Player Discussion Mike Hoffman - (The $5.2 Million Dollar Man)

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
nice to see the Brassard savings pay for Hoffmans raise in UFA years

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So after we sign Ceci we will have what, a whopping $4 million or so in cap space? But yes, please tell me again how our owner is cheap and won't spend in order to win. <Insert eye roll here>

I have plenty of criticisms of Eugene, mostly around the way he bungee jumps in and out of hockey operations and pops off to the media at inopportune times with badly mixed messaging. I'll say this, though - every time he has needed to step up to sign a core player to an extension or bring in an expensive contract via trade, he has approved it. Some here have tried to portray him as the Cleveland Indians owner in "Major League" but that narrative is both lazy and inaccurate. He clearly wants to win, regardless of whether you think he is going about it the right way or not...

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I am so freaking happy right now....after Ceci, can we get Dorion signed long term??

Guy is outstanding. :handclap:

I'm pretty happy with what he's done so far, but we haven't even played a game with him as GM. Let's not Colin Greening him just yet.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
For the optimists of this board: Remember when Hoffman was on track to have a 50 goal season playing with a healthy Turris? By the way, Turris was projecting to have a 30-40 goal season with 70+ points before the dreaded gumby incident.

For the pessimists of this board: I'm looking forward to hating this contract next Spring.

;)

Last edited:

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
So after we sign Ceci we will have what, a whopping $4 million or so in cap space? But yes, please tell me again how our owner is cheap and won't spend in order to win. <Insert eye roll here>

I have plenty of criticisms of Eugene, mostly around the way he bungee jumps in and out of hockey operations and pops off to the media at inopportune times with badly mixed messaging. I'll say this, though - every time he has needed to step up to sign a core player to an extension or bring in an expensive contract via trade, he has approved it. Some here have tried to portray him as the Cleveland Indians owner in "Major League" but that narrative is both lazy and inaccurate. He clearly wants to win, regardless of whether you think he is going about it the right way or not...

So what you're saying is....we're trading for Willie Mays Hayes at the trade deadline? His speed could definitely complement Stone well.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Cannot believe this guy is gonna get 5 mill. Now he needs to shut up, put up 50 goals, and earn this deal.

sensR4real

Apr 19, 2006
Ottawa
Cannot believe this guy is gonna get 5 mill. Now he needs to shut up, put up 50 goals, and earn this deal.

Not sure what you mean. I'm not sure Hoff is the vocal kinda guy, he pretty much keeps his mouth shut all season. Also, Not sure you need to get on him for his production, he has been seriously underpaid for 2 seasons now. It's a real good number. I am hoping your post reeks of sarcasm...:popcorn:

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007

In today's NHL, a 50 goal scorer is worth 10 million a year. Not really sure what you're talking about. As long as Hoffman puts up 25 + goals, he will be earning his 5 million.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

Should have about $5 mil left in cap space. Will need all of that to sign Pageau, Dzingel, and Puempel next year (after D & P both have breakout 20 goal rookie seasons, of course).

Would be great, though, if we can use some of that 5 million to sign a vet depth D-man to a 1 or 2 year contract, but perhaps that's where the budget factors in.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

You know, I thought that too initially, but after some rumination, I decided that I'd be satisfied with 40 goals and a Selke.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
So what you're saying is....we're trading for Willie Mays Hayes at the trade deadline? His speed could definitely complement Stone well.

I don't think the Sens players will respond well to being motivated by taking off a piece of a clothing off a cardboard cutout of Eugene with every win...

Maybe make it for every loss.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Yeah, my issue with Melnyk is the way he interacts with media not how he's cutting checks. We're a small market team and it's fair to expect us to not spend like the Rangers or Leafs. Such is life for any team in a similar position. It'd be nice to spend to the cap but I'm more than happy to be able to spend as a middle of the pack budget team. Leicester City and Kansas City won big titles in the last year and weren't big spenders. It can be done.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Great term, great salary structure and great cap hit. Well done everyone involved.

Jorec

Mar 4, 2011
I don't think the Sens players will respond well to being motivated by taking off a piece of a clothing off a cardboard cutout of Eugene with every win...

Maybe make it for every loss.

"Anderson, get out of the way of that puck, we only have his cod piece left"

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
I'm not sure how I feel about hoffman. Sometimes he looks fantastic and sometimes he looks utterly defeated/frustrated.

guess that's why he makes 5M and not 7...

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Yeah I am not sure what we are projecting to sign Ceci at but it looks like we now have 8.8 mill of cap space left roughly with him left to go. The salary looks even to the cap space as well.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So after we sign Ceci we will have what, a whopping $4 million or so in cap space?

Depends on what Ceci is asking for, I guess. We currently have $8.9mil in cap space, not counting Ceci, but:

a) that $8.9mil of open space is also counting 14 forwards, so after we send 1 or 2 down to the AHL, we'll have more cap room,
b) that $8.9mil of open cap space also currently counts Michael Kostka, and I doubt we're carrying him at the NHL level this year, so we'll have another $800k in cap space open once we send him down.

Once Nick Paul (who I assume will play in the AHL this year because he's waiver-proof) and Kostka head to Bingo, we'll have about $10.3-10.5mil in open cap space, even with a 13th forward on the roster.

$10.5mil - Ceci = probably still $6.5mil-7mil or so in cap space we're not using.

Not trying to push the budget thing here, just saw the "$4mil" figure being thrown out and wanted to present a clearer, more accurate reflection of the numbers.

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
Good on Hoffer: Gets one year at a lower rate but 3 years at a pretty decent rate during his UFA. It's a cap friendly contract, too, which allows us to work Ceci and as well as have some money left for later on.

I really don't hate the term or the amount on this. It's a friendly contract for sure. I was always thinking 5x5 for him and this is close enough.

Kudos to Dorion on this one; did a good one. We may regret it if he has a down year during those four years but hey, maybe if he does it in our first year, we don't protect him and he goes off to Vegas? >.> (I'm not expecting a down year, just making a joke.)

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah I am not sure what we are projecting to sign Ceci at but it looks like we now have 8.8 mill of cap space left roughly with him left to go. The salary looks even to the cap space as well.

Just my 2 cents, but I expect him to come in between 3 and 4, so I'm expecting about 5 million in space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad