Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Give Stoll a break, he has been battling migraines, he has been stuck with Lewis for most of the year and nude video of his girlfriend all over the net, hard to stay focused on hockey. Not to mention I really think Davis Payne hates him. It is everyone and everything but Stoll's fault for his lousy play.

Am I doing it right?

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Give Stoll a break, he has been battling migraines, he has been stuck with Lewis for most of the year and nude video of his girlfriend all over the net, hard to stay focused on hockey. Not to mention I really think Davis Payne hates him. It is everyone and everything but Stoll's fault for his lousy play.

Am I doing it right?

Assuming you're being facetious (and one never knows anymore), that's still better than being with Clifford and Nolan most of the year and having Darryl Sutter hate you. Not sure about the headaches but I'll be sure to look up the nude videos.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I know... just 3 goals in the last 3 games.... one being a double deflection that Williams ended up with and one each from Lewis/McNabb... Where the **** did the offense go?

Well, in the 12 games where the 70's line has been really good, the 4 players that have made up that line have 26 goals. That leaves 137 goals for the rest of the season, which is 2.24 goals per game, which would put the Kings 25th overall.

When the 70's line hasn't been stupidly good this season, the team can't really score. Take out the goals from those 12 games from the 70's, and you get:

Gaborik - 17 goals
Williams - 16 goals
Kopitar - 12 goals
Carter - 10 goals
Toffoli - 10 goals
Brown - 10 goals

12-0-0 when the 70's have carried the offense by collectively scoring 2 goals per game. 17-20-12 when they don't.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would you guys take Emelin for Richards w/ some salary retained?

Nope, that's not helping us at all with money and Emelin is another redundant defenseman on this roster. It's pretty much the same as the Richards with salary retained +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ for Phaneuf trades that keep getting bandied about.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Am I doing it right?

There ya go... solid argument! :)

Would you guys take Emelin for Richards w/ some salary retained?

Kings could probably take a shot at a RW at this point... it would allow Brown to slide over to the left and play with Stoll/Williams.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

Am I doing it right?

He's not playing enough also. Double his minutes and watch his production double. What would that be, like 6 goals so far?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I'd be curious to know what his physical/checking/defensive game is like with the Monarchs. Just like his potential issues were probably ignored/buried when the whole roster was performing here (vs. how magnified they are when we're struggling), I'd imagine that's sort of the case in manchester, too.

The Monarchs play the exact same system as the Kings do.

Richards is not physical, that part of his game is gone. Probably never coming back.

Richards needs to learn how to be more positional sound, and use his hockey IQ to be better on Defense. He is no longer going to strip people from the puck with his body.

Like I said before, Richards needs to change his game. He still has very good offensive hockey IQ, that is plain as day to see in the AHL.
Richards is the most dangerous player on the ice with the puck nightly.

One thing I have noticed watching Richards in the AHL is; You have to pair Richards with a Finisher. Someone that has HANDS/Skill. The problem with the Kings bottom six is, it's flooded with Trevor Lewis's. Guys that don't hurt you Defensively, but generate nothing on offense, and can't bury good passes.

Richards is paired with Some really talented wingers in Manchester, they are loving Richards passing skill.

Also another note:

Not sure what Rob Blake meant when he mentioned conditioning was still a problem with Richards. Richards looks to be in shape.

He is not laboring anywhere on the ice, he is playing about 19-21 minutes a night, PK's,PP's. The only problem I see is Richards has to change his game defensively. Richards can no longer play that Physical brand of hockey he use too, his body won't do it. He doesn't in the AHL, and his play is much better because he doesn't.

Mike Stothers is a fantastic coach, what a hire by Blake/Lombardi.

Last edited:

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut

Richards is not physical, that part of his game is gone. Probably never coming back.

Richards needs to learn how to be more positional sound, and use his hockey IQ to be better on Defense. He is no longer going to strip people from the puck with his body.

Like I said before, Richards needs to change his game. He still has very good offensive hockey IQ, that is plain as day to see in the AHL.

One thing I have noticed watching Richards in the AHL is; You have to pair Richards with a Finisher. Someone that has HANDS/Skill. The problem with the Kings bottom six is, it's flooded with Trevor Lewis's. Guys that don't hurt you Defensively, but generate nothing on offense, and can't bury good passes.

Richards is paired with Some really talented wingers in Manchester, they are loving Richards passing skill.

Also another note:

Not sure what Rob Blake meant when he mentioned conditioning was still a problem with Richards. Richards looks to be in shape.

He is not laboring anywhere on the ice, he is playing about 19-21 minutes a night, PK's,PP's. The only problem I see is Richards has to change his game defensively. Richards can no longer play that Physical brand of hockey he use too, his body won't do it. He doesn't in the AHL, and his play is much better because he doesn't.

Great post. I agree with all of it.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

Also another note:

Terrific post. Great to get an update on where he's at.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Also another note:

He did steal a ton of puck in the Rangers series by picking passes out of the air. It was to the point that one of the announcers even mentioned it. He is still capable of creating turnovers.

Been saying he needs to be paired with a finisher for a while. So you take a guy that's one of the better play makers on the team and struggling in other areas, then you put him with guys that can't shoot so Richards biggest strength is being wasted. Brilliant! Also I'm not arguing that the Kings bot 6 currently lacks shooters.... Pearson and Toffoli have both spent time in the bottom 6 this year.... but Sutter.

19-20 mins a game takes a lot more "conditioning" then 10 mins a game. :laugh:

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
If Richards comes back and Pearson is healthy before the playoffs, I'd like to see these lines.

Gaborik-Kopitar-Williams
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
King-Richards-Brown
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Richards comes back, he has to be surrounded by speedy wingers that can make up for his own lack of skating ability. This is why he was most effective centering Carter.

I criticized Richards from the beginning, and never liked the trade. I also believe his impact on the Kings cup runs has been overstated, but I still think he's capable of contributing to this team in a smaller role.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
If Richards comes back, he has to be surrounded by speedy wingers that can make up for his own lack of skating ability. This is why he was most effective centering Carter.

I criticized Richards from the beginning, and never liked the trade. I also believe his impact on the Kings cup runs has been overstated, but I still think he's capable of contributing to this team in a smaller role.

If you think Richards didn't have at least a very significant role in the 2012 cup run, I have no idea what games you were watching then. He was a top 5 player for us that post-season.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
If you think Richards didn't have at least a very significant role in the 2012 cup run, I have no idea what games you were watching then. He was a top 5 player for us that post-season.

Exactly. And he was one of the best players in 2013 when we lost to Chicago.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

15 points in 20 playoff games in 2012, 4th on the team. That's a pretty sizable contribution

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

Like I said, I think his contributions have been exaggerated, especially during the 2012 run. He played fine. I watched every moment of every game.

The biggest difference between the 2011 team and the 2012 team that eventually won the Cup is primarily Darryl Sutter. He's was the main difference maker. Secondarily it's Carter. Richards, while he did carry his weight, was along for the ride.

Even though the the Schenn/Simmonds/2nd for Richards swap was a poor one for the Kings in terms of asset value, I'm not sure that I'd take it back because things did eventually pan out for us.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
The biggest difference between the 2011 team and the 2012 team that eventually won the Cup is primarily Darryl Sutter. He's was the main difference maker. Secondarily it's Carter. Richards, while he did carry his weight, was along for the ride.

Even though the the Schenn/Simmonds/2nd for Richards swap was a poor one for the Kings in terms of asset value, I'm not sure that I'd take it back because things did eventually pan out for us.

Holy smokes Batman! Richards had more points than Carter in the 20 games and, beyond that and more importantly, who can forget his contributions, particularly in the first series against Vancouver, where he essentially showed a bunch of players who, up to then, hadn't won anything, what it takes to win. Along for the ride? How we forget. And 2 cups in 3 years would do the trade every time. What have Schenn and Simmonds and the Flyers done in that time?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Like I said, I think his contributions have been exaggerated, especially during the 2012 run. He played fine. I watched every moment of every game.

You're on an island by yourself there. You don't put up the 4th most points on a Stanley Cup champion and be "along for the ride".

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Holy smokes Batman! Richards had more points than Carter in the 20 games and, beyond that and more importantly, who can forget his contributions, particularly in the first series against Vancouver, where he essentially showed a bunch of players who, up to then, hadn't won anything, what it takes to win. Along for the ride? How we forget. And 2 cups in 3 years would do the trade every time. What have Schenn and Simmonds and the Flyers done in that time?

Intanjubulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad