Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I just realized.. being on parental leave I'm going to be able to watch like.. all the Sens game I want.. for the first time since University.

Awesome!

I'm about to do the same. Leave starts next tuesday, off until February.

What about you?

Pretty excited to start brainwashing the baby to be a Sens fan.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Never understand these posts. What is there to be mad about? Do you have two settings, mad and less mad? Because this is really the reasonable best case scenario for the team.
Not that hard to understand, Murray in all his wisdom, has been ******* him around for a few seasons now! Here you go, I changed :rant: to :yo:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I'm sure that his deployment under Boucher was a major factor in negotiating with Hoffman. I'm very excited to see this PP formation. Quick-strike, no more sending the puck around the perimiter, and hopefully an end to those annoying "shooooooot" calls from the stands.

I hope not on the point. He sucks there. Not much goals or points on the PP for Hoffman playing defenseman.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
I just realized.. being on parental leave I'm going to be able to watch like.. all the Sens game I want.. for the first time since University.

Awesome!

That must have been hard having a baby during University. Hopefully its a bit easier this time around

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Not that hard to understand, Murray in all his wisdom, has been ******* him around for a few seasons now! Here you go, I changed :rant: to :yo:

Man, I can't believe that IDIOT Muckler didn't play Spezza more. Or that IDIOT Rick Dudley kept Chris Luongo on the bench. Or that IDIOT Pierre Gauthier didn't play Pat Falloon.

Oh, wait, what? Player personnel decisions are up to the coach, not the GM? Wild.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I'm about to do the same. Leave starts next tuesday, off until February.

What about you?

Pretty excited to start brainwashing the baby to be a Sens fan.

I go back in January. Off for T-giving and babys first Xmas.

Gonna be pretty awesome. I've had to work probably 6 of 9 Christmases since I started.

It was weird at first being off, but I'm loving it now. Life is simple. Life is good.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Chill out man. Everyone here is happy with this move.

You'll note that the overwhelming majority of fans posting in the Hoffman thread weren't too stressed.

No need to get up on a soapbox of righteousness to rag on a few negative nancies and the "casual observers" (who don't exist on a hockey forum in late July to read your post). They will always exist anyway. If you want to say I told you so, hit up the main board :sarcasm:

Well said uncle vodka cigarello man.

Oct 10, 2010
Maybe because we were counting on guys like Cowen and Wiercioch to produce in the top 4? Once the team figured out they wouldn't cut it they got a 7M defenseman instead. I have trouble seeing if you're just being selective with your attention or you have an agenda or both.

What about trying guys like Chiasson and Zibanejad in the top six hoping they would pan out. Kinda worked with Zbad, but now we have Hoffman 5.2M, Ryan 7.5M, MacArthur 4.65M... Stone, Turris due for raises eventually and who will probably get them... How can you say we're not spending?

Did you want to spend 3M on some third liner this summer? That would have made you happy? Money has worth, you know. You don't just swing it around like it's nothing.
I'm just seeing excuses we were coming off one of the best year we have had for awhile and we took at step back because we didn't want to spend after that amazing run.

The trade for DP was almost the same money and all the other signings are good and all, but you don't measure an owner by a select few contracts,.... Overall number is all that matters.

Maybe EM is finally learning that spending near the cap with a good management team is actually worth it?
I mean, the past 7 years of being on a bottom of the league budget hasn't accomplished much with our superstar player being here after all.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
So after we sign Ceci we will have what, a whopping $4 million or so in cap space? But yes, please tell me again how our owner is cheap and won't spend in order to win. <Insert eye roll here>

I have plenty of criticisms of Eugene, mostly around the way he bungee jumps in and out of hockey operations and pops off to the media at inopportune times with badly mixed messaging. I'll say this, though - every time he has needed to step up to sign a core player to an extension or bring in an expensive contract via trade, he has approved it. Some here have tried to portray him as the Cleveland Indians owner in "Major League" but that narrative is both lazy and inaccurate. He clearly wants to win, regardless of whether you think he is going about it the right way or not...

The issue is that he hasn't really added any significant pieces via UFA or trade, but yes he has re-signed home-grown players (via discount mostly). The big contract for me will be Karlsson. Anything less than $10,000,000 a year with a full NMC and he should just rename the arena the Karlssontorioum. He has cheaped out hugely on the management/coaching aspect, so it's stilll a fair concern.

THAT SAID, this is a very good deal and I'm satisfied with it. Now just dump Neil/Borowiecki/Smith and we're good to go!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm sure that his deployment under Boucher was a major factor in negotiating with Hoffman. I'm very excited to see this PP formation. Quick-strike, no more sending the puck around the perimiter, and hopefully an end to those annoying "shooooooot" calls from the stands.

Anybody got a link to the conference call?

I've been re-loading TSN1200's webpage but to no avail.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I hope not on the point. He sucks there. Not much goals or points on the PP for Hoffman playing defenseman.

Seriously? I watched Hoffman's goals this morning because I was pumped up and he has a lot of them from the point with quick slappers. Our PP started sucking around when they took him off...

I'd try him one T both he and Karl on the point.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
tsn1200 is not working for me. I am trying to watch the hoffman video on that site and i keep getting a message that stated an error has occurred, please try again later.

It seems like the other videos are working, but the two i wanted to watch are not. Such garbage.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anybody got a link to the conference call?

I've been re-loading TSN1200's webpage but to no avail.

It's up now,
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/dorion-happy-to-have-hoffman-locked-up-1.533835

-Took a lot of time
-Good deal for both
-1st year and "arb" number, 2-4 UFA numbers.
-Wanted to avoid Arb
-came to understanding early this morning
-Anxious to see how he does with Boucher. Good relationship with each other
-re Guy seeing Hoff in a more positive light: Will be lots of communication, Hoff knows how to handle adversity, Guy knows what buttons to push with him.
-On Brassard: Coach will decide who he plays with. Left handed and more playmaker adds options
-Want Hoffman to be better for them, playing for a contract he might have cheated to score goals, and won't have to do that now. Very confident player, Hoffman thinks he can be dominant.
- On Ceci: Talked 1 year to 6 year deals, don't agree on a lot but see progress. Want fair deal for both.
-Previous long term contracts that backfired don't scare them away from making a long term offer.
-If they feel giving long term deal is best, they will, but want to see how good players are when the team is good (not bad) and then they'lll give a long term deal
- MacArthur: Cleared to play last few games. 100% now. Anxious to play. Took hits in practice last year with no problems. Really confident he'll be fine.
-Tired of hearing "well contend in a couple years", wants to win now. Kelly came here to help us win. Brassard looks at the roster and says this is a good hockey team.
-Likes out top 6.
-Improved Character, leadership PK
-Biggest question mark in his opinion: Special teams must be better. Wants to see the coaches improve it. Want's to see us cut scoring chances against. Mentions MacArthur. Interested to see how the coaches will juggle lines, says D pairings is pretty much set unless Seilhof, Harpur, Claesson, Kostka or Englund grab a spot in camp
-Guy talked a lot about how he'd use Hoff on the PP in the interviews. expects Hoffs numbers to rise because of how guy will use him (presumably different than how Cameron did).

Last edited:

Smitty26

Oct 24, 2011
Man, I can't believe that IDIOT Muckler didn't play Spezza more. Or that IDIOT Rick Dudley kept Chris Luongo on the bench. Or that IDIOT Pierre Gauthier didn't play Pat Falloon.

Oh, wait, what? Player personnel decisions are up to the coach, not the GM? Wild.

Im pretty sure he means the fact that Hoffman has been on a one year deal every year making as little as possible when hes deserved more. However I could be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad