Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
This whole scenario has me really confused. Why do you draft a kid that is going to go off to college and you have no control over whether he ultimately plays for you? Seems like a wasted pick if they don't ultimately sign with you. Seems like there ought to be some sort of compensation to the team that drafted the player. Can anybody help me understand this process? Thanks in advance.

Compensatory draft picks are awarded. One round later than the round in which the player was drafted, at the same pick where they were originally picked. CBJ would get a compensatory 5th round draft pick (#7 of the 5th round) if Reilly doesn't sign with us.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm going back through the CBA to make sure I didn't miss anything. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I did.

This whole scenario has me really confused. Why do you draft a kid that is going to go off to college and you have no control over whether he ultimately plays for you? Seems like a wasted pick if they don't ultimately sign with you. Seems like there ought to be some sort of compensation to the team that drafted the player. Can anybody help me understand this process? Thanks in advance.

The overwhelming majority of college players either sign with the team that drafted them (if they're good enough) or end up in the AHL or Europe because they failed to develop into legitimate NHL players.

Reilly's path to the current day is one that's not usually taken, where a kid is drafted, then plays a year of Junior B hockey (retaining his NCAA eligibility), and then goes to college. Reilly was 5'7" and 150 pounds when he was drafted, and he's gone up to 6'1" and about 185. He was regarded as a long-term project, and I'd be willing to bet that the hope was that he'd come far enough that he could be easily signed under the radar....he got there more than a bit ahead of time, and that brings us to the present day.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

Here is a pretty good breakdown of the relevant CBA provision and how the loophole has changed since the last CBA.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
How do you know this????? You get away with murder around here.... Rambling Brass..... jeez.

I want to know the hockey skills of this kid Reilly....

It makes me laugh when you call CBJWennberg41 by his previous moniker, Brass. I like debating him, and he's a good guy, but it still makes me chuckle.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I think if we would guarantee a spot for him right now, he'd sign here. However I am not sure that would be promised nor would I have a problem if it wasn't.

Nobody's spot is guaranteed, especially a rookie, they would never offer that up. My view, if he's that good, then I hope he comes here, but if he wants to pout like Carter about being a Jacket, then eff him, we don't want you.

I'm not a fan of US college players, they usually don't really make a huge impact and have trouble adjusting to the 82 game schedule and physical nature of the NHL. Juniors is closer to the real deal.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Compensatory draft picks are awarded. One round later than the round in which the player was drafted, at the same pick where they were originally picked. CBJ would get a compensatory 5th round draft pick (#7 of the 5th round) if Reilly doesn't sign with us.

Where do you see this? I can only find this regarding compensatory picks in the CBA:

Sec 8.3 (b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Where do you see this? I can only find this regarding compensatory picks in the CBA:

Sec 8.3 (b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft

Ah you are correct. I thought it read that you get a pick one round later no matter what round it occurred. That blows.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Here's the only tradeoff that matters right now.

Would Reilly rather be able to go wherever he wants for next season knowing that he's bound to that team for an extra year, or go specifically to Columbus next month and be able to go wherever he wants without being bound anywhere a year sooner?
If it's me, I'm choosing to go where I want to be. The waiting one year is a small price to pay to essentially be a FA your first contract. Location would satisfy me over the money for 1 extra year. If Minnesota is interested in him, I would think he's staying put

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
At this point for him, it isn't about the team, it's about the money. It makes no financial sense to sign a entry level deal. It doesn't mean he won't sign with us. Honestly, I'd expect him to IF we were competitive for the top bid.

However if he wants a Schultz-esque 3.75 million deal, then I don't think we can swallow that just to keep him. How high would you be willing to go?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
At this point for him, it isn't about the team, it's about the money. It makes no financial sense to sign a entry level deal. It doesn't mean he won't sign with us. Honestly, I'd expect him to IF we were competitive for the top bid.

However if he wants a Schultz-esque 3.75 million deal, then I don't think we can swallow that just to keep him. How high would you be willing to go?

He can't sign for any amount of money. Period. He is still a player required to sign an ELC which limits his contract value. Bonuses are all that can be added to ELCs to increase the value and they are historically near impossible to achieve. 20 goals, ppg, etc. Any reason for Reilly to snub Columbus it's simply because of opportunity or a strong preference to play elsewhere, not financial.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
He can't sign for any amount of money. Period. He is still a player required to sign an ELC which limits his contract value. Bonuses are all that can be added to ELCs to increase the value and they are historically near impossible to achieve. 20 goals, ppg, etc. Any reason for Reilly to snub Columbus it's simply because of opportunity or a strong preference to play elsewhere, not financial.

Absolutely correct. The Schultz deal was a max ELC, like Joey's & Murray's and most #1 picks. There is a cap hit element to those deals but not much chance of the cash going out the door. And if it does it means the kid had a great year.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site

Ah, my bad. I used a non-Capgeek site and got confused.

Well, then he better sign with us. :)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Ah, my bad. I used a non-Capgeek site and got confused.

Well, then he better sign with us. :)

They could be showing the bonus impact based on the ELC. That makes it look like more money that reality. It's my understanding that the bonuses are very hard to achieve within the ELC years. They are performance based.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
From Portys chat today regarding it was obvious Reilly didnt want to sign with cbj:shakehead

Was it obvious? I haven't seen anything that would suggest it was obvious? Up in the air? Now that I'd believe. It's pretty clear the Blue Jackets have stepped way up and out to impress the kid and make this a place he wants to sign. They had him here for the playoffs last spring, he joined them at a morning skate earlier this season in Minneapolis, and a large contingent of Blue Jackets folks will head to Ohio State to watch him and Gophers this weekend. Also worth noting that Jarmo Kekalainen mentioned him a the podium when he met the media following the trade deadline. Call it the full press. We'll see what he decided. Most think he's leaving Minnesota after this season. Very good college player, and he's up close to low-end NHL size right now.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just turned on the OSU Minnesota game and saw the stat that both OSU goals were scored within 20 seconds after Minnesota scored.

Looks like Mike Reilly will fit right in here.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 26m 26 minutes ago
Reilly is 6-1, 190 lbs, likely All-America for 2nd straight year, Hobey Baker finalist. First D-man in 20 yrs to lead @GopherHockey in pts.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 28m 28 minutes ago
Reilly was a 4th-rd pick (No. 98) in 2011. He weighed 155 pounds, looked like he was 11 years old. Thought @ToddSharrock was pranking me.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 30m 30 minutes ago
Spoke to @THNRyanKennedy - draft/prospects expert - about Reilly, who he said is a mid-first round talent.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 31m 31 minutes ago
Story will appear in Tuesday's paper. It's a situation of much significance to the #CBJ. They really want this kid.

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline · 32m 32 minutes ago
Wrote extensively about @GopherHockey D Mike Reilly,a #CBJ draft pick who - if he signs with Columbus - could draw into lineup this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Look forward to reading the story. Hopefully it changes my mindset.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I just get a really good feeling he's going to sign

A lot of autographs when he is the star of the Minnesota Wild

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have a really good feeling....

Most Reilly talk will continue to be annoying until this is over one way or another

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This whole scenario has me really confused. Why do you draft a kid that is going to go off to college and you have no control over whether he ultimately plays for you? Seems like a wasted pick if they don't ultimately sign with you.

You realize that any draft pick can refuse to sign with the team who drafts them. Three CBJ draft picks from the Canadian junior leagues have refused to sign with the Jackets - Kiel McLeod, Adam McQuaid and Trevor Hendrikx.

The only difference is players drafted out of the CHL can re-enter the draft, but some (like McQuaid) are traded. Hendrikx was re-drafted by the CBJ to prove a point. McLeod became a free agent.

Reilly fits into a weird exception where he can become a free-agent, but NCAA players seem to take a beating over this when there are more players drafted from other leagues who are forcing teams to trade them so they can choose where they play or electing to go back into the draft where teams know there are only certain teams they will play for (like what happened with Frederik Andersen)

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You realize that any draft pick can refuse to sign with the team who drafts them. Three CBJ draft picks from the Canadian junior leagues have refused to sign with the Jackets - Kiel McLeod, Adam McQuaid and Trevor Hendrikx.

The only difference is players drafted out of the CHL can re-enter the draft, but most (like McLeod and McQuaid) are traded. Hendrikx was re-drafted by the CBJ to prove a point.

Reilly fits into a weird exception where he can become a free-agent, but NCAA players seem to take a beating over this when there are more players drafted from other leagues who are forcing teams to trade them so they can choose where they play.

Yeah but they can't go back for at least 2 years and then they are still subject to the draft. No choice. Might be some age exceptions but for the normal draftee they don't become a free agent. I think there is a big difference. Especially with guys like Reilly who mature and develop form a 4th rounder to a mid-1st rounder. All things being equal I'd take a junior over a college player.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Look forward to reading the story. Hopefully it changes my mindset.

Read the stories (Arace wrote one as well as Portzline), and it does nothing to change my mindset. I still believe Reilly will leave and sign with somewhere else (and I've guessed the Wild for a while now so I'll stick to it.)

The article didn't really say much new. But this is a new quote from Reilly, and again, it didn't do anything to convince me otherwise that he is going to leave and sign elsewhere.

When Minnesota’s season ends — that could be in less than two weeks if the Golden Gophers don’t qualify for the NCAA tournament — Reilly is expected to notify Minnesota, the NHL and the Blue Jackets that he’s forgoing his senior season to turn pro.

Then it will get very interesting. The Blue Jackets will have 30 days after Reilly informs Minnesota he’s leaving school, or until June1 — whichever date is later — to sign him to a two-year, entry-level contract.

If he doesn’t sign with the Jackets, Reilly would become an unrestricted free agent.

“I haven’t looked too much into the overall situation, just kind of focusing on our season,†Reilly told The Dispatch before Friday’s game. “It’s been brought up a little bit, but I’m trying not to think about it too much.

“It’s something I’ll assess at the end of (Minnesota’s) season, when we’re done. You never know how it’s going to go.â€

The Blue Jackets said they have no indication what Reilly is thinking, but Kekalainen and company have tried hard to woo him.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2015/03/10/jackets-reilly-03-10.html

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Well...If he doesn't sign, it'll just be another guy to boo whenever he touches the puck in Nationwide. That's usually a good time.

Thats just my silver lining I guess.:dunno:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Read the stories, I agree there is not much there. I think the Jackets have a couple of advantages:

The ones Mayor brought up about if he signs here he could get to free agency a year early.

Possible immediate playing time on a team that appears to have a bright future with him joining a bunch of young guys with a few seasoned vets for counsel.

Other than that its a crap shoot. Hopefully we get him signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00