Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
First, mods if there is another thread this should be in please merge.

So with the trade of Wiz there's been a fair amount of discussion about Reilly and him not wanting to sign here. People keep hinting at information or sources but nothing concrete is ever put into text.

Reilly appears to be trending as one of the best defensemen in college and looks like he should be a good signing. So what's up; anyone know anything factual?

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Nothing beyond some of us trying to be amateur psychologists. I do know the club wanted him to sign over the summer but he didn't.

If his concerns were about cracking the roster and getting immediate playing time, today just made him signing here a lot more likely. He could fill Wiz's role as early as October depending on what happens over the summer.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
lots of unnecessary hand-wringing over this. the guy is just trying to maximize his contract, which is entirely his right under the current rules.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
lots of unnecessary hand-wringing over this. the guy is just trying to maximize his contract, which is entirely his right under the current rules.

I agree he is trying to maximize his contract. I think the hand wringing is warranted. He appears to be a good prospect. He can go just about anywhere he wants as long as that team is willing to pay him what he wants. About the only ties to Columbus are that his sister goes to school here and we had faith in him to draft him.

Wiz being gone probably helps our case a bit.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
So you think he signs here? How much extra money can he get by going this route?

Reilly is limited to the rookie salary cap, meaning the Jackets can offer him the max and no other teams can offer him more.

However, how much he actually makes could be impacted by other factors - such as whether he qualifies for bonuses and how much time he spends in the AHL. For example, there's no point of a bonus for certain number of goals scored or Calder trophy when he spends the whole season in the AHL.

It's more likely that he will want to sign for a team that's the best for his development or that will guarantee him NHL playing time. The question is how he sees the Jackets and how different the landscape of their dmen depth is now versus the beginning of the year. There's a lot more room for Reilly now than there was in the fall.

Reilly can't sign with another team this season. But if Minnesota is out of the NCAA playoffs, he could potentially sign with the Jackets and play this season with the Jackets. If his entire goal is to play in the NHL, then he signs and gets to play this season. Unless the team doesn't want to let a rookie mandate when he gets called up or plays.

Also, I've seen it implied that he only went back to screw the Jackets and get out of signing with them. Reilly is playing in Minnesota with his two older brothers. They were favorites for a National Championship. His decision to return to Minnesota likely had nothing to do with the Jackets.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Sign him when the Gophers lose and dress him for a game. Burns a year and gets him closer to UFA. Only we can offer that.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm beating a dead horse here. And sorry for the seemingly pessimistic view, but this is how it is at least in my opinion.

Reilly doesn't hold anything against the organization, but he's in a unique situation where he can control where he plays, and have teams come to him with offers and promises. I think he loves the city and state of Minnesota/Minneapolis and would like to play for the Wild. I don't even rule him out returning for his senior season with the Gophers, but I still doubt he signs with the Blue Jackets. Portzline (I know, people don't think he's reliable anymore and you're cool to have the opinion. But he is closer to the team than any of us so I do give that some credibility.) said in a chat he doesn't think Reilly signs with us. Of course this was before the Wisniewski/Leopold trades. Could things have changed? Maybe, but I doubt it. From the rejected ELC last summer to the very awkward intermission interview on FSOhio when asked about his future, I just don't see him coming.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i just know what one of the Minny guys told CBJP, that he doesn't think Reilly will sign with us, but with the recent roster changes, perhaps it was due to not making the roster...I think we just let it play out and see what happens...like Sam said, no one really knows...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

3:28 in Jarmo mentions Mike Reilly by name and says he looks forward to getting him signed. Idk if this is a power move, or if he knows something we don't. But I was just watching the presser and that jumped out at me.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm beating a dead horse here. And sorry for the seemingly pessimistic view, but this is how it is at least in my opinion.

Reilly doesn't hold anything against the organization, but he's in a unique situation where he can control where he plays, and have teams come to him with offers and promises. I think he loves the city and state of Minnesota/Minneapolis and would like to play for the Wild. I don't even rule him out returning for his senior season with the Gophers, but I still doubt he signs with the Blue Jackets. Portzline (I know, people don't think he's reliable anymore and you're cool to have the opinion. But he is closer to the team than any of us so I do give that some credibility.) said in a chat he doesn't think Reilly signs with us. Of course this was before the Wisniewski/Leopold trades. Could things have changed? Maybe, but I doubt it. From the rejected ELC last summer to the very awkward intermission interview on FSOhio when asked about his future, I just don't see him coming.

How do you know this????? You get away with murder around here.... Rambling Brass..... jeez.

I want to know the hockey skills of this kid Reilly....

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How do you know this????? You get away with murder around here.... Rambling Brass..... jeez.

The final words before the part you bolded that offended you so, Robert, are "in my opinion."

I'd say that's far less getting away with murder than the repeated purposeful and xenophobic misspelling of someone's name.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Savior? Has Wiz's charisma and spirit? Young Duncan Keith? No... Signs or not? I don't bother about it, we needn't " passengers" here. Anyway, we need proven TOP 2 D next season ( for all money) and we get Hanifin or Werenski or Provorov, in worst scenario Kylington

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Money is limited based on ELC rules. His reason is unlikely financially motivated if he chooses not to sign with the CBJ. I still think he signs.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Since everything almost invariably goes wrong for this team, he will sign elsewhere.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

To me, this is the key part according to the CBA:
- Because he turns 22 this calendar year, Reilly is considered 22 for the purpose of signing an ELC.
- Players both 22 and 23 years old are slotted the same, which is into having a mandated 2-year ELC, rather than a 3-year deal that a younger player would have to sign.
- Because of age, Reilly's ELC would not be able to slide under any circumstances. It takes effect in the NHL season that it's signed.
- Reilly would still be bound by maximum allowed compensation packages under the CBA terms.
- Reilly would be an RFA with arbitration rights at the expiration of his ELC.

So here's what it comes down to. If Reilly signs in Columbus before April 11, his two-year ELC will have one year remaining on it by the time the new league season begins on July 1. He would be an RFA with arbitration at the end of next season, in July 2016. If he signs anywhere else, this would not happen until July 2017.

Signing in Columbus gets him to a new second contract a full year faster, and to total UFA status a full year sooner. And Columbus is the only team that can offer that at all.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
If all he has to do is not sign and he can go where ever, then he's as good as gone.

Here's the only tradeoff that matters right now.

Would Reilly rather be able to go wherever he wants for next season knowing that he's bound to that team for an extra year, or go specifically to Columbus next month and be able to go wherever he wants without being bound anywhere a year sooner?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Would Reilly rather be able to go wherever he wants for next season knowing that he's bound to that team for an extra year, or go specifically to Columbus next month and be able to go wherever he wants without being bound anywhere a year sooner?

Interesting point you raise. It does make sense from his point of view but do the Jackets do that knowing they only have 2 years before he becomes a UFA? If he is as good as everyone says I guess it makes sense. Once you have him signed you can then try to extend him to a longer deal starting July 1 of this year, right?

Again I don't know if it makes sense to do that (try to lock him up sooner rather than later) he could be the next Justin Schultz. I suppose you have the same advantage by letting him play the season and then extend him.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

I think if we would guarantee a spot for him right now, he'd sign here. However I am not sure that would be promised nor would I have a problem if it wasn't.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
This whole scenario has me really confused. Why do you draft a kid that is going to go off to college and you have no control over whether he ultimately plays for you? Seems like a wasted pick if they don't ultimately sign with you. Seems like there ought to be some sort of compensation to the team that drafted the player. Can anybody help me understand this process? Thanks in advance.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->