Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
except we didn't draft his teammates...Ambroz was already in the system and Collins wasn't committed to UM until after the draft I believe...

not 100% on that but I'm fairly certain...
Collins committed in 2012.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
He suits up and plays one shift in the 10th game.

It appears that a player has to actually appear in a game for it to count, but there are no minimums on ice time.

Someone would be looking for a new job.

I'm missing something MB.

Here's what I understand:
1. If MR signs with CBJ and plays 10 professional games, it counts as a year toward FA status and on his ELC.

2. If MR signs and only plays 9 games, the year doesn't count toward FA status or toward ELC year.

3. I could see that MR might not be happy if HCTR (or FO:sarcasm:) scratched him, but he's already signed at that point. Isn't he then an RFA at best after ELC expires? Yes, he's one year closer to UFA if he plays the 10th professional game, but that might not be in CBJ interests, and there would be enough time to salve the wound? Not saying I'd want to anger him, would not be recommended imo, but what are his options if that were to happen?

Not trolling, thought I understood how the MR contract situation works, but your post makes me question my understanding. :)

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/03/10/arace-column-0310.html

"The Jackets do not have a sterling track record in finding later-round diamonds in the rough. Here, they found one."

Um...off the top of my head - Cam, Calvert, Savard, Prout

Cam is the closest to a diamond. Savard maybe. Calvert and Prout dime a dozen guys if you take off the home town goggles. Put any of those guys into the draft this year and maybe Cam is a late 1st rounder. Reilly projected as a mid-1st if he was in this draft.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm missing something MB.

Here's what I understand:
1. If MR signs with CBJ and plays 10 professional games, it counts as a year toward FA status and on his ELC.

2. If MR signs and only plays 9 games, the year doesn't count toward FA status or toward ELC year.

3. I could see that MR might not be happy if HCTR (or FO:sarcasm:) scratched him, but he's already signed at that point. Isn't he then an RFA at best after ELC expires? Yes, he's one year closer to UFA if he plays the 10th professional game, but that might not be in CBJ interests, and there would be enough time to salve the wound? Not saying I'd want to anger him, would not be recommended imo, but what are his options if that were to happen?

Not trolling, thought I understood how the MR contract situation works, but your post makes me question my understanding. :)

His options are pretty limited, but signing a guy and then reneging on a promise (presumably there would be one that they'd get him 10 games this season) in less than a month would cause an awful lot of hard feelings and perhaps not enough time to soothe it.

If he leaves school, Reilly is giving up his senior season, a last shot at the title, and the last time he'll ever be able to play hockey with his two brothers again. To give that up and then get stabbed in the back isn't a scenario where a team's front office would want to bank on time healing wounds.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Thanks for the clarification, I mis-read your prior post as intimating that there was a contractual issue, not a "do what's right" issue.

I agree with you - stick to your word. Period.

And sorry for alleging that you "intimated" above - that isn't permitted on here....is it? ;)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So are you guys excited for him to sign then leave in two years or do you feel for some insane reason that he will want to play here..

If he signs, we'll have his rights he's 27 (with a few exceptions that, if he reaches, probably means he won't be a big loss)

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
So are you guys excited for him to sign then leave in two years or do you feel for some insane reason that he will want to play here..

Why insane? So much can happen in 2 years, it's a bit silly to think something a college junior thinks today won't have changed in that amount of time.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If he has the choice, I dont think there's anything we can offer him to make him choose us over essentially free agency. Hope im wrong, sounds like a great prospect, that just means other teams will want him too, and he'll get to choose

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Cam is the closest to a diamond. Savard maybe. Calvert and Prout dime a dozen guys if you take off the home town goggles. Put any of those guys into the draft this year and maybe Cam is a late 1st rounder. Reilly projected as a mid-1st if he was in this draft.

That they have played fully seasons at the NHL level makes them a good find. Let's not forget Atkinson as well. We have others from previous years as well.

I didn't read that article attached from the quote, but if the Dispatch said that they are pretty damn stupid.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why insane? So much can happen in 2 years, it's a bit silly to think something a college junior thinks today won't have changed in that amount of time.

I'm saying crazy to think that he would choose CBJ over let's say the wild or Blackhawks when he hits ufa if he's in it for the money or playing for his home team

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm saying crazy to think that he would choose CBJ over let's say the wild or Blackhawks when he hits ufa if he's in it for the money or playing for his home team

Not everyone shares those sets of values. Not every kid dreams of playing for their home team. I know, playing baseball, I had no dreams of playing for the Reds.

Not sure what's going on in his head. We'll find out however.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Whatever it's worth, Mike Reilly's dad is a minority owner of the Minnesota Wild...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Whatever it's worth, Mike Reilly's dad is a minority owner of the Minnesota Wild...
Oh, glory be.

If that's really the case, then
#1) we stand a very good chance of being royally ****ed, and
#2) I'm only one more "**** you, I'm going to Minny" blueliner contract from having the Wild on my **** list from now 'till the end of eternity.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Not everyone shares those sets of values. Not every kid dreams of playing for their home team. I know, playing baseball, I had no dreams of playing for the Reds.

Not sure what's going on in his head. We'll find out however.

I'm gonna guess Marge Schott was not your dad?...

Even if this kid signs here, he isn't gonna stay. No way IMO.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Oh, glory be.

If that's really the case, then
#1) we stand a very good chance of being royally ****ed, and
#2) I'm only one more "**** you, I'm going to Minny" blueliner contract from having the Wild on my **** list from now 'till the end of eternity.

I'm not sure his dad being a minority owner will have any impact. It's quite possible he chooses NOT to sign with the Wild for this very reason (if he becomes a UFA). For example, Mario Lucia chose Notre Dame over Minnesota for the sole reason that he didn't want to play for his dad. Reilly's situation is slightly different in that his dad isn't a coach or in a position to have any influence of his play. Like I said, just part of the minority ownership group.

I just thought it interesting that no one has brought up this fact before.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Maybe he doesn't want to be in his father's shadow at Minnesota... if his father even has a shadow in the Wild.

Brothers Koivu didn't want to play in the same NHL team.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Maybe he doesn't want to be in his father's shadow at Minnesota... if his father even has a shadow in the Wild.

He doesn't. Just part of the minority ownership group.

And I agree with you. It may not have any impact whatsoever. Just interesting.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

I don't think he casts a terribly large shadow in Minnesota. He's a minority owner listed amongst numerous LP(Limited partnership) on the Wilds website. Probably I'm sure he holds less then 5% stake.

It certainly wasn't even widely known his dad is a minority owner.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Even the Sedins said they would be fine being drafted by two separate teams, which until Brian Burke's incredible machinations at the 1999 draft was going to happen.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If he signs here his play and our offer down the road will be what decides whether or not he stays. If he wants to go somewhere else for other reasons he'll go now not then.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
To me, its a slap in the face to the jackets , who had the eye to draft him , and brought him in for development camp the past couple years, if he doesnt sign. But life isnt fair. Im not going to waste my time worrying about it, although i check this thread daily:help:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/wort...ms-will-want-to-sign-blue-jackets-mike-reilly

“He went through Columbus or the Ohio area on the weekend with the University of Minnesota. If you read his quotes, and Aaron Portzline did a big story on him today – he’s not – it didn’t sound good for Columbus.

“He’s a guy who was a small kid who’s gotten bigger and he’s a really talented puck-moving defenseman. And I think there are a number of NHL teams who are keeping their eyes on him. And if he doesn’t sign in Columbus – and right now the feeling is it’s not looking good for the Blue Jackets – I think you’re going to see a lot of teams jump into the race for this guy because heâ€s a really talented player.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad