Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I'm really looking forward to see him work with a coach who believes in him and knows what kind of player he is. I wonder if they'll go with Hoffman-Turris-Stone like the start of last year or with Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan...anyway to repeat, man training camp can't come soon enough.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
To be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the reactions in here. Wasn't this team too cheap to retain talent? Wasn't our owner uncommitted to providing money and resources for the management to build a competitive team? Aren't we just serial salary cap basement dwellers? Isn't Hoffman going to just sign a 1 year deal and then **** off next year because he realized this team won't spend money on players? Isn't Karlsson leaving next after that because he keeps seeing all the good players leave year after year? Isn't Bryan Murray still pulling the strings and enforcing Melnyk's will on this team? Aren't all of our contract negotiations shambolic displays of ineptitude and cheapness?

So what gives? How did we arrive at what many consider to be a market value contract for Hoffman on a 4 year term?

Oh. That's right! ALL THE OTHER STUFF IS JUST A ****ING PERCEPTION PART OF THIS FANBASE AND CASUAL OBSERVERS CAN'T SEEM TO LET GO OF.

This has to be one of the most vocally negative fanbases in the league. You'd think this team was spending 20% of what everyone else is spending on talent while siphoning away young, star players to the lowest bidder. What a disgrace some of you are to the fandom of this team. Your hypocrisy and constant cries of wolf are truly bleeding out the patience of those who are standing strong behind this team when they need us the most. For the sake of the rest of us, I hope this signing (like many other key moments in recent history) is a sign that your "gut feelings" don't actually supercede real and tangible facts when it comes to how this team operates and whether or not they're serious about wanting to compete and win.

Chill out man. Everyone here is happy with this move.

You'll note that the overwhelming majority of fans posting in the Hoffman thread weren't too stressed.

No need to get up on a soapbox of righteousness to rag on a few negative nancies and the "casual observers" (who don't exist on a hockey forum in late July to read your post). They will always exist anyway. If you want to say I told you so, hit up the main board :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Please stop with the BS We have no idea what other roster moves are going to be made to potentially cut salary.

And for the people saying EM was cheap , that is 100% correct. Just look back at our payroll over the years.

Every time someone is signed we always have comments like this that make no sense.

You don't judge an owner on one signing but instead the overall money he's spent, which has been awful up to this year.

It hasn't been that bad. We've been over 60 million. Yeah we're not spending to the cap - but a GM should be able to build a team with promise.

If 2-3 years from now we have made the playoffs 2-3 years straight and the owner is unwilling to go right to the cap for a cup push - I'll be critical of Melnyk.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Please stop with the BS We have no idea what other roster moves are going to be made to potentially cut salary.

And for the people saying EM was cheap , that is 100% correct. Just look back at our payroll over the years.

Every time someone is signed we always have comments like this that make no sense.

You don't judge an owner on one signing but instead the overall money he's spent, which hasn't been god enough up to this year ( should we sign Ceci).

Rather than hide behind the boogeyman of a move that may (or may not!) be made, take a moment to appreciate this signing for what it is: a reasonable deal for both sides where Melnyk has been willing to spend the money to retain talent.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

You don't judge an owner on one signing but instead the overall money he's spent, which hasn't been god enough up to this year ( should we sign Ceci).

Was it necessary for it to be "good enough"? You're really showing your true colors here.

Why spend to the cap when you have a rebuilding team? I mean, unless you're an idiot there's no point.

We're slowly spending more and more, and this season will be the most the Sens spend in years. Coincidence? Or does it just so happen to match the best roster we ice in years as well? Use your brain.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I just watched this and have two comments:

1. Aside from the obvious point that Hoff is a great player, wow is Stone ever good.
2. I really miss hockey.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm sure that his deployment under Boucher was a major factor in negotiating with Hoffman. I'm very excited to see this PP formation. Quick-strike, no more sending the puck around the perimiter, and hopefully an end to those annoying "shooooooot" calls from the stands.

Oct 10, 2010
Rather than hide behind the boogeyman of a move that may (or may not!) be made, take a moment to appreciate this signing for what it is: a reasonable deal for both sides where Melnyk has been willing to spend the money to retain talent.

It's a good deal, that i said.

We don't judge an owner for one signing though, that's silly.

Overall # is all that matters, that's all i was saying.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Was it necessary for it to be "good enough"? You're really showing your true colors here.

Why spend to the cap when you have a rebuilding team? I mean, unless you're an idiot there's no point.

We're slowly spending more and more, and this season will be the most the Sens spend in years. Coincidence? Or does it just so happen to match the best roster we ice in years as well? Use your brain.

Were what $10 million below the cap not sure how we can be called cheap.

Oct 10, 2010

You're out to lunch. This team could have spent way earlier.

If we weren't ready to spend after our playoff success couple years back, why now?

What's the difference? Perhaps a realisation you need to spend smartly to try and give your team the best shot?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
he is getting traded after the 3.8 year.

Congratz Hoff, you finally got paid even though it should have been a lot lot sooner since you were burried in the minors and even when you did get your shot to prove it the sens still didn't pay you.

Did Hoffman steal your parking spot at IKEA or something? Geez.

Very good deal. I hope he gets some more PP time this year (i.e. » 0).

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'm sure that his deployment under Boucher was a major factor in negotiating with Hoffman. I'm very excited to see this PP formation. Quick-strike, no more sending the puck around the perimiter, and hopefully an end to those annoying "shooooooot" calls from the stands.

I like what I'm hearing. There was an obvious dip in the PP once Hoffman was taken off the first unit last year. Not sure what DC was thinking really.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
You're out to lunch. This team could have spent way earlier.

If we weren't ready to spend after our playoff success couple years back, why now?

What's the difference? Perhaps a realisation you need to spend smartly to try and give your team the best shot?

Maybe because we were counting on guys like Cowen and Wiercioch to produce in the top 4? Once the team figured out they wouldn't cut it they got a 7M defenseman instead. I have trouble seeing if you're just being selective with your attention or you have an agenda or both.

What about trying guys like Chiasson and Zibanejad in the top six hoping they would pan out. Kinda worked with Zbad, but now we have Hoffman 5.2M, Ryan 7.5M, MacArthur 4.65M... Stone, Turris due for raises eventually and who will probably get them... How can you say we're not spending?

Did you want to spend 3M on some third liner this summer? That would have made you happy? Money has worth, you know. You don't just swing it around like it's nothing.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
When you're ranked bottom of the league in payroll, that's being cheap.

How is this even debatable ?

Look at some of the teams at the top most of the money is not being spent on great players a huge part of it being spent over spent I should say on fringe players.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
But but but...the Sens are cheap and could never afford to pay Hoffman! Eugene never opens up the wallet!

This forum is way too pessimistic at times. I'm very glad Hoffman was signed and I never doubted for a second that he would be.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What does that mean? Just in recent years...

Hoffman = 4 Years - $20,750,000
Methot = 4 Years - $19,600,000
Ryan = 7 Years - $50,750,000
MacArthur = 5 Years - $23,250,000
Anderson = 3 Years - $12,600,000

And taking on Phaneuf's contract who is still owed 33 M$ for the next 5 years

THIS IS NOT BASED ON 1 CONTRACT

Almost 160 M$ for 6 contracts is not enough proof that this team is ready to spend? And that doesn't even include our best player and 2nd best player who are going to get paid. We could argue as well that Turris is our 3rd best player

Of course the Sens are not a rich team, it's a small market and that would be extremely financially dangerous to spend to the cap every year and burry contracts in the AHL like rich teams can afford. It's totally understandable if they play with the budget in decline and growth phases. What they need to do is to spend in the maturity phase and it looks like that's what they are about to do.

It's up to anyone to accept reality or not.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad