Prospect Info: Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I don't want to portray Labbe as this super stud. Also take note that I don't exactly care for a lot of Reilly's game currently.

However, I do think Labbe can settle in as a #4 in this league. I think Reilly is all over the map Iin terms of career outlook. Regardless, getting a player of his caliber for nothing can be viewed as nothing short of great no matter your opinion of him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I just noticed this thread! Was too pumpd about getting back to full season tickets, I wasn't looking at the board thoroughly... then noticed this finally... HELL FRICKING YES!!!!!

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly - Spurgeon
Leopold (yes I'd still like to keep him on the cheap for depth) - Folin

Depending on late game situation... need a goal, Dumba stays with Marco... need to hold the lead, Spurgeon bumps up to that spot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I just noticed this thread! Was too pumpd about getting back to full season tickets, I wasn't looking at the board thoroughly... then noticed this finally... HELL FRICKING YES!!!!!

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly - Spurgeon

Depending on late game situation... need a goal, Dumba stays with Marco... need to hold the lead, Spurgeon bumps up to that spot.

As long as he earns that spot, I'm 100% fine with this.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
For me this just speaks to the "Minnesota we have a hockey team" bit and also how this could be the most "one of us! one of us!" state of all time. :laugh:

You now have kids that grew up watching the Wild and the team now is a draw to those who want to suit up for their home state.

That's why I think obviously the loss of the North Stars pushed this state back in terms of a Cup because you lost almost a generation of players that didn't have a "home team", and now they do.

I want to say I looked at rosters this season and they had the most people from their home state / province on roster than any other team, and that didn't include Vanek who has been in Wild territory since he was what 15-16, Haula and Suter too I think.

Either way, his USA jersey STAYS IN THE BOX until said deal is completed so the curse stays away.

They already "hated" the Wild, when they tanked and didn't get into the playoffs, even though they should have been more upset with Detroit that year.

Anyway, it gave them more of a fanbase then when I was going to games there almost 10 years ago now.

Technically Wisconsin is part of "Wild Country" so you'll likely get some of your guys who want to "play at home" unless they are from the far Eastern part of the state.
This state produces more hockey players when there are local players making good on the home team. The Neal Broten effect of fans having a local legend to want to follow will be in full effect with Parsie here, and if Reilly succeeds! I credit the fanship of Broten to create fan frenzies that caused the super influx of players in the early 90's, that resulted in the dynasty Jefferson team etc... that team sent 9 players to the pros!

As long as he earns that spot, I'm 100% fine with this.
Completely agree... just predicting he will. I predicted Dumba would last year too if you recall. He started out well, but then slipped and was demoted deservedly, but then beasted it in the AHL and earned a re-call and a permanent lineup spot during that recall.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly - Spurgeon

It's awesome to get a free player but that is a bit premature.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Completely agree... just predicting he will. I predicted Dumba would last year too if you recall. He started out well, but then slipped and was demoted deservedly, but then beasted it in the AHL and earned a re-call and a permanent lineup spot during that recall.

I wouldn't be surprised either. While I think that a year in the AHL would be best, he's going to be 22 and has completed 3 years of high level college hockey. Jumping to the NHL wouldn't be a huge shock.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I agree. I think penciling Reilly into the starting lineup this year is way too fast. I hope he gets a full year of AHL time.
Pencil can be erased.

I'm basing the prediction on the fact that Russo quoted Fletcher in saying that Reilly isn't the typical college player turning pro, and has a real shot at starting in the NHL immediately.

That was back when the wild were amongst 8 teams trying to sign him.

I wouldn't be surprised either. While I think that a year in the AHL would be best, he's going to be 22 and has completed 3 years of high level college hockey. Jumping to the NHL wouldn't be a huge shock.
Agreed.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Dumba
Reilly - Spurgeon

Really would hate to break up Scandella - Spurgeon, but also would really hate to have a Reilly - Dumba pairing.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
3on5:

Vanek
Reilly-Dumba

Bäckström

Don't forget the new 3-on-3 overtime too! :laugh:

In seriousness, I'm not ready to say Reilly can't make the team out of camp. Like Russo said, he'll have every opportunity to do so. Granted, he'll absolutely have to earn it, but they're going to be looking not only at whether he's NHL-ready, but also which environment he'll learn more from. Dumba still has plenty of rough edges, but they (IMO rightly) decided that playing up to the challenge of the NHL would be better for his development than playing down and dominating the AHL. They're definitely going to be looking to see if they can give Reilly the same opportunity.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Trying to hide both Dumba and Reilly in the same line up at this stage would be hilarity.

Putting a ton of pressure on your staff, the top 4, and goaltender. Which is why it's not happening.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Really would hate to break up Scandella - Spurgeon, but also would really hate to have a Reilly - Dumba pairing.

All lefties eventually play with most righties the way the wild rotate shifts anyway...

Brodin saw time with Scandella, Dumba saw time with Suter, I'm pretty sure that Scandella and Spurgeon will still get shifts together as they play with the ice time to keep Reilly sheltered etc.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Trying to hide both Dumba and Reilly in the same line up at this stage would be hilarity.

Putting a ton of pressure on your staff, the top 4, and goaltender. Which is why it's not happening.

I agree with this statement. Unless Minnesota moves Spurgeon, it would be stupid to break up our top 4.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Also we have a pretty undersized defense with Reilly in it and if we bring back Leopold...

Suter (6'1") - Brodin (6'1")
Scandella (6'1") - Spurgeon (5'9")
Leopold (6'1") - Dumba (6'0")

Reilly - (6'1")...

I think our biggest is either Suter or Scandy. Most of the rest are beanpoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad