Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
So basically the best I can get here is "We could go on a run" "Our chances are as good as any team's" i.e. the same stuff I've heard ahead of the last 5 seasons.

Does it make the Wings a better team? Perhaps. Is it good to be a better team if you don't have the pieces to win the Cup anyway? I doubt it.

The timing on this is all off. Ca. 2009/2010 we never got the top six forward we needed to go back to the top. Then when first Rafalski and then Lidstrom left we treated the likes of Kyle Quincey as a solution on D. Now years later with our elite players being far closer to retirement than a return to peak form, you go and sign an expensive free agent D-man. If there is a *plan* to win the Cup, Holland is doing a great job obscuring it because it sure feels like he's either very confused about the year we're in or just throwing crumbs to a fan base that *is* very confused about the year we're in.

Man I don't get people.

If Holland doesn't improve the team: "He's sitting on his hands again, he never even tries to improve the team."

If Holland signs Green to fill the team's biggest weakness, an offensive RHD the Wings have needed: "Why did Kenny do this move, what's the point? What an idiot."

If it would be more appealing to you for the Red Wings get high draft pick after high draft pick and stink seasons on end just become a Hurricanes fan or something.

No matter what he does, outside of trading Kyle Quincey in a package for Shea Weber, you guys will criticize his moves. He filled the team's biggest need at a reasonable term/cost and made them better and for some reason that move was dumb. You make no sense.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
So basically the best I can get here is "We could go on a run" "Our chances are as good as any team's" i.e. the same stuff I've heard ahead of the last 5 seasons.

Does it make the Wings a better team? Perhaps. Is it good to be a better team if you don't have the pieces to win the Cup anyway? I doubt it.

The timing on this is all off. Ca. 2009/2010 we never got the top six forward we needed to go back to the top. Then when first Rafalski and then Lidstrom left we treated the likes of Kyle Quincey as a solution on D. Now years later with our elite players being far closer to retirement than a return to peak form, you go and sign an expensive free agent D-man. If there is a *plan* to win the Cup, Holland is doing a great job obscuring it because it sure feels like he's either very confused about the year we're in or just throwing crumbs to a fan base that *is* very confused about the year we're in.

I don't think anyone views the Wings as one Mike Green away from turning into a contender, but under the circumstances, with the Wings having zero defensive prospects with any real upside, and Kronwall turning 35 soon, signing Green was a no brainer.

Unfortunately until the Wings find elite talent, they won't be contending again, but at least the regular season will be less nauseating to watch.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I think that's the best ANY team can say ANY year.

There are 30 teams with the same salary cap and the same rules and they're all fighting for the same Cup. There are no guarantees.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think that's the best ANY team can say ANY year.

There are 30 teams with the same salary cap and the same rules and they're all fighting for the same Cup. There are no guarantees.
While technically true, you can't honestly believe that "the haves" (Chicago, Anaheim, Tampa, New York, etc.) and "the have nots" (Edmonton, Buffalo, Phoenix, etc.) are a razor's edge apart, can you?

Some franchises definitely have an advantage over others. For the last several years, Detroit has been somewhere in the middle; hopefully this summer starts to change that for the better.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I don't think anyone views the Wings as one Mike Green away from turning into a contender, but under the circumstances, with the Wings having zero defensive prospects with any real upside, and Kronwall turning 35 soon, signing Green was a no brainer.

Unfortunately until the Wings find elite talent, they won't be contending again, but at least the regular season will be less nauseating to watch.

Yeah, being a goalie who isn't historically bad in SOs away from a 105-107 point season and a 3 seed.

Ugh. I feel the bile rising! Somebody hand me a bowl.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
While technically true, you can't honestly believe that "the haves" (Chicago, Anaheim, Tampa, New York, etc.) and "the have nots" (Edmonton, Buffalo, Phoenix, etc.) are a razor's edge apart, can you?

I think their point was that even as a contender, in today's NHL there aren't prohibitive favorites and playoff success is less of a sure thing than it was pre-cap.

Some franchises definitely have an advantage over others. For the last several years, Detroit has been somewhere in the middle; hopefully this summer starts to change that for the better.

I think I'd put Detroit somewhere around the top 10 over the past 5-6 years, even gerrymandering the timeframe past the 2009 Finals loss. 8-12.

Boston, Chicago and LA have been clearly better and have won at least a Cup. Rangers were better but no Cup. Tampa's kind of iffy. They've got 3 playoff misses and a round 1 loss to go with a round 3 loss and a Finals loss. That one depends on how much you mark down for failure. Maybe Vancouver's been better over that time frame too? Pitt? Montreal?

There's probably at least one or two more that would be some marginal amount of improvement over Detroit the past 5-6 years, but not too many I don't think.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yeah, being a goalie who isn't historically bad in SOs away from a 105-107 point season and a 3 seed.

Ugh. I feel the bile rising! Somebody hand me a bowl.

Being historically bad in SO's wouldn't matter if the Wings didn't hang their goalies out to dry during regulation.

# of games where Mrazek let in 3 or more goals. 10 in 26 starts or 12 in 29 if you include relief appearances

# of games where Howard let in 3 or more goals. 16 in 50 starts or 18 in 53 including relief appearances

Shootout wins would have just masked their flaws until the playoffs started.

Hey guys, the Wings were two points behind Chicago in the standings. That must mean Detroit is almost as good!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Well obviously the league still has and probably will always have a bottom half that has no business being anywhere near a Cup. But my point is about the top half. In your list of "(Chicago, Anaheim, Tampa, New York, etc.)", can any one of those teams really claim that they are definitively better than all the others? No. The best they can do is be good enough to compete, and at the same time hope for the puck luck, injury luck, hot streaks, etc that are the difference between an exit and a Cup.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Man I don't get people.

If Holland doesn't improve the team: "He's sitting on his hands again, he never even tries to improve the team."

If Holland signs Green to fill the team's biggest weakness, an offensive RHD the Wings have needed: "Why did Kenny do this move, what's the point? What an idiot."

If it would be more appealing to you for the Red Wings get high draft pick after high draft pick and stink seasons on end just become a Hurricanes fan or something.

No matter what he does, outside of trading Kyle Quincey in a package for Shea Weber, you guys will criticize his moves. He filled the team's biggest need at a reasonable term/cost and made them better and for some reason that move was dumb. You make no sense.

I agree with what you are saying. People are just *****ing cause they want to. Kenny even got green during his prime free agent years. Everything is a risk, but the risks here are lessened.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Man I don't get people.

Problem is us reasonable voices get drowned out by those yelling at the sky.

Hard to have ANY problems with these signings.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I have no problem with the Green signing at all. This line-up is a lot better than what we had last year. Green pushes Kindl off the D list. Green is better offensively and defensively than any of Kindl, Zidlicky, Lashoff, and better offensively than anyone on our roster. By the end of the season Ericsson will be on the third pair where he belongs. Kronwall-Smith Dekeyser-Green Ericsson-Quincey\Marchenko will be our defense, and that is not a bad setup. Smith always plays at a higher level when he plays with Kronwall or Dekeyser.

Being paired with Dekeyser is going to free Green up to play like he did 4-5 years ago. He has been playing under coaches with inconsistent systems and stifling defensive schemas for basically 4 years. Same reason Ovechkin's scoring dropped off. If Blashill keeps up with the same puck possession style then Green should flourish in Detroit. I think you'll see him score at least 45 points this season and I don't think he will be as big a defensive liability as we think. Not being paired with Dekeyser and with Mrazek in net.

For the first time in a long time I am excited about this Wings team heading into the season.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Being historically bad in SO's wouldn't matter if the Wings didn't hang their goalies out to dry during regulation.

A) Apparently not so much that if the goalie is only just decent, not great but just decent, the team's a 3 or 4 seed instead of a 7 or 8 seed.

B) Are we overly concerned with how a 5.25 mil player is being left out to dry? Isn't the point of being a highly paid player that you sort of have to put the big boy pants on? Yes, the team would be better in front of you if the team had 2 or 3 mil of your salary back to spend there. That's sort of how it goes.

Hey guys, the Wings were two points behind Chicago in the standings. That must mean Detroit is almost as good!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, the Wings were two points behind Chicago in the standings. Let's all be nauseated by how terrible they are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
A) Apparently not so much that if the goalie is only just decent, not great but just decent, the team's a 3 or 4 seed instead of a 7 or 8 seed.

I guarantee you, if Howard is in net against Tampa Bay we lose in 5 or 6 and get blown out at least three times.
Mrazek got us to the playoffs and got us to Game 7, shutting out the eventual ECF champions twice. Tampa only got shut out four times last season...and three of those were to Mrazek. The other was to the Stanley Cup champions in the last game of the season.

By this time next season Mrazek is going to be a top-10 goalie in the NHL. The only reason I want to platoon Howard and Mrazek is to build Howard's trade value.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
:D
So is Holland not to get credit for this signing because Green was basically set on Detroit? :sarcasm:
:naughty::laugh:

You sir are a gentleman & a scholar...buy this man a drink with some e-points or something.

SO HAPPY about GREEN!

Richards solid pickup term, fit, skill & $

...all kinds of options for BLASH!

Only wanted him at 5x5 or 3x6. So happy about this signing, term is great

I do like the idea of him playing with DeKeyser. Kronwall is probably mad though that he still has to babysit Ericsson on the top pair

yes exactly, Green is no longer a #2 (b/c of injury history), not anything else though.

#1-Kronwall-25min
#2-Dekeyser-22
#3-Green-20min

#4/5-BIG-E--Quincey18-17 ____>>>>ONE OF Big E/Quincey/Smith must be traded to develop Marchy/XO
#6-Smith-15min :popcorn:

#7 Marchenko-15min
#8 OUellet-15min

I actually forgot Kindl even existed LMAO

Datsyuk may be out til Nov...:shakehead

Richards-40Z-Gator8
tatar21-Sheahan15-nyquist14
Jurco26-Helm43-Pulkkinen56
Miller20-Glen41-Ferraro29

?? Franzen ??

...Richards is not strong enough defensively as a #2C flanked by Tatar & Nyquist (*Nike needs to step up defensively this year)

7 of our TOP 9 D-Men are under 30yrs old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think Green @ 6 million is overpayment. But I can live with the 3 year term.

Off topic, any word if Blash is starting Howard or is he going to let Mrazek and Howie duke it out at training camp?

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
I think Green @ 6 million is overpayment. But I can live with the 3 year term.

Off topic, any word if Blash is starting Howard or is he going to let Mrazek and Howie duke it out at training camp?

I liked 4yrs x 5-5.5better, but I am still ECSTATIC about this move...

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Man I don't get people.

I'm not "you people"/"you guys", I don't know or care what other people's complaints are.

I have had very specific concerns and they are certainly consistent enough. And guess what, different moves are appropriate at different times. A team with Zetterberg and Datsyuk in 2010 is at a different stage in a franchise life cycle than a team with Zetterberg and Datsyuk in 2015. You can't approach every free agency period or trade deadline the same way. Every scenario demands a different approach.

There's a reason why we talk about *buyer* and *seller* scenarios. If you use analytical approaches to sports, you will find out that misreading the scenario and buying when you should be selling is one of the classic ways franchises condemn themselves to mediocrity.

And what do the Carolina Hurricanes have to do with anything? If you are only a Red Wings fan because they're 'good' and have a playoff streak then maybe you should be a Blackhawks fan for now. The goal of a franchise is to win the Stanley Cup and if you can't win it this year or next year, your goal has to be to win it as soon as possible. And if that means you have to be a little worse this year, you suck it up. Long-term thinking. It's what's behind all success.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Green cover a need we have since Lidström left. Green is more a Rafalski replacement so Im not comparing Green with Lids, but the fact is that we havent had a true elite blueliner on PP since Lidström left. It will be more costly for the Wings opposition to get a man down. Richards should also be an offensive improvement.

And the terms is not bad at all considering that Green was a UFA

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Cory Emmerton is gonna be pissed!

There'll never be another like him.
oilers_red_wings_hockey.jpg

His number should go next to Danny boy's, imo.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Green cover a need we have since Lidström left. Green is more a Rafalski replacement so Im not comparing Green with Lids, but the fact is that we havent had a true elite blueliner on PP since Lidström left. It will be more costly for the Wings opposition to get a man down. Richards should also be an offensive improvement.

And the terms is not bad at all considering that Green was a UFA
Green isn't even a Rafalski-level replacement...Mike Green is nowhere near Brian Rafalski in terms of quality. The expectations for Green are out of control. I like the Green signing...a lot, but I know what he is from watching him through the years and last year he was in a perfect spot as a 3rd pairing guy. I will do cartwheels if he can play well with DD on that 2nd pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad