Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'm pretty damn hyped up now. Can't wait for the season to start, I still have a 96' black blank jersey to put #'s and name on.. still deciding on Stone or Hoffman.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty damn hyped up now. Can't wait for the season to start, I still have a 96' black blank jersey to put #'s and name on.. still deciding on Stone or Hoffman.

Wait, you're going to put a current player on an old 1996-era jersey?

Dude! some of those older jerseys are getting rarer, and some people collect them... if you're determined to get a Stone or Hoffman jersey, I'm sure someone on these boards would have a blank current era Sens jersey they'd be willing to trade you for your old one.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Called it...

07-24-2016, 11:56 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

I'll guess 4 years at 5.25 M.

Next prediction: Sens make conference finals

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Very, very happy for Hoffman and for the Senators proving once again they keep talent. It would have been very bad if they went to arbitration and lowballed him for a 1 year deal yet again, he was a goner for sure. Really good money and good term it is a nice contract for both the player and the team.

Man I can't wait for the season

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
No NTC or NMC? Cool.

That's a nice deal. Not that we'd want to trade him or anything, but if the situation comes up and you have an opportunity in 2-3 years to make a deal that helps the club, you like having that flexibility.

Not having any movement clauses is just the cherry on top of an already fair deal for both sides.

Spoke too soon:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Quite pleased with the deal. Hoffman bent a bit and so did Dorion I'd assume with the NTC. I'm looking at Dorion with the understanding that he is really looking at building a contender. This was a good deal to make.

Ceci will come soon, and I would not be surprised if there was another D brought in by trade using someone like Puempel as the returning piece. Perron will be along soon and Pyatt can fill that spot until he's ready. Paul and Dzingel can also draw in. LW is a position of quality depth right now, including Hoffan, MacArthur and Smith to these guys...

In the meantime, like this deal.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
To be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the reactions in here. Wasn't this team too cheap to retain talent? Wasn't our owner uncommitted to providing money and resources for the management to build a competitive team? Aren't we just serial salary cap basement dwellers? Isn't Hoffman going to just sign a 1 year deal and then **** off next year because he realized this team won't spend money on players? Isn't Karlsson leaving next after that because he keeps seeing all the good players leave year after year? Isn't Bryan Murray still pulling the strings and enforcing Melnyk's will on this team? Aren't all of our contract negotiations shambolic displays of ineptitude and cheapness?

So what gives? How did we arrive at what many consider to be a market value contract for Hoffman on a 4 year term?

Oh. That's right! ALL THE OTHER STUFF IS JUST A ****ING PERCEPTION PART OF THIS FANBASE AND CASUAL OBSERVERS CAN'T SEEM TO LET GO OF.

This has to be one of the most vocally negative fanbases in the league. You'd think this team was spending 20% of what everyone else is spending on talent while siphoning away young, star players to the lowest bidder. What a disgrace some of you are to the fandom of this team. Your hypocrisy and constant cries of wolf are truly bleeding out the patience of those who are standing strong behind this team when they need us the most. For the sake of the rest of us, I hope this signing (like many other key moments in recent history) is a sign that your "gut feelings" don't actually supercede real and tangible facts when it comes to how this team operates and whether or not they're serious about wanting to compete and win.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Called it...

07-24-2016, 11:56 AM
We Want the Cup 2010

I'll guess 4 years at 5.25 M.

Next prediction: Sens make conference finals

Sorry, no dice. Here on HF Sens, we use the Price is Right rules, closest without going over. You exceeded the actual contract by $62 500.00 and are thereby disqualified.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Editors note: Only the Bob Barker iteration of the aforementioned show is considered "true to form" and any modifications made to the rules during the Drew Carey era is considered inconsequential. Any mention of Drew Carey aside from this editor's note shall be immediately reported to the moderators for review and possible infractions. The beliefs of this editor do not represent those of HF or HF Sens and cannot be considered as the setting of any precedents.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Excellent deal, Hoffman has the type of game breaking speed and skill that teams need to account for every shift and we need a guy who can put the puck in the net like he can. We didn't overpay and have him locked in for several years. I'm happy with this.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Fantastic contract. Would have been nice to get another year on it for the Sens, but the price is right.

Melnyk continues to show the money when it comes to retaining core players, despite the overwhelming negativity on this board.

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
To be honest, I'm a little puzzled by the reactions in here. Wasn't this team too cheap to retain talent? Wasn't our owner uncommitted to providing money and resources for the management to build a competitive team? Aren't we just serial salary cap basement dwellers? Isn't Hoffman going to just sign a 1 year deal and then **** off next year because he realized this team won't spend money on players? Isn't Karlsson leaving next after that because he keeps seeing all the good players leave year after year? Isn't Bryan Murray still pulling the strings and enforcing Melnyk's will on this team? Aren't all of our contract negotiations shambolic displays of ineptitude and cheapness?

So what gives? How did we arrive at what many consider to be a market value contract for Hoffman on a 4 year term?

Oh. That's right! ALL THE OTHER STUFF IS JUST A ****ING PERCEPTION PART OF THIS FANBASE AND CASUAL OBSERVERS CAN'T SEEM TO LET GO OF.

This has to be one of the most vocally negative fanbases in the league. You'd think this team was spending 20% of what everyone else is spending on talent while siphoning away young, star players to the lowest bidder. What a disgrace some of you are to the fandom of this team. Your hypocrisy and constant cries of wolf are truly bleeding out the patience of those who are standing strong behind this team when they need us the most. For the sake of the rest of us, I hope this signing (like many other key moments in recent history) is a sign that your "gut feelings" don't actually supercede real and tangible facts when it comes to how this team operates and whether or not they're serious about wanting to compete and win.

Okay but tell us how you REALLY feel.

;)

Oct 10, 2010
So after we sign Ceci we will have what, a whopping $4 million or so in cap space? But yes, please tell me again how our owner is cheap and won't spend in order to win. <Insert eye roll here>

Please stop with the BS We have no idea what other roster moves are going to be made to potentially cut salary.

And for the people saying EM was cheap , that is 100% correct. Just look back at our payroll over the years.

Every time someone is signed we always have comments like this that make no sense.

You don't judge an owner on one signing but instead the overall money he's spent, which hasn't been god enough up to this year ( should we sign Ceci).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad