expect hardball from Lombardi from now on. This has jaded him and unfortunately I expect Williams to be gone and Kopitar's agent has his work cut out for him.

Ron*

So when is Richards' first game in Manchester?

I honestly think this is the start of some big changes, and like Kings17 said, I expect hardball from Lombardi from now on. This has jaded him and unfortunately I expect Williams to be gone and Kopitar's agent has his work cut out for him.

:laugh:

Yeah, sure.

Kopi's agent: "Kopi, do you want a MBZ with that $11 mil/per? I can get that for you, no sweat."

Let's not overreact here.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Link?

T2M

Jan 28, 2004

For the record, I was one of the fans who didn't think he'd be going anywhere, so I'll just write it out:

I was wrong.

There, now I can move forward and agree with Herby that it's a fascinating story and situation to analyze. It's either a tragedy or it could be a heroic story waiting to happen. I think that's what's really fascinating about this is that it is up to Richards to get himself back and who knows what that entails. Maybe he just needs some serious rest for his head. That concussion really seems to have sent him downwards, let's see if he can get some time to get his head back on straight and come back as a winner. Wouldn't be the first ultra-talented, ultra-competitive player to reinvent himself at 30.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Maybe this is the wakeup call he needs. To see what he was like in the 2012 season, playoffs, and first 1/4 of the 2013 season to what he is now is mindboggling. Hope it's not the concussions taking it's toll and it's just his confidence for his play.

As much as I like to see it and hope it happens, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
:laugh:

Yeah, sure.

Kopi's agent: "Kopi, do you want a MBZ with that $11 mil/per? I can get that for you, no sweat."

Let's not overreact here.

Maybe Kopitar's agent can get that for him in Toronto. Seriously, Dean isn't giving Kopitar a max contract for 8 years after the Richards fiasco. This is the whole point behind having a salary cap league. GMs that get their stars signed to reasonable deals will excel. Those that don't, won't.

If I'm Dean, I limit the term to 5 years on a Kopitar deal. Kopitar will be an excellent defensive centerman for years to come, but I am thinking that in six years his offense will definitely be on the decline and the Kings don't need to be paying him big money at that time.

I would do something like $10M, $10M, $8.5M, $8M, $7M. That's $43.5M over 5 seasons, and it's very fair to both sides.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site

Hovan lost me when he said Brown comes into camp chiseled. I'm not sure he has a good idea as to what he's printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad