Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
David Legwand is an excellent Center in the bottom six. I doubt Ottawa would part with him. They will probably resign him.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
AEG owes the fans nothing. They've given the Kings fans two Cups and that is more than most of the other teams from the original expansion group can say. Only Pittsburgh has a third one and Philly hasn't won it in 40 years. I think AEG has made up for the futility of the past ownership and management groups.

This is how I feel.

AEG Hired Lombardi, and allowed him to rebuild properly. They also allowed Lombardi to spend to the cap over the last four years.

AEG owe's me nothing.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
This is how I feel.

AEG Hired Lombardi, and allowed him to rebuild properly. They also allowed Lombardi to spend to the cap over the last four years.

AEG owe's me nothing.

I FIRMLY believe that, before anything else, winning teams start with good owners. You can get the best GM in the world, but if owners meddle, you've got problems. You also need an owner who will let your team spend money (Looking at you, Eugene Melnyk). Anschutz is one of the best owners in the league. Why? Because his role is exactly what it should be - hire the right people and then hand them your check book.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
AEG owes the fans nothing. They've given the Kings fans two Cups and that is more than most of the other teams from the original expansion group can say. Only Pittsburgh has a third one and Philly hasn't won it in 40 years. I think AEG has made up for the futility of the past ownership and management groups.

When you have a team that is in a position to win, you don't handicap them by hanging onto the anchor that is Mike Richards' contract, and I don't think the Kings will do that.

Of course they owe the fans something, the fans pay the bills. If management is content with just making the playoffs with guys like Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, and Gaborik on the roster, then they are in the wrong business.

People are ok with going all in on the Sekera trade, and rightfully so. It's the same concept with the Richards' contract. You can't go all in with that contract on the books.

I FIRMLY believe that, before anything else, winning teams start with good owners. You can get the best GM in the world, but if owners meddle, you've got problems. You also need an owner who will let your team spend money (Looking at you, Eugene Melnyk). Anschutz is one of the best owners in the league. Why? Because his role is exactly what it should be - hire the right people and then hand them your check book.

This is another way of putting it for sure. Dean knows he screwed up last summer, and the only way to fix it now as it was then is with cash. If AEG wants a successful team on the ice, and I believe they do, then they will let Dean fix this problem.

When you have a team that is in a position to win, you don't handicap them by hanging onto the anchor that is Mike Richards' contract, and I don't think the Kings will do that.

Of course they owe the fans something, the fans pay the bills. If management is content with just making the playoffs with guys like Doughty, Quick, Kopitar, Carter, and Gaborik on the roster, then they are in the wrong business.

People are ok with going all in on the Sekera trade, and rightfully so. It's the same concept with the Richards' contract. You can't go all in with that contract on the books.

Don't blame AEG for Mike Richards. That's all on DL and Richards. DL has done a fine job and usually corrects his mistakes. I'm sure he'll fix that situation as well.

AEG owes the fans entertainment. I think they've figured out that winning translates to better entertainment which turns into more revenue. Its up to everyone to decide how they spend their dollars and right now it seems like AEG and the management they've installed are doing a good job of keeping the dollars flowing in. Tickets have never been more expensive and ratings have never been higher. I'm guessing their merch sales are doing just fine as well.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Don't blame AEG for Mike Richards. That's all on DL and Richards. DL has done a fine job and usually corrects his mistakes. I'm sure he'll fix that situation as well.

AEG owes the fans entertainment. I think they've figured out that winning translates to better entertainment which turns into more revenue. Its up to everyone to decide how they spend their dollars and right now it seems like AEG and the management they've installed are doing a good job of keeping the dollars flowing in. Tickets have never been more expensive and ratings have never been higher. I'm guessing their merch sales are doing just fine as well.

These people are AEG employees. Of course you blame AEG for Richards. How is Lombardi going to fix the problem with Richards without spending a boatload of AEG's money?

If they decide to hang on to Mike Richards due to the cost of buying out his contract, and it lowers the performance of the team on the ice, I won't buy tickets.

Again I don't think this will happen, because Lombardi knows he has to do as much winning as possible in the prime years of his best players.

These people are AEG employees. Of course you blame AEG for Richards. How is Lombardi going to fix the problem with Richards without spending a boatload of AEG's money?

If they decide to hang on to Mike Richards due to the cost of buying out his contract, and it lowers the performance of the team on the ice, I won't buy tickets.

Cross that bridge when you get there. AEG didn't nix a buyout as far as any of us know. Are you saying you'd like the guys above DL to start meddling in hockey decisions?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Cross that bridge when you get there. AEG didn't nix a buyout as far as any of us know. Are you saying you'd like the guys above DL to start meddling in hockey decisions?

No, I am saying that AEG needs to spend the money to buy out Richards' contract, if that is what Dean wants done.

The problem is Dean should have crossed that bridge last summer. The fact that it was even thought about within the organization is a good indicator that AEG will let Dean spend the money. Some here have suggested that the amount of money it will take will be a big problem. I hope not.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We're really going to take Mike Richards past 3,000 posts?

We're really going to take Mike Richards past 3,000 posts.

:facepalm:

right.gif

No, I am saying that AEG needs to spend the money to buy out Richards' contract, if that is what Dean wants done.

The problem is Dean should have crossed that bridge last summer. The fact that it was even thought about within the organization is a good indicator that AEG will let Dean spend the money. Some here have suggested that the amount of money it will take will be a big problem. I hope not.

I still can't figure out why it is AEG's fault that Richards is one the payroll when they were never asked to do anything about it.

I don't think AEG will balk at a request to use a buyout but I'm sure DL 1) thought Richards could return to a reasonable level of play and 2) didn't want to go ask for a mea culpa if he didn't feel it was necessary.

I know everyone in here thinks they are a scout and knew what was best last summer. They've been patting themselves on the back quite a bit for it. I was certainly wrong even though I was amongst many of the people cursing Richards name on a nightly basis over a year ago before the goosestepping began. I just felt like there was no way the guy would continue to deteriorate to where he is now. There are quite a few people in my shoes.

But the back patting is ridiculous. I spent way too much time arguing with Herby, PSP and the rest of what I called the "axis of evil" during the dark years of the late 2000's about what DL was building. When they won the Stanley Cup I wanted to dig up every "Dumbardi" comment on here and shove it their faces but I was too happy that the team actually won to even bother with that. I do agree with Bandit and there is an odd joy people take in being right even when it comes at the detriment of the team. So maybe you guys were right about this one. Have a cookie!

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
You can't really blame DL for not wanting to buy out Richards. They were just coming off a cup win, Richards was a big part of the locker room and he had his word that he would train hard in the offseason. DL's job this summer will be to try to find a way out of the cap hit.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I still can't figure out why it is AEG's fault that Richards is one the payroll when they were never asked to do anything about it.

I don't think AEG will balk at a request to use a buyout but I'm sure DL 1) thought Richards could return to a reasonable level of play and 2) didn't want to go ask for a mea culpa if he didn't feel it was necessary.

I know everyone in here thinks they are a scout and knew what was best last summer. They've been patting themselves on the back quite a bit for it. I was certainly wrong even though I was amongst many of the people cursing Richards name on a nightly basis over a year ago before the goosestepping began. I just felt like there was no way the guy would continue to deteriorate to where he is now. There are quite a few people in my shoes.

But the back patting is ridiculous. I spent way too much time arguing with Herby, PSP and the rest of what I called the "axis of evil" during the dark years of the late 2000's about what DL was building. When they won the Stanley Cup I wanted to dig up every "Dumbardi" comment on here and shove it their faces but I was too happy that the team actually won to even bother with that. I do agree with Bandit and there is an odd joy people take in being right even when it comes at the detriment of the team. So maybe you guys were right about this one. Have a cookie!

Me too. I am as big a supporter as Dean could have on this board. He just made a mistake on Richards this time. My only point, and I think we are in agreement is that if Dean wants to buy out Richards' contract, AEG should let him.

I am not joyful over the Richards situation, but when I see people post something along the lines of the Kings would be better off if Richards was brought back up at this point in the season, I disagree.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
We're really going to take Mike Richards past 3,000 posts?

We're really going to take Mike Richards past 3,000 posts.

:facepalm:

Ofcourse. It is a top 3 worst contract in the sport for another five years and the team is up against the cap going forward. Until the situation is resolved it is going to be talked about because it has a massive negative effect on the franchise. All my friends in Chicago talk about when it comes to the Hawks is where Sharp is going this summer and who will take on Bickell's deal, people know about the cap, especially teams who have a chance to be crushed by it.

I don't know why the MOD's in particular are so ******** about this thread, you guys told people to take it to this thread now every one of you seems angry that it exists. And the funny thing is if we took away every single individual post that mentioned how stupid the thread is or "why does it exist" or "how are we at (insert # of posts)" the thread would be significantly smaller.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

And I admitted I was wrong about it, although I do stand by that it took a fundamental shift in thinking by trading a prized defenseman for a winger that finally put the Kings over the top and frankly saved Dean's job, because had they missed in 2012 he was gone. The point is they won and he deserves a ton of credit for it, I have admitted I was wrong and K17 won that battle, no harm, I was happy to lose that one.

But there is a fine line in winning and losing. Feaster and Shero were both fired after winning SC's because they started making goofy moves. The same could be said of Chiarelli if Boston doesn't get in this year. Now I am not advocating the firing of DL, not by any stretch but he made some goofy decisions himself last summer, decisions that are going to have long lasting effects on what kind of team he is capable of building. The people who defended and some continue to defend not making the buyout just have no leg to stand on, what was the reasoning for not buying out MR last summer. What was the potential good that could come of it vs. the potential bad that could come of it? Did people just forget that the Kings had Kopitar and Carter signed long term, so even if MR returned to something remotely similar he was still going to be a 3rd line center, and if he didn't he was going to end up in the AHL. I am still as amazed today that DL brought him back as I was the day it was officially announced. The risk vs. reward was not even close, it was like flipping a coin and getting 1/4 odds

And yes, I've been plenty wrong on players before, I wanted to keep Bernier and trade Quick for Carter. I wanted to sign Chris Drury. It happens.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know why the MOD's in particular are so ******** about this thread, you guys told people to take it to this thread now every one of you seems angry that it exists. And the funny thing is if we took away every single individual post that mentioned how stupid the thread is or "why does it exist" or "how are we at (insert # of posts)" the thread would be significantly smaller.

My post didn't comment on the worthiness of the thread at all. I'm just surprised people have this much to say about one player. The thread is still open, and it'll get a part 4 when the time comes, so how's about just taking my post at face value, rather than the massive conclusion jump? I don't think I've even posted in this thread before. I'm certainly not angry this or any thread exists. Nothing online is worth getting that worked up about.

Dean will get the situation resolved somehow. I'm not worried about that at all. You shouldn't be either. He was worth taking a chance on. 2 Cups!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Of course they owe the fans something, the fans pay the bills.

They owe the fans what they sell them; entertainment. they owe you a good hockey game each night, not a Stanley Cup. They don't even say they owe you a win all season long, just that you'll be entertained. To claim they owe fans contract buyouts and cup runs is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad