Mike Hoffman's Girlfriend allegedly behind harassment against the Karlssons

Status
Not open for further replies.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
From a hockey perspective, it really does not matter who ultimately is proved right or wrong. The damage to the team was done the moment that the best player's wife filed criminal charges against a lesser star's girl friend. It is now public and there is now way to walk it back. Every one loses...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Since you dont seem to get it (its been mentioned 40+ times...), they didnt ”go public” and tried to keep the law out of it as long as they could. Do you really think someones that stupid to do something like this (accusing a teammate) with any proof at all?

people grieving a loss will often do anything to reduce the pain. I have no idea whether it applies in this case but the notion that people will always act rationally after such a loss is completely misplaced.

In the continuum of reactions to loss, this one ( if it is indeed one) is relatively mild. I have not idea how this plays out but it can not longer be written off as a mere misunderstanding and someone is going to have to pay the piper.

tragedy piled onto tragedy

Reactions: JuniorNelson

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
MAC address is also stored by email servers and Twitter/FB. That's device specific.

and easy to spoof. its not the mac address, its the IP that will tell the tale ( yes even if behind a VPN, provided they can succesfully supoena the logs). This all assumes some modicum of tech savyness, which trolls ( if it was a troll) often possess in spades.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
MAC address is also stored by email servers and Twitter/FB. That's device specific.

This is not the case. Twitter/FaceBook etc will only know the IP address. They will have no knowledge of the MAC address of the machine that is posting those messages, MAC addresses of individual devices do not leave the LAN. Only the router/gateway-device in their home has the knowledge of MAC addresses of machines sitting behind it.

Last edited:

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is not the case. Twitter/FaceBook etc will only know the IP address. They will have no knowledge of the MAC address of the machine that is posting those messages, MAC addresses of individual devices do not leave the LAN. Only the router/gateway-device in their home has the knowledge of MAC addresses of machines sitting behind it.

I stand corrected. I thought I read that in a news story somewhere.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Their statement is also hilariously dumb. "That girl Winnik..." Really? She lost so much credibility with that comment pretending like she doesn't know who those people are.

That's the part that gets me. As if:

a) she didn't know a woman that was on Hockey Wives

and

b) if she truly didn't know who she or her husband were, tell me she didn't google them to find out.

Instead, she acts like she's totally clueless.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Should this be a topic that we should talk about at all? It's a complete private matter that was leaked and if this was you, would you want millions of people knowing about your business. This is the part of culture that is not and should not be acceptable. Let them handle this themselves and we should just stick to talking hockey. Yes, I am aware that this affects the team, but talk about the movements of players themselves (ie, being traded, not traded and for whom and for how much) and not their private lives.

93 pages of nosey-ass people. Leave them alone and if you want to help, make sure you fight back against cyber bullying when you see it, not just talk about it. Educate.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Should this be a topic that we should talk about at all? It's a complete private matter that was leaked and if this was you, would you want millions of people knowing about your business. This is the part of culture that is not and should not be acceptable. Let them handle this themselves and we should just stick to talking hockey. Yes, I am aware that this affects the team, but talk about the movements of players themselves (ie, being traded, not traded and for whom and for how much) and not their private lives.

93 pages of nosey-ass people. Leave them alone and if you want to help, make sure you fight back against cyber bullying when you see it, not just talk about it. Educate.

Yes best way to educate is to hide and ignore the issue. On one hand you do not want any talk about it at all, on the other hand you are saying educate on the issue. I hate that line of thinking.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Why should they share it to you or the media?

Well I mean they were so eager to share the name of a teammate and his gf to the media, you’d think they’d back it up too. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

All I’m saying is that I’m just waiting for concrete evidence.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Well I mean they were so eager to share the name of a teammate and his gf to the media, you’d think they’d back it up too. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. All I’m saying is that I’m just waiting for concrete evidence.
And when did they do that? Do you have some evidence that the Karlssons leaked it? You should probably post it if you do. If you don't, don't make shit up.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well I mean they were so eager to share the name of a teammate and his gf to the media, you’d think they’d back it up too. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

I'm pretty sure it was that reporter for the Ottawa Citizen that ran the story revealing the whole ordeal, not the Karlssons themselves making it public knowledge.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
And when did they do that? Do you have some evidence that the Karlssons leaked it? You should probably post it if you do. If you don't, don't make **** up.

First of all, take a seat and relax.

Second of all, even if it wasn’t them that leaked it they certainly were pointing the finger at the end of it.

For all of you butt hurt over my comments, I’m not saying that the Karlssons are making shit up. I’m just saying that I want more proof before I make a conclusion.

Jeez.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'm sorry, Ottawa.

tenor.gif

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It seems like a lot of recent posts are basically saying "OMG THE KARLSSONS NEED TO COME OUT AND SPEAK RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!"

I hope many of you aren't lawyers. You'd be really bad at it if you were.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It sounds way more likely some hacker did it and said the horrible things that were said than the girlfriend of a teammate. These are off the chart inappropriate comments, she’d have to be mentally ill to actually say that stuff. Maybe she is, I’m about 5% open to the concept.

This is a pro level troll job. This is new age fake news at work. I’m at about 95% for that. The scary part is how many people WANT to believe it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Honestly, I don't even need concrete evidence for me to form an opinion or pick a side, I just need some convincing evidence. Any evidence at all would be a start.

I'm in Philly so I followed the Sixers/Colangelo story fairly closely and it was the same situation there but at least there was some smoke leading to the fire. People broke down who the burner accounts were following and what they were tweeting about and they were all directly related to Colangelo. The accounts all followed a lot of the same people. Former agent, former coworkers, Sixers writers, players/coaches of his son's basketball team. They all tweeted about Colangelo and stuck up for him whenever someone said something about towards him. One of the accounts even tweeted about his son's basketball team during games that they were clearly attending. It was easy to pick a side when all the evidence was piling up against him.

This story has none of that. There's no meat to it, at least yet. It's literally Karlsson's wife saying that Hoffman's girlfriend sent hundreds of threatening/harassing messages with nothing to back it up. I'm not saying evidence doesn't exist but we don't know about it if it does, but it hasn't stopped people from forming these oddly strong opinions about something they know nothing about. If Hoffman's girlfriend was behind this whole thing, I'll be the first person to say what an evil human being she is but I want to see something, anything, to convince me other than "why would they lie?" or the general sympathy towards a family who recently lost a child.

Last edited:

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
This is a tough situation for Hoffman. Normally you would probably be best off just agreeing to the peace bond and not having contact with this person but with the publicity surrounding this, that would be seen as an admission. Needs to spend the time and money putting it to bed and hoping to god his fiance is not a complete psychopath.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
it would be one thing if this was just something the karlssons went public with

but they went to court and the bond was granted by the court, so your post makes no sense

Again, it was not granted. The decision on that will come more around the end of July, start of August.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Has anyone looked into whether the harassment has stopped? That would be interesting to know because if the troll is someone else, why would they stop over a peace bond placed on the wrong person?

Maybe if they read the news that the police are investigating it thoroughly, that might put a halt on one's "joke trolling".

Reactions: pawn

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That's the part that gets me. As if:

a) she didn't know a woman that was on Hockey Wives

and

b) if she truly didn't know who she or her husband were, tell me she didn't google them to find out.

Instead, she acts like she's totally clueless.

That's what made me think she's guilty as well. It's a tight knit community among hockey wives and girlfriends. I'd also assume that most of them watch hockey wives as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The damage done to Ottawa's brand is disproportionate. This is what geniuses call "Fake News". It is an unsubstantiated leak that does unlimited damage.

Welcome to the current state of journalism where clicks/likes/views are more important than factual reporting and integrity.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I want to see something, anything, to convince me other than "why would they lie?" or the general sympathy towards a family who recently lost a child.
While I doubt anyone would claim it’s definitive proof... the fact that everything bar the denial points towards it being true so far... it paints a picture where it seems fairly safe to assume it will be substantiated

It wasn’t some public accusation for attention, it was a restraining order request. People have come out corroborating that the people involved were known to act in this manner, and no one has come to a similar defense of the accused. Etc, etc.

It’s a smoking gun with no signs of fowl play so far. It’s not unreasonable to retract the benefit of the doubt on Hoffman’s GF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad