Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Burning a year off his entry deal is the huge advantage. That's putting 2-3 million dollars into his pocket a year earlier. I suspect this gets done.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have kind of come over to the idea that moving Wiz (not Wiz specifically, but a current roster defenseman) was, in part, about Mike Reilly. I know Reilly doesn't slot straight into Wiz' place in the lineup, thus why I hedge that it didn't have to be Wiz, it just ended up being.

Reilly-Savard as a second pair? I'unno. The kid's getting pretty blown up at this point.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I thought the scenario was they would sign him to a PTO for remainder of this year then his ELC would kick in, but Porty is saying if we sign him and he plays it burns year one for 10-15 games...not sure that is optimal...

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
We also drafted his teamates in Collins and Ambroz maybe they can help get him here. The more it gets dragged on the more i do not like Reilly. Kid seems kind of like an a**hole. So theres no way we keep him because he wont be an RFA. we basically get him for two years then will lose him to the highest bidder? That really sucks.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
what's being "dragged on"???? he can't do anything until the season is over...there is no actual story yet....when UM's season is done, THEN it is a story

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I certainly hope Wiz wasnt traded to make room for Reilly when he isnt even signed yet, or played a NHL game yet. If thats the case, and Reilly doesnt sign, then what? If that is indeed the intention, they should have waited till the draft since Reilly would have had to of made a decision by then. If the Wild have interest in him, I bet he would sign with them first, and regardless, if he signs here, that just means he will sign after he's done his 2 years here

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I certainly hope Wiz wasnt traded to make room for Reilly when he isnt even signed yet, or played a NHL game yet. If thats the case, and Reilly doesnt sign, then what? If that is indeed the intention, they should have waited till the draft since Reilly would have had to of made a decision by then. If the Wild have interest in him, I bet he would sign with them first, and regardless, if he signs here, that just means he will sign after he's done his 2 years here

Calculated risk. Not the same as "making room" necessarily, just an encouragement.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I have kind of come over to the idea that moving Wiz (not Wiz specifically, but a current roster defenseman) was, in part, about Mike Reilly. I know Reilly doesn't slot straight into Wiz' place in the lineup, thus why I hedge that it didn't have to be Wiz, it just ended up being.

Reilly-Savard as a second pair? I'unno. The kid's getting pretty blown up at this point.

If we have to shelter a dman, would you rather it be a 21 year old on an entry contract or a 30 year old making 5.5 a year?

I think that's what it boils down to. If Reilly is a player for us, I think Connaughton is the one that might get pushed out since they seem to have similar attributes. We will HAVE TO add a veteran guy d-first guy that can play the right side and kill penalties.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Seems to be something wrong with the CBA if a drafted college junior can force UFA status.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
To me it really comes down to whether Reilly wants the money. If he does we are the best choice due to the faster path to ufa and apparent willingness to give him whatever he wants. However, if he wants to pick his team then there isn't really anything we can do.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
We also drafted his teamates in Collins and Ambroz maybe they can help get him here. The more it gets dragged on the more i do not like Reilly. Kid seems kind of like an a**hole. So theres no way we keep him because he wont be an RFA. we basically get him for two years then will lose him to the highest bidder? That really sucks.

I think it's a huge feather for us that we drafted his teammates, there is a huge bond you have with your teammates and if money isn't an issue, which it isn't because he can only get the max, then he will want to experience things with his boys, and if he's at all close with his sister, then this gets done. If his sister is a B*tch and he doesn't want to be close to her, then it probably doesn't.

I would think the family would like him to be close to his sister as well. I think we are all making too much of this, because of a dumb interview with Rimer. Rimer's coffee breath and moth ball smell probably had the kid shaken up and threw him off his game. Not to mention college kids rarely get interviewed on TV

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
except we didn't draft his teammates...Ambroz was already in the system and Collins wasn't committed to UM until after the draft I believe...

not 100% on that but I'm fairly certain...

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
except we didn't draft his teammates...Ambroz was already in the system and Collins wasn't committed to UM until after the draft I believe...

not 100% on that but I'm fairly certain...

well however we came to acquire their rights, semantics, it's good for us that we have them in the fold potentially, it's better than not having anyone he knows...

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
To me it really comes down to whether Reilly wants the money. If he does we are the best choice due to the faster path to ufa and apparent willingness to give him whatever he wants. However, if he wants to pick his team then there isn't really anything we can do.

One thing you're missing is that he can start earning money this season. If I'm not mistaken, if they get him signed, they'll put him in the lineup on the big club because he can't play in the AHL playoffs because they've already set their rosters. This would be a pretty big signing for them. Hopefully Reilly doesn't force his way somewhere else.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I think it's a huge feather for us that we drafted his teammates, there is a huge bond you have with your teammates and if money isn't an issue, which it isn't because he can only get the max, then he will want to experience things with his boys, and if he's at all close with his sister, then this gets done. If his sister is a B*tch and he doesn't want to be close to her, then it probably doesn't.

I would think the family would like him to be close to his sister as well. I think we are all making too much of this, because of a dumb interview with Rimer. Rimer's coffee breath and moth ball smell probably had the kid shaken up and threw him off his game. Not to mention college kids rarely get interviewed on TV

:laugh:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Did some more digging on the CBA.

Short version: Reilly would have to have 10 professional games this season for it to account as an accrued season, which would put him one year closer to arbitration rights and future UFA status.

This is a bit different than an ELC signed by a younger player. The younger guy (with slide risk) would have to play 10 NHL games, an older guy would have to play 10 professional games at any level.

Here are the important dates and who plays that day:
March 22 - Springfield (home)
March 24 - Columbus (home)
March 27 - Springfield (home) and Columbus (at CHI)
March 28 - Springfield (home) and Columbus (at STL)
March 29 - Springfield (at Worcester)
March 31 - Columbus (home)
April 1- Springfield (at Bridgeport)
April 2- Columbus (home)
April 3 - Springfield (home)
April 4 - Springfield (home) and Columbus (home)
April 6 - Columbus (at TOR)
April 8 - Columbus (home)
April 10 - Springfield (at Hartford) and Columbus (home)
April 11 - Springfield (at Syracuse) and Columbus (at NYI)
April 17 - Springfield (at St John's)
April 18 - Springfield (at St John's)

This provides the possibility of 16 pro games, although it wouldn't happen...the idea of having Reilly play pro games on five consecutive days while flying back and forth is so absurd it doesn't warrant further discussion.

However, here are the important days as it relates to Reilly's current status as a college player:
B1G tournament: March 19-21. Minnesota is going to be a top-4 seed in the tournament. The top two seeds get a bye to the second day (March 20). If Minnesota is a #3 or #4 seed and loses in the first round, they may miss the NCAA tournament entirely, making Reilly available in time for the March 22 game in Springfield if he signs. If Minnesota wins it or finishes #2, they'll go to the tournament. #3 is a possibility.

NCAA tournament first round: March 28 and 29. If Minnesota loses in this round and Reilly signs, he could still hit the 10-game threshold.

NCAA tournament second round: March 29-30. If Minnesota loses in this round and Reilly signs, he could still hit 10 games, but it would get a bit more dicey.

NCAA Frozen Four: April 10 and 12. If Minnesota makes it this far, there's no way for Reilly to hit 10 games.

EDIT: Missed the CBJ March 24 game against Anaheim, and added in physical location of each game.

The only way for Reilly to get 10 NHL games would be if Minnesota misses the NCAA tournament entirely. The tournament selections are made on March 22. Thankfully the 10-game threshold applies to all pro games, not just the NHL. Those two games on April 17 and 18 against St. John's are immensely helpful, as will the AHL playoffs unless Springfield completely collapses.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad