Mike Hoffman's Girlfriend allegedly behind harassment against the Karlssons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
potentially sending someone to jail vs letting them lead the same life minus contacting one person.

Yeah no, those are very different consequences hence very different strengths of evidence.
You act like a restraining order is some simple, easy to get thing. Restraining orders are usually in place because there is every reason to believe the actions will devolve into criminal activity.

Conceptually, the difference is more about the severity of actions believed to have happened, not the evidence used to feel it will be accepted legally.

lasvegascopper

Jun 17, 2017
The court/magistrate reviews every peace bond/restraining order. They determine if there is enough evidence for the application to go through. If there is insufficient evidence the order is rejected.

Reno

Jan 21, 2007
Because we don't know the facts. All we have is an allegation. Again, facts justify the motive for making an accusation. Until we cross that bridge, Ms. Caryk's reputation is getting crapped on unjustly. Everyone has a right to pre-judge Ms. Caryk, just like I can judge Melinda for making a baseless accusation thus far.

You don't know it's baseless.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Why wouldn't absolute privilege apply?

They made claims to a judicial body and should be covered by the defence of absolute privilege.
If I make claims stating a famous actor did something to me and im told there isnt enough evidence - news finds out - you think I cant be sued for that? Something I was told I cant even act on due to lack of evidence, therefore the claims arent justified...

wein

Jul 2, 2013
If I make claims stating a famous actor did something to me and im told there isnt enough evidence - news finds out - you think I cant be sued for that? Something I was told I cant even act on due to lack of evidence, therefore the claims arent justified...

Ok, that's not remotely the same as this situation and you also don't address how absolute privilege doesn't apply here.

Was Hoffman named in the application for a peace bond? If he wasn't, would he be able to allege they defamed him when they only named his girlfriend? Wouldn't Caryk be the only one who was defamed by the Karlsson's' anyway?

Last edited:

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I'm sure after the living hell they've been through the Karlssons just decided to go to the courts for ****s and giggles and that they just wanted more aggervation. Makes perfect sense.

Living in Hell? Look at the comment section of any celebrity (spoiler: it's not pretty).

Caryk and Hoffman are being tried in the court of public opinion with ZERO concrete evidence against them.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Do you really think the Karalsson's just went to the court with a handful of anonymous tweets? They likely went to a very good lawyer who then put them in contact with some experts who helped them acquire additional evidence. They also have likely been following the advise from their attorney for each measure that they have taken.

It doesn't mean they are right and Caryk's guilty but I would be pretty surprised if they haven't done a significant amount of due diligence and hadn't been briefed by a number of experts prior to going through with their claim.

OK, the sort of thinking in the post above has been repeated a lot in this thread and seriously, it's just not true.

No, rich people aren't less likely to file things frivolously and no, they aren't less likely to go legal just for shits and giggles. On the contrary, the courts are crammed with extremely long litigious processes that the judges listen to while facepalming, when they're not almost begging both parties to act like adults and stop eating valuable time and legal system resources that more modest individuals could well use. Just because you're rich doesn't mean your lawyers are angelic voices of reasons. Or that your case is rock solid. Or that you've hired experts to crack twitter because of a few flame posts. Please.

With that being said, I have absolutely no way of knowing who is right or wrong based on the official information that has been shared so far. I just think it's funny as hell how people overestimate what circumstances like money mean in things like this.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
And how do u know there is any proof? The fact that they made it go public means they should at least provide some proof. Im not backing either side im just saying that if Karlssons cannot provide any proof that is huge defamation against Hoffman.

Im not saying the Hoffmans are innocent or guilty.
Since you dont seem to get it (its been mentioned 40+ times...), they didnt ”go public” and tried to keep the law out of it as long as they could. Do you really think someones that stupid to do something like this (accusing a teammate) with any proof at all?

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Living in Hell? Look at the comment section of any celebrity (spoiler: it's not pretty).

Caryk and Hoffman are being tried in the court of public opinion with ZERO concrete evidence against them.
What part of "Their baby died and then they had to deal with psychotic bullshit" are you unable to comprehend? Jesus Christ.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
These kind of orders being granted on an ex parte basis doesn't mean much, they oftenly get vacated upon review.

Ontario is different from where I live but on reviewing the link posted earlier, she can refuse the bond and they will go a hearing. That is where we will get real oversight and their evidence will be tested.

Look forward to this story unfolding, this is going to be something else.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
These kind of orders being granted on an ex parte basis doesn't mean much, they oftenly get vacated upon review.

Ontario is different from where I live but on reviewing the link posted earlier, she can refuse the bond and they will go a hearing. That is where we will get real oversight and their evidence will be tested.

I sure as hell am not looking forward to it because it's incredibly likely to make me lose all faith in humanity.

lasvegascopper

Jun 17, 2017

If a justice doesn't believe there is evidence the peace bond will not be granted. There had to be evidence that supported a court order.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
After reading this story which says Monika Caryk has hired a lawyer to investigate all this I'm not sure what to think.

EXCLUSIVE: Hoffman, fiancee deny harassing the Karlssons

I do know in the eyes of the law you're innocent until proven guilty.
Unfortunately in the public eye many lives have been almost ruined because of false accusations or just plain horrible policing.

Sad situation no matter how it ends up.

I do know if someone sends you an email their IP address is easily obtained.
Though with Twitter and Instagram I believe only a court order requesting the IP address and other info would give you access to it.

All that said even if you have an IP address, it only tells you what ISP and a general location.
To get conclusive identifying info would require a warrant.

Though it would help if the party had sent you emails before and identified themselves.

MAC address is also stored by email servers and Twitter/FB. That's device specific.

Reactions: Playerwinner

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Getting a peace bond is destroying someone else's life?
There's no "verdict" here to await. The Karlsson's just want the harassment to stop, and had to get a judge involved for it to happen. The peace bond is basically being used as a mini-restraining order to prevent contact between Caryk and them.

Victims Right's in Canada – Peace Bonds Fact Sheet

Has anyone looked into whether the harassment has stopped? That would be interesting to know because if the troll is someone else, why would they stop over a peace bond placed on the wrong person?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Really weird anyone would be swayed by the Caryk interview. I mean really, if she's guilty, you really expect that type of a person to come out and say "yes, I did it, it was wrong"? Maybe if she's absolutely cornered with no means of escape and understands that it's in her self interest to shed some crocodile tears. If you've got a personality disorder (as anyone writing that kind of stuff would have) lying is what you'd do even when it's not in your best interest.

It's not that the interview changes my mind, it's the fact that Hoffman is doubling down on the denials. Why would he do that if he knows it's true? He has by far the most to lose here and staying silent would have been in his best interests because it gives him avenues to escape from this if it's true (e.g., cut her loose). Now he's practically complicit assuming it's true and he knew it.

That's the only reason this interview opens the possibility (in my mind anyway) that it wasn't Caryk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad