Mike Richards III (Cleared waivers 1/27/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
Thrice,

Maybe it was conditioning that was causing him to be so awful, we don't really know, supposedly that was going to be addressed last summer and if that was the issue it wasn't addressed.

My point was, some are arguing that the Kings sent him down as some kind of wake-up call or even for financial reasons, which makes no sense since they are paying more in actual dollars and the same in cap dollars to have Shore up. What it ultimately comes down to is for their push to the playoffs the Kings management and coaches thought Shore gave them a better chance to win.

At this point, it's inarguable. The Kings are better off today with Shore instead of Richards, period. There's nothing else to be said.

Moving forward, the best thing for all parties involved is for Richards to go down to the AHL and prove that he can re-gain his high level of play so the Kings can move him while eating the least amount of his contract as possible. If he can lead the Monarchs on a deep Playoff run I'm sure we'll see more interest around him this summer.

Based on Blake's statements, Richards is on the right track. He's got a long way to go and he's got a huge hill to climb to get back into the NHL but the early returns look promising.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Thrice,

Maybe it was conditioning that was causing him to be so awful, we don't really know, supposedly that was going to be addressed last summer and if that was the issue it wasn't addressed.

My point was, some are arguing that the Kings sent him down as some kind of wake-up call or even for financial reasons, which makes no sense since they are paying more in actual dollars and the same in cap dollars to have Shore up. What it ultimately comes down to is for their push to the playoffs the Kings management and coaches thought Shore gave them a better chance to win.

I think you are right, but one point that doesn't really support your claim is that Shore barely plays. 9:31 in ice time on average, only four times he played more than 10 minutes and only twice he's cleared 11 minutes in a game. Richards averaged 13:41 a game this season and even over his final five games was still getting 12:33 a game. Someone else in the line up is eating up the ice time Richards had other than Shore.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Thrice,

I don't understand why it can't be both? I don't disagree with you really, though.

At the crux of it, that's all some of us have been trying to say.

hockeywar

Jan 29, 2015
Everyone has been saying how bad he was defensively but looking at the stats, Kopitar -5, Brown -7, Muzzin -7. I think that he should still be playing his 13 min or so so that if they find themselves back in the playoffs the guys eating the anywhere from 3 to 8 min a game still have something left when it comes to playoff time. Defense is playing lots already I don't see a need to burn out key forwards to

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Everyone has been saying how bad he was defensively but looking at the stats, Kopitar -5, Brown -7, Muzzin -7. I think that he should still be playing his 13 min or so so that if they find themselves back in the playoffs the guys eating the anywhere from 3 to 8 min a game still have something left when it comes to playoff time. Defense is playing lots already I don't see a need to burn out key forwards to

Did you lose your train of thought?

Travtera

Apr 16, 2012
I'm not convinced that we're better off with Shore in the line up. But if the Kings are looking to buy Richards out in the offseason than I'm all for giving Shore the time with the big club if he was ultimately going to end up as our 4C next year.

My guess is if Richards plays well enough in the A, he is going to be called up to the Kings for the playoffs (assuming they make it).

I was watching some videos from Richards first season here and it is remarkable how much is game has fallen off. While he looked like he was a step quicker this year than last, his play with the puck was even worse than last year. Hopefully for his sake (and the Kings), he can work his ass off and salvage his career. Although, he'll be making a boatload of money even if he plays in the AHL. I read an article the other day that said he is making more money in the A then he was in the NHL because he doesn't have to put his money into escrow.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
My guess is if Richards plays well enough in the A, he is going to be called up to the Kings for the playoffs (assuming they make it).

I was watching some videos from Richards first season here and it is remarkable how much is game has fallen off. While he looked like he was a step quicker this year than last, his play with the puck was even worse than last year. Hopefully for his sake (and the Kings), he can work his ass off and salvage his career. Although, he'll be making a boatload of money even if he plays in the AHL. I read an article the other day that said he is making more money in the A then he was in the NHL because he doesn't have to put his money into escrow.

He also is seeing a savings in terms of taxes as well I think isn't he? I thought I read (can't back it up because I have no clue where I read it so no link available) that he was saving like 16% or something due to not having to pay escrow and certain taxes/tax amounts.

He also is seeing a savings in terms of taxes as well I think isn't he? I thought I read (can't back it up because I have no clue where I read it so no link available) that he was saving like 16% or something due to not having to pay escrow and certain taxes/tax amounts.

I'm not an accountant so I'm not sure how that works but NH has a lower (maybe none?) state income tax than California. But I believe he'd have to have a residence there. If he still finds himself in the AHL next year, he is going to be back in California so he'll be paying the 10% state income tax or whatever the rate is for millionaires. The good news is with that kind of money owed to him, he has every incentive to keep playing. I assume he'd rather be playing in the NHL with the luxuries (Jets, per diem etc) that are afforded to the players.

parineum

Jun 5, 2009

He's not paying escrow while in the AHL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

great deal for him

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I think you are right, but one point that doesn't really support your claim is that Shore barely plays. 9:31 in ice time on average, only four times he played more than 10 minutes and only twice he's cleared 11 minutes in a game. Richards averaged 13:41 a game this season and even over his final five games was still getting 12:33 a game. Someone else in the line up is eating up the ice time Richards had other than Shore.

Shore at 10 minutes is better than Richards at 14.

Would assume that a portion of the difference is being made up on the PK but even the other three centers picking up around a minute or so is better than Mike playing those minutes.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Shore at 10 minutes is better than Richards at 14.

Would assume that a portion of the difference is being made up on the PK but even the other three centers picking up around a minute or so is better than Mike playing those minutes.

BK totally of topic but whatever happened to the fight Dvds you were going to throw together?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
BK totally of topic but whatever happened to the fight Dvds you were going to throw together?

I stopped making yearly tapes around 2010 because everything is online now and a Kings fight tape would only be 15 minutes long.

I still have probably 13 seasons of DVDs with maybe four post-lockout seasons on a hard drive somewhere. Never got around to compiling a best of, however.

Big King, I thought the Kings Vision guys were gonna set you up with DVD's of your collection? Or did they just rip the video for themselves and give you a gift of some kind?

I was at a Red Wings fan fest at Joe Louis (my parents are from Michigan) in the mid 90's and some guy was selling a fight compilation video with all of Joe Kocur and Bob Probert's fights while they were on the wings up until that point. I remember watching it for a solid 15 minutes. I really wish I would've bought it because there were some great fights on there but I'm pretty sure that was VHS. But like you said, most of that stuff is on You Tube now anyway.

I was really big into trading audio/video bootleg concert footage when I was younger. I ended up giving all of that stuff away and that's a bummer to think about. A lot of that stuff is on you Tube now too but there were plenty of videos that aren't that I'd like to watch again.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Big King, I thought the Kings Vision guys were gonna set you up with DVD's of your collection? Or did they just rip the video for themselves and give you a gift of some kind?

I was at a Red Wings fan fest at Joe Louis (my parents are from Michigan) in the mid 90's and some guy was selling a fight compilation video with all of Joe Kocur and Bob Probert's fights while they were on the wings up until that point. I remember watching it for a solid 15 minutes. I really wish I would've bought it because there were some great fights on there but I'm pretty sure that was VHS. But like you said, most of that stuff is on You Tube now anyway.

I was really big into trading audio/video bootleg concert footage when I was younger. I ended up giving all of that stuff away and that's a bummer to think about. A lot of that stuff is on you Tube now too but there were plenty of videos that aren't that I'd like to watch again.

They did set me up with DVDs which is why I even have them: the rest of my collection is still on VHS and, yes, I still have a JVC Super VHS VCR plugged in.

I have the Kocur tape and the Probert tape somewhere. He'll...I've got a lot of tapes. Definitely my nerdiest thing from the past: making and collecting fight tapes.

Now it's posting on HF about making fight tapes in a Richards thread. I would of made a tape of Richards fighting the puck but I would of had to record in EP mode in order to fit it on a standard blank VHS and I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to recording quality.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I'm not an accountant so I'm not sure how that works but NH has a lower (maybe none?) state income tax than California. But I believe he'd have to have a residence there. If he still finds himself in the AHL next year, he is going to be back in California so he'll be paying the 10% state income tax or whatever the rate is for millionaires. The good news is with that kind of money owed to him, he has every incentive to keep playing. I assume he'd rather be playing in the NHL with the luxuries (Jets, per diem etc) that are afforded to the players.

That's not correct, it's where you work so his home games he will not pay taxes, he'll be saving around 30% compared to playing in LA. CA tax for people who make 1 million or more is 15%, plus the 16% escrow and Richards is making out like a bandit.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
@Rich_Hammond 1h1 hour ago
Mike Richards has a goal for Manchester tonight. 3 goals, 9 assists in 10 games.

I just wanted to bump this thread cos it's weird not seeing it on top of the first page. :naughty:

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Mike Richards has a goal for Manchester tonight. 3 goals, 9 assists in 10 games.

I just wanted to bump this thread cos it's weird not seeing it on top of the first page. :naughty:

Good good, everything is going according to plan. He comes back for the playoffs and wins the Conn Smythe and returns back as the Flyers Mike Richards and plays as a PPG player the rest of his career with LA. Mwhaha.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
He will our top 6 forward acquisition. DL had this planned all along. Somebody just needs to make sure his flight takes a layover in Columbus on his way back to LA.

:sarcasm:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013

Well played!

Serious discussion: Stoll or Richards... both tied at 15 points on the year for the Kings. Who is the better center at this point?

I'll throw some stuff out to get the discussion rolling.

Stoll has more games... gets (or used to get) Power play time...

Stoll may be better defensively when not laying on the ice.

Stoll paid less money....

Stoll is a UFA and won't cost the Kings money to sever ties with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad