Mike Hoffman's Girlfriend allegedly behind harassment against the Karlssons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
the record in question is that peace bond. of course its public now... thats why we are having this media outrage... in a perfect world only authorities should have access to it. it means that whatever deformation happens because of it the karlssons are not responsible for it (except the media obtained the bond through them.... its still unclear how they did it).
No you dont seem to understand - the only leak was for a media outlet to check PUBLIC RECORDS to see that the Karlssons filed for a peace bond . Thats it.

It still is 100% defamation if it is not true. I cant just go filing lawsuits, restraining orders, etc.. and not expect a counter claim and lawsuit to follow. The only way the Karlssons could have avoided defamation (if it turns out untrue) would be if they filed privately, which is possible. They did not and so now they are eligible to be sued for defamation because they filed public records accusing another party and clearly there wasnt enouh evidence because the case turned out to be untrue that it was Hoffman's fiancee (again, hypothetical here)

Last edited:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I mean, they kinda have to deny. That doesn't mean they did anything, though. Maybe someone jacked Hoff/Caryk's IP and troll-spammed Melinda. I sure hope Erik and Melinda have a mound of evidence against them, but if this is inconclusive, I'd sue Mel for all she's worth with a massive defamation suit.
Anyways, Bruce Garrioch pretty much works for the Senators and he said Hoff would be moved pretty soon, so at least they won't be in the same orbit if that happens.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
It still is 100% defamation if it is not true. I cant just go filing lawsuits, restraining orders, etc.. and not expect a counter claim and lawsuit to follow.

But there were verbal threats, which it seems others heard. I think you're just focused on the online threats.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
How do you know that there so little proof?
And how do u know there is any proof? The fact that they made it go public means they should at least provide some proof. Im not backing either side im just saying that if Karlssons cannot provide any proof that is huge defamation against Hoffman.

Im not saying the Hoffmans are innocent or guilty.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And how do u know there is any proof? The fact that they made it go public means they should at least provide some proof. Im not backing either side im just saying that if Karlssons cannot provide any proof that is huge defamation against Hoffman.

Im not saying the Hoffmans are innocent or guilty.

Do we know they haven’t? Or are we just assuming because they haven’t said anything publicly?

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Do we know they haven’t? Or are we just assuming because they haven’t said anything publicly?

I think an assumption can be made that they don't because a) they filed for a peace bond not a restraining order and b) if they had proof wouldn't they press charges? The karlsson's have made it clear that the comments have had a devastating effect on them. Why would they let the culprit get away?

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I think an assumption can be made that they don't because a) they filed for a peace bond not a restraining order and b) if they had proof wouldn't they press charges? The karlsson's have made it clear that the comments have had a devastating effect on them. Why would they let the culprit get away?
Why would they file for a restraining order when according to this link a restraining order only applies in family situations where spouses or partners have separated?

Restraining Orders, Protection Orders and Peace Bonds - Legal Line

Reactions: Slimmy

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Sorry my bad. Scratch that part. lol.

Basically I meant they would have pressed charges if they had hard evidence.
Is filing for a restraining order not the same in terms of signalling the strength of evidence?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Is filing for a restraining order not the same in terms of signalling the strength of evidence?

potentially sending someone to jail vs letting them lead the same life minus contacting one person.

Yeah no, those are very different consequences hence very different strengths of evidence.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Why is Taylor Winnik sending an email to Hoffman’s gf about this right when the harrassment started in March? Daniel never played with erik, shes from california so I assume Daniel met her when he was on the ducks. She was on hockey wives but Melinda Karlsson wasn’t. How did she get close enough to the karlssons to be told of the harrassment. That just sounds off to me.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
No you dont seem to understand - the only leak was for a media outlet to check PUBLIC RECORDS to see that the Karlssons filed for a peace bond . Thats it.

It still is 100% defamation if it is not true. I cant just go filing lawsuits, restraining orders, etc.. and not expect a counter claim and lawsuit to follow. The only way the Karlssons could have avoided defamation (if it turns out untrue) would be if they filed privately, which is possible. They did not and so now they are eligible to be sued for defamation because they filed public records accusing another party and clearly there wasnt enouh evidence because the case turned out to be untrue that it was Hoffman's fiancee (again, hypothetical here)

Why wouldn't absolute privilege apply?

They made claims to a judicial body and should be covered by the defence of absolute privilege.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Is this being investigated by a third party or anything?

The Sixers hired a big time law firm to investigate the Colangelo stores when 538 broke it.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Imagine having some acquaintance accusing you of secretly being every internet troll they've interacted with and filing a restraining order without any proof whatsoever and refusing to discuss it with you.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How would the Karlssons know for sure the accounts were Caryk's? Have they ever heard of internet trolls? Go on any YT video that deals with sensitive info that's comparable to the death of their child and you will find a ton of comments that range from (sometimes hilarious) dark humor-ish, too downright hateful.

Did Caryk reveal some personal info with the pill popping, and is that how the Karlssons identified her? If so, then what has come out so far could be just the tip of the iceberg. I mean why would she know such personal info? They must've been close before something happened.

This is all speculation of course, but i see it either as a bs accusation, or this goes much deeper than we think.

Do you really think the Karalsson's just went to the court with a handful of anonymous tweets? They likely went to a very good lawyer who then put them in contact with some experts who helped them acquire additional evidence. They also have likely been following the advise from their attorney for each measure that they have taken.

It doesn't mean they are right and Caryk's guilty but I would be pretty surprised if they haven't done a significant amount of due diligence and hadn't been briefed by a number of experts prior to going through with their claim.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Imagine having some acquaintance accusing you of secretly being every internet troll they've interacted with and filing a restraining order without any proof whatsoever and refusing to discuss it with you.

it would be one thing if this was just something the karlssons went public with

but they went to court and the bond was granted by the court, so your post makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad