Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Just thought of this considering the trade that nearly went through with LEAFS for Phanuef.

Green @ 6 million for 3 years is a hell alot better than than Phanuef till 2021 @ 7 million per. And to top that off, Wings kept Pulkennen, Smith and Svechnikov (possibly Mantha, too)

Wow!

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I agree, though this has been a rather unique Free Agency period. Players are taking pay cuts and shorter termed contracts, probably because of the salary cap not rising very much.

There are some guys still out there (Franson) that probably are asking for big bucks and ridiculous term, figuring hey, it's worked in every other ufa season.

Smarter players seem to sense there are fewer dollars in play this summer and they're grabbing what they can before they're gone. A guy like Green could get another pretty nice deal in three years, especially if the cap loosens up and he plays well. And he knows he will get all the power play time he can ask for in Detroit. He's set himself up well. Either he or his agent thought this through.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Not to burst your high, but that's been the case his whole career.

3858380861_2493747cec_z.jpg

Shhh he didn't exist to me until he became a Wing. :sarcasm:

BamaWing

May 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Mike green who? Mike green mike green who? Mike green mike green who? Mike green mike green who? Mike green mike green who? Mike green

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
No Franson. With Green there is no need for another defensive liability. Green will cover our need for offense from defense. Cheers!

If Toronto take some of the cap hit Phanuef have he'd be a better choice.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Holland deserves credit on this one. He has done what many here said he would never do.

From what I gathered Green pretty much chose to be a red wing. All holland had to do was not screw it up. Frankly I am surprised that he did not low ball him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We should finally get our 3 LH-RH pairings :)

Kronwall-Franson
Dekeyser-Green
Smith-Marchenko

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It always amazes me how far out of their way people will go to avoid giving Holland credit for anything.

Hunting Bow*

It always amazes me how far out of their way people will go to avoid giving Holland credit for anything.

I very happy with what he has done this off season. But it was way overdue. I still think there's room another right priced UFA.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I very happy with what he has done this off season. But it was way overdue. I still think there's room another right priced UFA.

Unless there is someone who wants to play in Detroit for free, then I don't see how we could sign anyone else.

I'm not sure exactly how much cap room we have left but I think its between 6 and 8 million with a few RFA's to re-sign including Nyquist.

Maybe another player could be added via trade, but there's no room for more FA's

Hunting Bow*

Unless there is someone who wants to play in Detroit for free, then I don't see how we could sign anyone else.

I'm not sure exactly how much cap room we have left but I think its between 6 and 8 million with a few RFA's to re-sign including Nyquist.

Maybe another player could be added via trade, but there's no room for more FA's

They (I believe) have 4.4 left in space plus Franzen. But I see your point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

If you trade Quincey for a pick or picks (I think you could), and waive Kindl you free up enough to sign another UFA I am pretty sure.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If you trade Quincey for a pick or picks (I think you could), and waive Kindl you free up enough to sign another UFA I am pretty sure.

What would be the point? The only UFA available that you might plug into the hole you'd create by those moves would be Franson and he's a marginal upgrade over Quincey but seems to be seeking as much money as Quincey and Kindl combined.

Its been a good off-season already. People complaining that we didn't do more are the type of fans that will never be satisfied.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What would be the point? The only UFA available that you might plug into the hole you'd create by those moves would be Franson and he's a marginal upgrade over Quincey but seems to be seeking as much money as Quincey and Kindl combined.

Its been a good off-season already. People complaining that we didn't do more are the type of fans that will never be satisfied.

The point would be Quincey is redundant and players like Franson and Ehrhoff are better. At least in my opinion.

I'm not complaining by any means, I think it would be a possibility though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Would rather use that space to lock up Nyquist long-term and DeKeyser long-term. You could throw Sheahan in as priority three there. We have to do Nyquist, but I would like to lock up DK and Sheahan if it is reasonable right now, they have the potential to put a lot of money on their contracts playing out this year.

Getting rid of Quincey just needs to happen, what we do with that space remains to be seen until they do it. Ehrhoff for a year sure, I don't like Franson and I doubt he takes a year at low salary.

Blash likes Kindl and Smith, curious to see what he does with them. Also the kids need to come up and play at some point. If we can dump Quincey for a second or third I will be very happy. I think we move Quincey and lock in our own players and collect an asset while doing it.

Last edited:

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I think I said it in this thread earlier, and I called it earlier. He should wear 25, that's what he wore in Hershey before he made the caps

Actual Thought*

From what I gathered Green pretty much chose to be a red wing. All holland had to do was not screw it up. Frankly I am surprised that he did not low ball him.

He did low ball him. The guy could have signed and mega deal for 5-8 years but he chose to come here. Holland did a masterful job and deserves a lot more credit than you are giving him. He is the architect of the Redwings that Green wanted to play for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad