Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Like I said, I think his contributions have been exaggerated, especially during the 2012 run. He played fine. I watched every moment of every game.

The biggest difference between the 2011 team and the 2012 team that eventually won the Cup is primarily Darryl Sutter. He's was the main difference maker. Secondarily it's Carter. Richards, while he did carry his weight, was along for the ride.

Even though the the Schenn/Simmonds/2nd for Richards swap was a poor one for the Kings in terms of asset value, I'm not sure that I'd take it back because things did eventually pan out for us.

Richards centered a second line including another guy that's out of the NHL in Penner and ended up tied for 4th in scoring on the Kings (with Williams, who was part of the 1st line) in the 2012 playoffs behind only Brown Kopitar and Doughty. He was also arguably our best forward in 2013 playoffs and finished only one point behind Carter and Voynov for team lead again. He did a lot more than 'carry his weight' and come 'along for the ride.' You did this with Kopitar too, revisionist history based on what's going on with him now. Richards was a VERY effective player in both the 2012 AND 2013 playoffs both statistically and with the eye test, if anything his performances have been under-emphasized. He wasn't in the running for Conn Smythe, but he was just behind that group.

I can agree that Sutter is the bigger difference maker, but that's sort of a red herring when you're throwing out a misinformed opinion of Richards.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Monarchs play the exact same system as the Kings do.

Richards is not physical, that part of his game is gone. Probably never coming back.

Richards needs to learn how to be more positional sound, and use his hockey IQ to be better on Defense. He is no longer going to strip people from the puck with his body.

Like I said before, Richards needs to change his game. He still has very good offensive hockey IQ, that is plain as day to see in the AHL.
Richards is the most dangerous player on the ice with the puck nightly.

One thing I have noticed watching Richards in the AHL is; You have to pair Richards with a Finisher. Someone that has HANDS/Skill. The problem with the Kings bottom six is, it's flooded with Trevor Lewis's. Guys that don't hurt you Defensively, but generate nothing on offense, and can't bury good passes.

Richards is paired with Some really talented wingers in Manchester, they are loving Richards passing skill.

Also another note:

Not sure what Rob Blake meant when he mentioned conditioning was still a problem with Richards. Richards looks to be in shape.

He is not laboring anywhere on the ice, he is playing about 19-21 minutes a night, PK's,PP's. The only problem I see is Richards has to change his game defensively. Richards can no longer play that Physical brand of hockey he use too, his body won't do it. He doesn't in the AHL, and his play is much better because he doesn't.

Mike Stothers is a fantastic coach, what a hire by Blake/Lombardi.

I love this post.

I fully agree, but I would add it seems like he's actually got very good positioning in both the offensive and neutral zones as (I think Trolfoli) pointed out; it's more his reads in the defensive zone and 'checking mood' that's the issue, but that seems like something a pretty cerebral player can figure out, I hope. I wonder how much of it has to do with kopitar and carter being big bulls and being able to stride into the corner, check effectively, and come out with the puck skating full bore. As physical as Richards was before, I don't think he was ever that player, though I could be mistaken. Not saying that's an excuse; that's actually something that took away from his game heavily.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Like I said, I think his contributions have been exaggerated, especially during the 2012 run. He played fine. I watched every moment of every game.

The biggest difference between the 2011 team and the 2012 team that eventually won the Cup is primarily Darryl Sutter. He's was the main difference maker. Secondarily it's Carter. Richards, while he did carry his weight, was along for the ride.

Even though the the Schenn/Simmonds/2nd for Richards swap was a poor one for the Kings in terms of asset value, I'm not sure that I'd take it back because things did eventually pan out for us.

He outscores Carter but is along for the ride. Rightttttt..... Besides points I love how things such as this are being ignored. I don't recall Carter ever doing this

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
It sucks Richards' play has taken a turn for the wore, but who in their right mind back then would have guessed that his play would completely deteriorate?

At the end of the day, we have 2 cups in 3 years. How do you like dem apples?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

This post is completely laughable.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Holy smokes Batman! Richards had more points than Carter in the 20 games and, beyond that and more importantly, who can forget his contributions, particularly in the first series against Vancouver, where he essentially showed a bunch of players who, up to then, hadn't won anything, what it takes to win. Along for the ride? How we forget. And 2 cups in 3 years would do the trade every time. What have Schenn and Simmonds and the Flyers done in that time?

I remember that game vividly. It was great.

Doesn't change my opinion of him.

Saying that Richards showed these guys how to win, is like saying Smyth showed Kopitar how to drive to the net and be a pro's pro ect.

As for the trade I didn't say I would for sure take it back. No way to know if we win the cup with out it. But remember, Schenn was widely regarded as one of the best prospects in the world at the time. For the package of Schenn + Simmonds + 2nd, I think we could have gotten a better player. A player that wasn't on the decline.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
This post is completely laughable.

Jesus_Quintana_laughable_zps0082c843.jpg

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I remember that game vividly. It was great.

Doesn't change my opinion of him.

Saying that Richards showed these guys how to win, is like saying Smyth showed Kopitar how to drive to the net and be a pro's pro ect.

As for the trade I didn't say I would for sure take it back. No way to know if we win the cup with out it. But remember, Schenn was widely regarded as one of the best prospects in the world at the time. For the package of Schenn + Simmonds + 2nd, I think we could have gotten a better player. A player that wasn't on the decline.

So if we reverse the trade we might not win the cup but he was just along for the ride?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Richards centered a second line including another guy that's out of the NHL in Penner and ended up tied for 4th in scoring on the Kings (with Williams, who was part of the 1st line) in the 2012 playoffs behind only Brown Kopitar and Doughty.
You're not telling me anything I don't know.

You did this with Kopitar too, revisionist history based on what's going on with him now.
What are you talking about? I showed you the advanced stats that backed up what I was saying. And again, this argument is qualitative.

EDIT: And I have been critical of his game for years. So saying my comments are based on "what's going on with him now" is unfair.

Richards was a VERY effective player in both the 2012 AND 2013 playoffs both statistically and with the eye test, if anything his performances have been under-emphasized.
Never said he wasn't effective, I just think what he did for this team has been exaggerated.

Last edited:

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Richards isn't exactly tearing it up in the ahl either

13gp 3g 10a 13pts

pro rated he'd currently be ranked 4th in points behind...

Teemu Pulkkinen
Brian O'Neill
Andy Miele

you'd think a guy of his calibre would be around 20pts by now

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
So if we reverse the trade we might not win the cup but he was just along for the ride?

These things are not mutually exclusive.

You change one event in the past, and you never how other things would've have played out.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Richards isn't exactly tearing it up in the ahl either

13gp 3g 10a 13pts

pro rated he'd currently be ranked 4th in points behind...

Teemu Pulkkinen
Brian O'Neill
Andy Miele

you'd think a guy of his calibre would be around 20pts by now

I think some people belittle the AHL to much. Its a small players league. Speed is a much greater asset. Why do you think guys like Miele and Pulkinnen and O'Niell haven't cut it in the NHL yet?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I do not think the Kings win the SC in 2012 without Richards, they may not even make the playoffs. He has obviously fallen off the cliff but in 2012 he was a damn good player for this team.

I think in 2014 his role was so small and he struggled quite a bit in the playoffs last year that it's a bit ridiculous to say they wouldn't have won in 2014, I think you could make a better case in saying the Chicago series would have been over quicker had they had a more defensively competent player in his place.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Without Richards I think the Kings would have lost to Vancouver on the 1st round.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
It sucks Richards' play has taken a turn for the wore, but who in their right mind back then would have guessed that his play would completely deteriorate?

At the end of the day, we have 2 cups in 3 years. How do you like dem apples?

A lot of us called this. Fans knew that deal would help the Kings short term and long term it would probably bite us in the butt. Just didn't thin sooner than later.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
A lot of us called this. Fans knew that deal would help the Kings short term and long term it would probably bite us in the butt. Just didn't thin sooner than later.

Even the biggest naysayer out there didn't peg Richards in the minors at 30.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Even the biggest naysayer out there didn't peg Richards in the minors at 30.

Not at the time of the trade, even Johnny and tomd who were against the deal from the start wouldn't have thought the collapse would happen so quickly. But based on last year it didn't surprise me that he ended up in Manchester this season. He got the benefit of the doubt and a second chance because of his name, but once it became apparent that he was the 6th best center in the organization they had no choice but to send him down.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Conditioning conditioning conditioning.

Go meet Richards' in person and come back and tell me what he looks like. I met Nolan a few weeks back, he's pretty solid, looks like an athlete. My friends see Jeff Carter on the beach without his shirt on, he is cut. Richards' on the other hand is not in shape.

Both Blake and Lombardi have mentioned conditioning.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North

Go meet Richards' in person and come back and tell me what he looks like. I met Nolan a few weeks back, he's pretty solid, looks like an athlete. My friends see Jeff Carter on the beach without his shirt on, he is cut. Richards' on the other hand is not in shape.

He couldn't be must worse than some of those clowns playing in Winnipeg right now.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

And you've seen Richards?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Jesus, we're not doing the eyetest on strength and conditioning again. We kiboshed that like 1500 posts ago because it's ******** and you know it.

Unless you're willing to back this up with qualitative evidence, and unless you have a degree in exercise science, access to his medical records, or some other inside information that we'd need to vet anyway, talking about Richards' conditioning based on how you saw him in a picture is a no-go. Not gonna say it again.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
This is stupid. I have shared this before but when I was younger I lived for a couple of years in Pittsburgh and my family were members of the same Country Club as Mario Lemieux, I saw Mario Lemieux naked (BRAG!!!) and he wasn't exactly Mr. Universe himself.

Mike Richards sucks and his career completely collapsed shortly after the Kings won their first cup, no one knows why, blaming it on conditioning is no different than blaming it on 12 month viral infection, Sutter, Jordan Nolan or whatever else ridiculous excuse the fans since June 2011 can come up with. At this point everyone has a theory but no one knows why. I just can't wait for the nightmare to end, hopefully sooner than later,

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is stupid. I have shared this before but when I was younger I lived for a couple of years in Pittsburgh and my family were members of the same Country Club as Mario Lemieux, I saw Mario Lemieux naked (BRAG!!!) and he wasn't exactly Mr. Universe himself.

Mike Richards sucks and his career completely collapsed shortly after the Kings won their first cup, no one knows why, blaming it on conditioning is no different than blaming it on 12 month viral infection, Sutter, Jordan Nolan or whatever else ridiculous excuse the fans since June 2011 can come up with. At this point everyone has a theory but no one knows why. I just can't wait for the nightmare to end, hopefully sooner than later,

Now this thread is going places :laugh:

I agree and that's really my point, many NHLers LOOK like nothing to write home about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad