Prospect Info: Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
But can they play defense? OR rather can they line up against the Getzlafs?

I think they've shown that they can play defense, and I'd rather have any of them than a Stoner type, who maybe can line up against the Getzlaf/Backes's of the world but whose 1st, 2nd and 3rd options are 'off the glass and out'.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think they've shown that they can play defense, and I'd rather have any of them than a Stoner type, who maybe can line up against the Getzlaf/Backes's of the world but whose 1st, 2nd and 3rd options are 'off the glass and out'.
The Wild played great vs Backes last season and the playoffs. ;)

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
It doesn't look promising...

Defenseman typically take longer to acclimate to the NHL. Dumba looked great offensively at 20 and wasn't a complete wreck defensively. Had some mistakes and wasn't as good defensively as any of our top-4 but I don't see a reason to think he's plateaued and can't get any better. I mean the kid wasn't great at all to start the year, then he got some AHL time and at the end of the year he was miles better, that shows that he's still growing and I don't understand how it can't look promising.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I was sure I was going to have to watch another gopher defenseman go to chicago.

Great move by Chuck to get him.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I love how he can move at the blue line. spin move reminds me of a Duncan keith like player. He does need to make sure to not do too much at the next level or he'll get burned, which I'm sure he will be told and can work on.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Will gladly eat crow on this one. Wow. Guess that means no Leopold or Prosser next year? Had a partner for Spurgeon?

Sign Leo as a 7th/depth/mentor in Minnesota and Iowa? Blum is out the door as far as I've heard.

You still have a lot of young guys on the end of the roster, and it would nice to be able to plug him in for some games.

This state produces more hockey players when there are local players making good on the home team. The Neal Broten effect of fans having a local legend to want to follow will be in full effect with Parsie here, and if Reilly succeeds! I credit the fanship of Broten to create fan frenzies that caused the super influx of players in the early 90's, that resulted in the dynasty Jefferson team etc... that team sent 9 players to the pros!

Yep, and hey...this state just produces players period, but that's the bit. One of my friends (non-Minnesotan) was making a comment to mine where I said the Minnesotan draw of "one of us" is a strong one, especially when we have a good team now.

Look at players trying to get moves to come back, or coming back, **** even non-Minnesotans. Why do you think Hunter landed back here? Whalen came back. Tyus is here now etc.

We love our own, and our own seemingly like playing for us.

To him this was somewhat of an abomination, but to me Minnesota at least sports wise has a Texas-like culture. Most would say (and all the Texans I know) that they are proud to be Texans more than say Americans (though they are obviously both), but Minnesota has that feel a bit too, it's not as prevalent perhaps, but I think it plays into it.

Hell, that's why I didn't play B1G ball when they asked me to walk on and had the coaches come talk to me since I was bigger than everyone on the team at the time. I said, I don't want to play the U, and (more importantly) I'd like to walk when I'm 50 without any issues unlike my Grandfather.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Don't agree with the rule, but any significant prospect we can get for $$ is huge considering how many picks Fletcher's dealt away. Not sure he fits on our 15-16 team but there is potential.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Only one of those highlights was a defensive play. :laugh:

Most were PPQB clips, which isn't bad. Just surprising.

Yeo will need to put a leash on Reilly. I really don't believe he ever played within a system. He was more of a "roamer." Lots of jumping up with the rush, spent a lot of time in the offensive zone below the goalline.

As much as the gopher homer in me wants to put him on the NHL roster to start, I have a feeling he may need to at least start in Iowa to get used to playing with structure.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he does go to Iowa, I wonder if they'd put him on the right side with he, Labbe and Olofsson all being LD's. I think he spent a little time over there this last season, but I'm not 100% sure.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Nothing like a free asset. Instantly our best d prospect and probably a top 3 prospect system wise.

Thought for sure he was going to be a hawk. Great job Fletcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad