Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Richards decline is not mental, his Hockey IQ is just fine. His playing style is the problem.

He seems to be working that in the AHL.

There's more to the mental side of game than "Hockey IQ." Motivation, desire and hunger are also mental. Much of your energy can also come from your mental state.

You always speak with such definiteness.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
They were talking on either Sportsnet or TSN radio the other day about the decline of players sooner in the new NHL...someone had written a piece on Crosby and said he may be in decline.

Richards' has fallen hard. Penner is out of the NHL. That was our Cup winning 2nd line two years and 8 months ago. Wow.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Richards' decline in play is still somewhat of a mystery, thus the hope that it reverses course. Unfortunately, Penner is out because he just didn't seem to give hockey his all instead of it being a physical decline. I hope he finds a second career in music.

But yeah, it makes me admire players like Jaromir Jagr even more for managing to stay in hockey so long.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Gabo/Kopitar/Toffoli.

None of those guys forecheck well. They would be one and done in offensive zone.

Especially with the way Kopitar is playing.

Pearson/Carter/Toffoli works pretty well... not really a heavy forechecker there... of course the orriginal 70's line goes down gets a shot... keeps their speed then goes to recover the puck. A lot of their points come off of running the puck down recovering it in the neutral zone and counter attacking. It would be a slightly different style of play then grinding in the corner.... Also we have see which is more effective this season.

As far as Richards goes... this whole situation is a joke... He's showing he can play as well or better then a lot of guys currently in the line up. Also a lot of my arguments have been about getting the most out of the line up. Richards in the AHL doesn't do that... and here with 20 games to go Kings are in a 3 way tie for last playoff spot. I mean if the Kings were looking like they were for sure making the playoffs and Richards was holding them back it would make sense... as it is now, the Kings will be lucky to make the playoffs... so the down side to playing Richards isn't a whole hell of a lot... while sticking him on the 4th line then dumping him to Manchester looks like it could very well result in no money to bring Williams back because Lombardi is retaining salary... or the better outcome... if Richards is unable to be traded it may cost the Kings Muzzin or Martinez... Or a buyout that goes for a decade!!!! This is clearly a much better outcome then just giving Richards ice time for a team that is going to have to get lucky to make the playoffs.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
I still think a lot of Richards decline is mental.

I do as well. you could see it in his game, he'd received a tape to tape pass and cough it up after getting a minimal amount of pressure. looked like he was anxious and second guessing everything out there. its really a shame, I sincerely hope he finds his game again and returns to the Kings. hes better than Stoll.....

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pearson/Carter/Toffoli works pretty well... not really a heavy forechecker there... of course the orriginal 70's line goes down gets a shot... keeps their speed then goes to recover the puck. A lot of their points come off of running the puck down recovering it in the neutral zone and counter attacking. It would be a slightly different style of play then grinding in the corner.... Also we have see which is more effective this season.

As far as Richards goes... this whole situation is a joke... He's showing he can play as well or better then a lot of guys currently in the line up. Also a lot of my arguments have been about getting the most out of the line up. Richards in the AHL doesn't do that... and here with 20 games to go Kings are in a 3 way tie for last playoff spot. I mean if the Kings were looking like they were for sure making the playoffs and Richards was holding them back it would make sense... as it is now, the Kings will be lucky to make the playoffs... so the down side to playing Richards isn't a whole hell of a lot... while sticking him on the 4th line then dumping him to Manchester looks like it could very well result in no money to bring Williams back because Lombardi is retaining salary... or the better outcome... if Richards is unable to be traded it may cost the Kings Muzzin or Martinez... Or a buyout that goes for a decade!!!! This is clearly a much better outcome then just giving Richards ice time for a team that is going to have to get lucky to make the playoffs.

Pearson is a very good forechecker.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Mike Richards is in Manchester because Sutter no longer trusted him in his own zone. He lost his check far too often and was giving up a Grade A chance almost every game. I watch the 4 centers ahead of him in the organization at this time in LA, and I don't see that happening as often with them in the lineup.

The reported rumors that Dean was looking to make a deal for another center before the deadline is also telling. Richards is done in LA this season, and with any luck he will be traded over the summer and the Kings won't have to eat his entire contract. If he isn't traded Richards' contract will likely be bought out.

It's too bad Dean made that decision last summer with his heart instead of his head.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Mike Richards is in Manchester because Sutter no longer trusted him in his own zone. He lost his check far too often and was giving up a Grade A chance almost every game. I watch the 4 centers ahead of him in the organization at this time in LA, and I don't see that happening as often with them in the lineup.

The reported rumors that Dean was looking to make a deal for another center before the deadline is also telling. Richards is done in LA this season, and with any luck he will be traded over the summer and the Kings won't have to eat his entire contract. If he isn't traded Richards' contract will likely be bought out.

It's too bad Dean made that decision last summer with his heart instead of his head.

The roster needs another Center because Stoll is garbage, Carter/Kopitar can't play 25 minutes a night, and Shore can't be trusted to play over 10 minutes a night.

You keep rehashing the reason Richards is in the AHL.

Everyone was guaranteeing Richards would be gone at the trade deadline...Still here. No one is taking that contract, even at 30% retained. It will have to be a buyout, Which is not as easy as people think.

Lombardi has to go to his boss, and say "I need 20 million dollars to make a player go away".

If Stoll/Shore were doing a better job, and Richards had not screwed the Pooch. Lombardi would not need another Center.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The roster needs another Center because Stoll is garbage, and Carter/Kopitar can't play 25 minutes a night, and Shore can't be trusted to play over 10 minutes a night.

You keep rehashing the reason Richards is in the AHL.

Everyone was guaranteeing Richards would be gone at the trade deadline...Still here. No one is taking that contract, even at 30% retained. It will have to be a buyout, Which is not as easy as people think.

Lombardi has to go to his boss, and say "I need 20 million dollars to make a player go away".

People come in here and say it's a joke that Richards was sent down in the first place, so it's perfectly reasonable to restate why he was sent down.

The whole buyout thing sucks, but the whole bring him back thing sucks more. This team has an open window right now with Doughty, Quick, Kopitar (if he can get his **** together again) and Carter to win more cups. Lombardi and AEG owe it to the fans to cut loose any dead weight that hinders winning cups. We waited 45 years, now is our time. We paid for this opportunity and now I want to see a return on my investment.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think a lot this season depends on Stoll/Shore.

If the Kings continue to get ZERO production from those two, and remain in a playoff dog fight(not fallout completely).

I would bet we see Richards in a Kings uniform again. Especially if he maintains his current excellent play in the AHL.

Stoll/Shore cannot continue to produce nothing. Sutter has already called out both recently.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think a lot this season depends on Stoll/Shore.

If the Kings continue to get ZERO production from those two, and remain in a playoff dog fight.

I would bet we see Richards in a Kings uniform again. Especially if he maintains his current excellent play in the AHL.

Stoll/Shore cannot continue to produce nothing. Sutter has already called out both recently.

Stoll is playing himself out of a job next season. As it stands now, I expect to see Stoll walk as a UFA, Richards be bought out, and Dean acquire a #3 center in a trade or in the UFA market.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
People come in here and say it's a joke that Richards was sent down in the first place, so it's perfectly reasonable to restate why he was sent down.

The whole buyout thing sucks, but the whole bring him back thing sucks more. This team has an open window right now with Doughty, Quick, Kopitar (if he can get his **** together again) and Carter to win more cups. Lombardi and AEG owe it to the fans to cut loose any dead weight that hinders winning cups. We waited 45 years, now is our time. We paid for this opportunity and now I want to see a return on my investment.

It's a joke because it didn't improve the teams situation... and caused a situation where a reported trade fell through because teams weren't seeing Richards play more then 10 minuets a night.

Hate to be the barer of bad news... Teams window is getting smaller and fast. Players like Stoll and Williams are long shots to be on the team next year because of the cap and will need to be replaced.... the Kings are looking like they'll have some sort of cap hit penalty coming from Richards which will further hamper their ability to replace guys like Williams/Stoll....

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Stoll is playing himself out of a job next season. As it stands now, I expect to see Stoll walk as a UFA, Richards be bought out, and Dean acquire a #3 center in a trade or in the UFA market.

Not a lot of money for this unless the Kings are moving Martinez/Muzzin...

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

I agree 100% with cutting lose dead weight.

Stoll/Greene.

Being on cheap contracts is not a reason to remain an LA King. They provide nothing on the ice.

Forbort can provide missing his checks, getting beat with speed (consistently) also play 10-12 minutes a night at a fraction of the cost of what Greene costs.

Stoll, is done being a Center that plays 15 minutes a night.

Unfortunately Lombardi kept unproductive bottom six players in Nolan/Clifford. Now there is nothing wrong with bangers/energy players (guys that hit) but when your bottom six is littered with Trevor Lewis (types) IE -No offense, you are going to have issues.

Also the Kings for right now are stuck with Richards due to his contract. It's 50% retained, or buyout. Or pray to some god that Richards finds something in the AHL to reverse course on his career.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's a joke because it didn't improve the teams situation... and caused a situation where a reported trade fell through because teams weren't seeing Richards play more then 10 minuets a night.

Hate to be the barer of bad news... Teams window is getting smaller and fast. Players like Stoll and Williams are long shots to be on the team next year because of the cap and will need to be replaced.... the Kings are looking like they'll have some sort of cap hit penalty coming from Richards which will further hamper their ability to replace guys like Williams/Stoll....

They won 8 games in a row and got back in the playoff hunt. They were dead in the water with Richards on the roster. This team's window doesn't depend on Williams or Stoll. Lombardi will have to find younger and cheaper replacements. He has one in Shore and he may have one in Weal or O'Neill, though I think O'Neill is too small.

You're right about one thing Dean should have bought out Richards' contract last summer.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
They won 8 games in a row and got back in the playoff hunt. They were dead in the water with Richards on the roster. This team's window doesn't depend on Williams or Stoll. Lombardi will have to find younger and cheaper replacements. He has one in Shore and he may have one in Weal or O'Neill, though I think O'Neill is too small.

You're right about one thing Dean should have bought out Richards' contract last summer.

The Kings were dead in the water cause Kopitar/Carter went on just unbelievable Slumps.

It had nothing to do with Richards, Richards simply played himself off the roster.

Richards didn't bury the Kings, Kopitar/Carter dug the Kings a hole. This Kings team goes as Kopitar/Carter goes.

Lombardi had to do something, Richards was a logical choice. But he wasn't the reason the Kings dug themselves a hole. Just like Stoll/Greene are not the reason's for the last three losses.

Kopitar/Carter.

Kopitar's last three games:

0G 2A 2P -5...That is why the Kings lose games. Want to know why the Kings can't beat the Ducks this season ? Kopitar Vs. Kesler (so far) is a -5 in four games. Kesler has owned Kopitar in that match-up.

Last edited:

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don't take joy out of the Kings sucking. I do take a little bit of joy on just how wrong so many people were, especially the ones who were downright rude on both the board and PM's. I was laughed off this board last January when I said they should look into using the buyout, and laughed off in the fall when I said if he doesn't improve he will end up out of the league. Don't think for a second that I wouldn't be getting ripped to no end if he returned to the form of his prime years.

I also find it funny that we have had posts in this thread blaming viral infections, Sutter being a Richards hater, poor linemates, Richards being "set up for failure", Richards is in the minors to send a message to the team, Richards is in the minors to save money (no sense) yet you continue to single me out in this thread. It's quite funny with all the ludicrous stuff posted.

I'm not really singling you out, it just seems that way since every 3rd post in here is from you . :) I mean ****, the guy has been in the minors for a month, we're 3000 posts in, and you still not only are constantly going on about him, you're saying you're going to keep it going until the cows come home. Seems a bit like an obsession is all.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Kings were dead in the water cause Kopitar/Carter went on just unbelievable Slumps.

It had nothing to do with Richards, Richards simply played himself off the roster.

Richards didn't bury the Kings, Kopitar/Carter dug the Kings a hole. This Kings team goes as Kopitar/Carter goes.

Lombardi had to do something, Richards was a logical choice. But he wasn't the reason the Kings dug themselves a hole. Just like Stoll/Greene are not the reason's for the last three losses.

Kopitar/Carter.

Kopitar's last three games:

0G 2A 2P -5...That is why the Kings lose games. Want to know why the Kings can't beat the Ducks this season ? Kopitar Vs. Kesler (so far) is a -5 in four games. Kesler has owned Kopitar in that match-up.

True, if your best players aren't your best players, you're screwed.

Mike Richards was not helping the Kings win games though, and he contributed to the long slump with some very poor play in his own zone.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Not this 'The Kings owe us' stuff again. DL and AEG had little to do with the previous 45 years, especially DL. They have brought two Stanley Cups and 10 playoff series wins in three years. They have brought more than should be expected, they don't you, me or any fan anything right now. The odds of winning a cup is 1/30 overall, so going strictly by the odds we shouldn't expect a second cup until 2027. Two cups in three years is team hall of fame worthy. Right now the fans are the last group DL and AEG are worried about.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Not this 'The Kings owe us' stuff again. DL and AEG had little to do with the previous 45 years, especially DL. They have brought two Stanley Cups and 10 playoff series wins in three years. They have brought more than should be expected, they don't you, me or any fan anything right now. The odds of winning a cup is 1/30 overall, so going strictly by the odds we shouldn't expect a second cup until 2027. Two cups in three years is team hall of fame worthy. Right now the fans are the last group DL and AEG are worried about.

True.

IF anything AEG owes its corporate sponsors something. Corporate sponsors account for the vast majority of revenue in most hockey teams I would speculate.

It's those box suite sells, lease.

In MLB/NFL it's different, T.V. money accounts for a lot of the teams revenue(especially the NFL).

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Is David Legwand any good in a 3C role I wonder? One more year at 3 million. There are mixed reports I've gleamed on the Ottawa board, I trust none of them on sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad