Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Lame reference to the rapper Mike Jones I presume. He does the "Who? Mike Jones" thing and repeats it a lot.

Would have worked better if this was about, who? Keith Jones!

jones.jpg

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
just watched the TSN panel from when the signing actually happened during the UFA frenzy and they mentioned that apparently the wings tried to trade for Mike Green 6 times in the past 5 years. Is this true and if it is, did Holland openly admit to that being the case? If so at least we got him for free now lol

Brandel*

just watched the TSN panel from when the signing actually happened during the UFA frenzy and they mentioned that apparently the wings tried to trade for Mike Green 6 times in the past 5 years. Is this true and if it is, did Holland openly admit to that being the case? If so at least we got him for free now lol

Holland may have tried last summer or during the year to trade for him but the 6 times in 5 years was a joke by Gord

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I could think they have tried to get him after Rafalski retired (summer of 2011). At same time, Green had two bad seasons (2010-11 and 2011-12) for Capitals after his glorious ones. It was the ideal time to ask, maybe the prize is lower. Rafalski retirement opened the money & roster hole to insert him in. Rafu was a 6M dollar man, like Green was and still is.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I could think they have tried to get him after Rafalski retired (summer of 2011). At same time, Green had two bad seasons (2010-11 and 2011-12) for Capitals after his glorious ones. It was the ideal time to ask, maybe the prize is lower. Rafalski retirement opened the money & roster hole to insert him in. Rafu was a 6M dollar man, like Green was and still is.

That would make sense timing wise. I can't imagine the price if they actually inquired five years ago (before the 2010 season). He'd be coming up on his 25 year old season coming off two consecutive seasons well over PPG. That's an untouchable asset if there ever is one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I like this:

2014-15 Even-strength points/60:

Green 1.39
DeKeyser 1.05
Kronwall 0.80
Quincey 0.75
Ericsson 0.55
Zidlicky 0.53
Smith 0.50

Actual Thought*

That would make sense timing wise. I can't imagine the price if they actually inquired five years ago (before the 2010 season). He'd be coming up on his 25 year old season coming off two consecutive seasons well over PPG. That's an untouchable asset if there ever is one.

What is the explanation for his massive drop off following 09?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What is the explanation for his massive drop off following 09?

It's crazy when I look the stats after his "massive drop off" after 2009-10, he still looks like a TOP5 offensive defenceman with all standards. I really didn't know he is this good.

I remember, reasons for this drop off after his superb years has mainly been groin injuries.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's crazy when I look the stats after his "massive drop off" after 2009-10, he still looks like a TOP5 offensive defenceman with all standards. I really didn't know he is this good.

I remember, reasons for this drop off after his superb years has mainly been groin injuries.

Caps scored almost 100 less goals the following season. Not sure why, but that affected Green's numbers obviously.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Caps scored almost 100 less goals the following season. Not sure why, but that affected Green's numbers obviously.

I think powerplays across the league began to dry up, leading to more even strength play and more teams playing it close. When Green was putting up a point per game, he was getting over four minutes a night on the power play, and teams were scoring more in general, leading to a more open game, and more opportunities to put ES points on the board as well. As the league tightened, Green had some injury troubles, Washington had a coaching carousel, and some other guys (Carlson and Alzner internally, Wideman and Niskanen externally) came in and forced the distribution of minutes and linemates to alter a bit.

Still, as Henkka points out, Green's rate numbers still looked good every year but one. Not PPG good, but aside from the year he put up .22, he did something like .49, .7, and .6. Give me 50 points from a blueliner, and I'll be pretty darn happy.

Actual Thought*

I think powerplays across the league began to dry up, leading to more even strength play and more teams playing it close. When Green was putting up a point per game, he was getting over four minutes a night on the power play, and teams were scoring more in general, leading to a more open game, and more opportunities to put ES points on the board as well. As the league tightened, Green had some injury troubles, Washington had a coaching carousel, and some other guys (Carlson and Alzner internally, Wideman and Niskanen externally) came in and forced the distribution of minutes and linemates to alter a bit.

Still, as Henkka points out, Green's rate numbers still looked good every year but one. Not PPG good, but aside from the year he put up .22, he did something like .49, .7, and .6. Give me 50 points from a blueliner, and I'll be pretty darn happy.
Thanks guys. In a nutshell it was injuries and team issues. I think it would be more concerning if the team scored the same or more and he alone dropped off. I don't watch a lot of Capital hockey so I was just wondering.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks guys. In a nutshell it was injuries and team issues. I think it would be more concerning if the team scored the same or more and he alone dropped off. I don't watch a lot of Capital hockey so I was just wondering.

His production last year was back to being really good. More points than Kronwall, Shattenkirk, and Ekman-Larsson.

He has his issues, but producing offense and points is not one of them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Like from here.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...type=individual&sort=ifassists60&sortdir=DESC

Green is TOP5 at first assists/60, TOP20 in Shootin% and TOP9 in IFenwick. If you multiply these stats (my own advanced Total rating), he is 4th best after Karlsson, Burns and Byfuglien. And Burns+Byfuglien stats are not real stats from defence position, because they have played also as forwards. So, only Karlsson is really better. :nod:

I'm really really surpriced, relatively, his stats will look better at even strength than PP.

And this included latest 5 years (with defencemen played over 3000 total mins), after his best his seasons. These are his "bad" seasons. :amazed:

Aug 6, 2012
I'm really excited about this signing. If Green can make the impact I believe he will under Blash, then we'll be one impact defender away from inching into legit contender status. If we're playing strong under Blash, I think you finally have to go get that elusive top-three defenseman to fill out the roster.

We have a few years here where Dats, Z and Kronner are hopefully still elite players, and there is a lot of young, quality talent supporting them. The window is opening every so slightly, but it will close soon. I don't think Ken Holland has the cahones to go out and make a huge deal like that anymore, but I'm really hoping he grows them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Interesting to see if they will use Pulkkinen as "ovechkin" for Green.

Counted Green's assists and 26 of them were not assists for Ovechkin goal. 11 was, 9 on the PP. 8 of those PP assists were primary assists for AO, and if you watch those highlights, it's usually AO slapper through the traffic. Pulkkinen can do the same, or at least have a same PP structure. It's not just Ovechkin shooting, also the pass for an one-timer has to be good, and Green has skill for that.

So, if we use same kind of group in our PP, put Pulkkinen left side on the "Ovechkin" spot, Green on the point and Datsyuk/Richards to be the "playmaker-Bäckström" on the right side. Screener like Sheahan there and Tatar in the right corner/free role.

Sheahan
Pulu - Tatar - Datsyuk/Richards
Green

Guess what, this is "only" our 2nd unit. :nod:

Abdelkader
Gus - Zetterberg - Mule/Datsyuk
Kronner

That's our 1st unit from last year which was great. Next season, we'll have two units, which both could be 1st units in some other teams. :yo:

Aug 6, 2012
Green was a beauty duo with Ovi on the PP. He is awesome at passing it right into the wheelhouse, and does it at some pretty clever times.

Brandel*

Green's last goal in Washington was against the Wings

[NHL]801193[/NHL]

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like this:

2014-15 Even-strength points/60:

Green 1.39
DeKeyser 1.05
Kronwall 0.80
Quincey 0.75
Ericsson 0.55
Zidlicky 0.53
Smith 0.50

Expect DeKeyser's numbers to go up if he and Green cement as a pairing.

Really the only way I could envision some of the absurd point totals people have thrown out for DeKeyser just happened for him. He landed a top 5 Offensive D-man that should help his point totals a lot.

Aug 6, 2012
DeKeyser is built to play with a risky offensive defenseman. So good at recovering on defense. I don't expect his numbers to get much better throughout his career. He will be a reliable 30 point defenseman for a long time. Maybe an outlier of 40 points with some luck and PP time.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
DeKeyser is built to play with a risky offensive defenseman. So good at recovering on defense. I don't expect his numbers to get much better throughout his career. He will be a reliable 30 point defenseman for a long time. Maybe an outlier of 40 points with some luck and PP time.

DeKeyser would have lead the defense in points if he had received the same amount of power play time as Kornwall.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
DeKeyser would have lead the defense in points if he had received the same amount of power play time as Kornwall.

No he wouldn't have. His PP production per 60 minutes was not nearly as good.

Kronwall is one of the best power play defenseman in the league. Dekeyser would not match ot come that close to his PP production.

And our PP would have worse if you switched the two by a decent amount.

Edit: Well I guess if you gave Dekeyser Kronwall's PP time, Kronwall would no longer get Kronwall's PP time, so technically you're right. But I don't think Dekeyser deserves that, at least not right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad