Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Green isn't even a Rafalski-level replacement...Mike Green is nowhere near Brian Rafalski in terms of quality. The expectations for Green are out of control. I like the Green signing...a lot, but I know what he is from watching him through the years and last year he was in a perfect spot as a 3rd pairing guy. I will do cartwheels if he can play well with DD on that 2nd pair.
45 points from the third pair is pretty fantastic. I think you're underrating him. He should be a perfect fit with DeKeyser.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Green isn't even a Rafalski-level replacement...Mike Green is nowhere near Brian Rafalski in terms of quality. The expectations for Green are out of control. I like the Green signing...a lot, but I know what he is from watching him through the years and last year he was in a perfect spot as a 3rd pairing guy. I will do cartwheels if he can play well with DD on that 2nd pair.
It'll be interesting what Blashill does with the D-pairs. There are a lot of options now. I wouldn't be that surprised if Green ends up on the 3rd pair but logs big PP minutes.

I would try Kronwall-Smith, keep Dekeyser and Quincey together on the 2nd pairing and run with Ericsson-Green as the 3rd. That would be a balanced defensive group with some puck-moving ability on each pairing. That hinges on Smith finally taking that next step though.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013

Green is an inherently flawed player, but his upside is enormous. I'm not suggesting he'll hit it, but if he is able to gel with Dekeyser and truly play his game he's one of the most dangerous defensemen in the league. He is more offensively gifted than Rafalski was... that said, he isn't the same level player and if both were on the team I'm sure Rafalski would've still been playing with Lidstrom rather than Green (although, 07-10 was pretty much Green's entire peak :sarcasm: ).

He isn't a #1 offensive and defensive dynamo like a Duncan Keith. But that's not what we need. Or, at least, not what we're going to be able to find on the FA market... I'd love one of those.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006

Green was on Washington's 3rd pair in part because of play, yes, but also in part (and I would say at least in equal part) because he was going to be a UFA unlikely to return which is why Washington signed Niskanen to the big deal they did. If they thought Green would/wanted him to stay, Niskanen's never there and he's in the top 3.

Instead the team signs Niskanen to a most likely stupid deal and Orpik to an almost certainly stupid deal and boom... Green's an afterthought the team has no plans on retaining long term or an ability to pay even if they did, so they move on from him in terms of roster responsibility because, well, they're going to have to anyway.

And then he's #2 in goals (t-1st in ES goals) and points among Caps dmen even though he played 72 games at 19:03 per. And he led the dmen in plus/minus.

As a point of comparison, last year all Wings defensemen scored 23 ES goals while Green had 9, alone.

He's going to play 16+ ES, 3+ PP, zero on the PK, and he's going to have a real shot to have the most points of any Wings defensemen since Lidstrom's 62 in 2011.

Brandel*

yost-graph-mike-green-scoring-chances.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/free-agent-frenzy-winners-and-losers-1.323931

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
I want to get me a Mike Green jersey now!

I also hope that he is selected to get a bobblehead for one of the give aways for the promotional schedule this year!

Would love to see Green lined up with Dekeyser, would be a excellent blend of offense and defense for them!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Listening to Washington fans as Green is out the door is akin to listening to what he had to say as Filppula left...

Which is to say a lot of us were wrong a different player would be better and Filppula has been a great fit in Tampa. I expect the same thing for Green in Detroit, where he'll have a chance to showcase his talents with a nice mix of scorers.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Hahaha I just realized his jersey will say the word "GREEN" on a red background.

That is a little more amusing than it should be.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
The more I think about it I really like this signing. Green can make a lot of mistakes but he is a catalyst to the offense.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The more I think about it I really like this signing. Green can make a lot of mistakes but he is a catalyst to the offense.

We have like 6 or 8 defenders in the system that can't generate offense and are so-so at defense. This is absolutely an area of need. Let DeKeyser babysit him if he's such a liability, but I think we're going to find quickly that he's no worse than half the guys the Wings have ran out there regularly.

Green is a high octane offensive defender that is right handed and WANTED to join the Red Wings more than any other team. This is a total slam dunk.

Now you just keep adding more good defenders around Green, Kronwall, and DeKeyser.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, Green even though I think he is flawed defensively is still probably better at defending than Smith,Kindl, and E.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, Green even though I think he is flawed defensively is still probably better at defending than Smith,Kindl, and E.

You got it, man. Don't forget this team was also recently running out guys like Lashoff, Colaiacovo, and Ian White regularly.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I always thought Green was American. I just noticed that he is a "good ole Canadian kid."

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Why the heck does he wear 52 anyways? Or why does Ericsson for that matter? Such a random number, funny that it's already taken.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Why the heck does he wear 52 anyways? Or why does Ericsson for that matter? Such a random number, funny that it's already taken.

All the good numbers are taken

91 (unoffically retired)
16 (Unoffically retired, Or just because Reasons) That was his number right?
5 (Retired)
19 (retired)
1 (retired)
99 (league wide retirement)

Probably missing more. Dont know what washington had.. I imagine alot of those good number are taken 2

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
All the good numbers are taken

91 (unoffically retired)
16 (Unoffically retired, Or just because Reasons) That was his number right?
5 (Retired)
19 (retired)
1 (retired)
99 (league wide retirement)

Probably missing more. Dont know what washington had.. I imagine alot of those good number are taken 2

1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 19 are all of our officially retired numbers.

6, 16, and 91 are out of circulation.

Actual Thought*

I love that he signed such a short term. I am certain he could have gotten a better contract but chose to come here. Green was the most coveted blueliner in FA and maybe the best UFA overall. I was opposed to giving him what I was certain he would get in term. I proposed that I would be happy with overpaying him for short term. Instead I think we got market value and short term. He definitely adds a dimension we needed. Holland deserves credit on this one. He has done what many here said he would never do.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I love that he signed such a short term. I am certain he could have gotten a better contract but chose to come here. Green was the most coveted blueliner in FA and maybe the best UFA overall. I was opposed to giving him what I was certain he would get in term. I proposed that I would be happy with overpaying him for short term. Instead I think we got market value and short term. He definitely adds a dimension we needed. Holland deserves credit on this one. He has done what many here said he would never do.

I agree, though this has been a rather unique Free Agency period. Players are taking pay cuts and shorter termed contracts, probably because of the salary cap not rising very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad