Prospect Info: Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
He's fun to watch, wheelin and dealin all over the place. I think he does need to shoot a bit more on the PP, but he's still got that confidence and swagger going. Can't wait til his first good spinorama

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What is interesting about Reilly is that he knows how to dial it down offensively, and play more cautiously.

I'm not sure Dumba can do that very well. Dumba seems to get fumbleitis in his own end when handling the puck, and makes poor passing decisions...he's still young, so I 'm not super worried. What's weird is that he doesn't exhibit those same traits in the offensive end, for the most part. He looks aggressive, confident, is a decent passer, and , while not a stickhandling whiz, can handle it just fine, and is good at receiving a pass and shooting.

It's still really early to make any blanket pronouncements on Reilly's game, but he has been able to look not crap when playing with Prosser and Folin....that's not easy to do.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still believe that Reilly will be a top 4 Dman in the NHL, or at least a #5 with PP time. Don't know what he did over the summer, but he better not do it again. Looked weird in camp.

Course, I thought Bulmer would be an NHL'er, so what do I know?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I still believe that Reilly will be a top 4 Dman in the NHL, or at least a #5 with PP time. Don't know what he did over the summer, but he better not do it again. Looked weird in camp.

Course, I thought Bulmer would be an NHL'er, so what do I know?

He looked like his stick was cut to short.

Wasn't bad, wasn't good for a 3rd pairing e-man of the preseason games I saw.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, looked hunched over. Don't recall that from last year.

He has top 4 skating and puck handling skills. If he can pick up positioning and adjusts to the speed of the game on D he'll be fine. Problem is, there aren't a lot of opportunities for Dmen on the Wild, especially offensive Dmen. Suter, Dumba, and Spurgeon are all above average in that regard, and I believe Scandella and Brodin have untapped potential. It's not like any of them are old, either.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Funny, I noticed too that he skated like a very fluid neaderthal. Kinda like that style actually.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nobody besides our goalies and Granlund have looked very good the last few days, but having said that he looks OK. Still figuring out how to play at this level. Sometimes he is too aggressive, other times he defers too much. Can be careless with the puck, but that's what you get with offensive Dmen. Doesn't have much physicality...could bulk up a bit. Would've had a couple of goals but for posts.

Overall, he's been acceptable. It's not like he's getting babysat playing with Dumba, but they seem to do OK together.

He's got high end skating, passing, and to a lesser extent, shooting skills. He probably won't stay up once Scandella comes back, but that's because he is the one guy on the D corps that doesn't have to pass waivers to go down, AND, they want him to play lots of minutes and develop, not sit on the bench.

I have no doubt that he will be a NHL regular at some point.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
How has Reilly looked these past few games? Any notice of him actually being adapt to the NHL?

He's looked bad, but Boudreau has him with Dumba, so... He's not exactly getting much help defensively.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He drives plays really well, but needs to be paired with a defensive d-man as he learns the NHL game. He handles the puck like Spurgeon and makes the boneheaded mistakes of Dumba55.

The Dumba/Reilly pair is probably the worst combo the Wild could put out there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He needs more ice time to refine his game. The ozone instincts/ability are there, the dzone and situational awareness needs work.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's got all the physical skills, though I would like to see him hit the weight room and add ten pounds of muscle for next year. Talk to Folin about what he did.

There is no reason that Reilly can't be a top 4 Dman. His main problem is that he takes too many unnecessary risks....using moves that might work in college or the AHL, but not at the NHL level. In other words, he has to be simpler in his own end. Like many offensive Dmen, he is always looking for the home run, which gets him in trouble at times.

I think he is fine as a third pairing guy right now. Many teams would kill for him to be on their third pairing. He is, essentially, Jake Gardiner.

If he cleans up a couple of things, listens to Stevens, and goes to school watching Suter, Spurgeon, and Brodin, he should develop into a good Dman.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Sending him down is also a double edged sword. The things he needs to work on is against NHL level talent. He can light up the AHL from the blue line and it may or may not translate to the NHL.

Same thing with Pulkkinen, and along with Reilly are leading Iowa in per game points.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Good point. He is only one injury away. Difference with Reilly is that he has NHL level athleticism, speed, and size. Pulkinnen does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad