Confirmed with Link: Mike Green to Detroit 3 years/6m per

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
While I think he will be good on the second pair giving a puckmover to each of our top 4 d pairs I worry about him. Granted unlike smith he is a proven capable point producer. But anyone who gets to see him fairly decently has to admit he can be ****ing stupid at times. As well as taking dumb penalties on a regular basis.

Which probably means people will be *****ing about Glendy's TOI once again this year. Devoid of the fact that 4-5 minutes once again will be on the pk. Because with Smith, KFQ, Green, and Kindl we will be taking a huge amount of unneeded penalties this year.

I am most interested in how they will use the pp with him now. Will they run a continuation of 4f 1d splitting kronner and green up on different pairs or will our top pp unit go back to 3f 2d and just hope the kids on the sec pp can put points up relative to how much time they see.

I would personally lean toward dropping Kronner down to 2nd pp qb to ease his minutes given his age and have Green qb 1st pp. But the pp implementation will be one of the more interesting factors early in the season given that Babs is gone now. To me structurally the only other thing I am as interested in is how Blash will implement a new breakout system at the NHL level or if he will lean towards the GRG strategy in the NHL.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Kronwall is a top 10 D-man on the PP because he passes so well.

He's fine. This isn't to rip Kronwall, but he's not a remarkable or even all that accomplished offensive dman in any facet of the offensive game. He's a very good, very well-rounded player to be sure, but he doesn't have any particular plus skills.

t-70th, t-27th, t-15th, t-54th. Those are Kronwall's ES assist rankings the past 4 years. If he were as accomplished a passer as you suggest, those wouldn't be what they are.

Again, he's fine. Just not great.

He did that at an incredibly elite level for one of the top units in the league and remains a massive PP player. Now he has help so he isn't our only massive PP player on the back-end.

"Incredibly elite". "Massive".

You can see why I question the exaggeration of his abilities? ;)

You still need to do it at times and the Wings do, what made them lethal on the PP last year in my opinion is their ability to beat you several ways and constantly change the look. Kronwall is a big part of that and Green should be too, it is exciting.

It also helped to have substantially better offensive forwards throughout the unit than they had in 12, 13, and 14 when the PP was mediocre. People very often blame system when the problem in almost every situation is actually the player specifically or the talent level in general, especially when the improvement is pronounced. These guys are all pros who play at a very high level. How they are used within any system accounts for only a small amount of what they are able to do. When your second unit is Cleary, Bert and Filppula it's not terribly surprising that such a unit will struggle offensively, at least compared to one with Tatar and a hot Abdelkader, while Nyquist scores way more PP goals than the year before in a role that didn't change at all.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
He's fine. This isn't to rip Kronwall, but he's not a remarkable or even all that accomplished offensive dman in any facet of the offensive game. He's a very good, very well-rounded player to be sure, but he doesn't have any particular plus skills.

t-70th, t-27th, t-15th, t-54th. Those are Kronwall's ES assist rankings the past 4 years. If he were as accomplished a passer as you suggest, those wouldn't be what they are.

Couldn't disagree more. I have 2 things to say about Kronwall:

1. He plays very well with the Euro Twins, often at their level.

2. For a few years now (post Lidstrom retirement), he's had to carry a very heavy load on an otherwise pretty mediocre defence. And he's done it while continuing to be a playoff team. Even weathered long injuries to Datsyuk and Zetterberg and managed to make the playoffs.

In my opinion, a very underrated defenceman.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

"Incredibly elite". "Massive".

You can see why I question the exaggeration of his abilities? ;)

It also helped to have substantially better offensive forwards throughout the unit than they had in 12, 13, and 14 when the PP was mediocre. People very often blame system when the problem in almost every situation is actually the player specifically or the talent level in general, especially when the improvement is pronounced. These guys are all pros who play at a very high level. How they are used within any system accounts for only a small amount of what they are able to do. When your second unit is Cleary, Bert and Filppula it's not terribly surprising that such a unit will struggle offensively, at least compared to one with Tatar and a hot Abdelkader, while Nyquist scores way more PP goals than the year before in a role that didn't change at all.

Kronner is on the verge of being elite, But because he is an all around player He really isn't cause he doesnt excel at one thing. He's an above average/average Offensive dman, Above averge/Average Defender. His Physical skills were Elite back in 08 and so on until Lids retired. Now its probably above average/average

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Couldn't disagree more. I have 2 things to say about Kronwall:

1. He plays very well with the Euro Twins, often at their level.

2. For a few years now (post Lidstrom retirement), he's had to carry a very heavy load on an otherwise pretty mediocre defence. And he's done it while continuing to be a playoff team. Even weathered long injuries to Datsyuk and Zetterberg and managed to make the playoffs.

In my opinion, a very underrated defenceman.

That people are calling him "Incredibly Elite" and "Massive" leads me to suspect underrating isn't something Kronwall's having to deal with very much. ;)

I imagine it would not be terribly hard to come up with a list of 10-15 guys that are clearly better than Kronwall and another 10-15 that are very approximate to him in overall play. Again (and I re-state this often because people are so quick to leap to the hyperbolic conclusion) this isn't to rip Kronwall. He's good. He's just not as good as a decent number of other dmen... which makes him a middling #1, IMO.

I agree that he's had to carry a big load for the team, and it's to his credit that he's done what he has in that role. IMO he'd be a very strong #2, and had the team landed Suter... whoo boy. Alas.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
That people are calling him "Incredibly Elite" and "Massive" leads me to suspect underrating isn't something Kronwall's having to deal with very much. ;)

I imagine it would not be terribly hard to come up with a list of 10-15 guys that are clearly better than Kronwall and another 10-15 that are very approximate to him in overall play. Again (and I re-state this often because people are so quick to leap to the hyperbolic conclusion) this isn't to rip Kronwall. He's good. He's just not as good as a decent number of other dmen... which makes him a middling #1, IMO.

I agree that he's had to carry a big load for the team, and it's to his credit that he's done what he has in that role. IMO he'd be a very strong #2, and had the team landed Suter... whoo boy. Alas.

in 2014 if he didnt get injured he could have contended for the Norris, But when he got injured he fell off. I think thats what they mean by underrated, Not. Oh hes totally not good enough to be #1

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Kronwall was better than Suter last year...

If he is a middling #1 or say the 15th best D-man on the planet that isn't a bad thing.

He is one of what two or three guys I think Injured posted it that has finished top 10 in PP points the last three seasons. Very small list.

Kronwall is the most important player on this team and has been for several years now. We are up a creek without a paddle if something happens to him.

He is a #1 and a good one. I think the decline starts though here pretty soon, so we need to find some answers to help him, I think Green will help that regard.

Outside of the rare screen goalie at a critical juncture of the game (which has happened maybe not as frequently as it is talked about but is frustrating) I have very little to complain about with Kronwall. He has taken that #1 mantle quite well, he just needs more help, even Lidstrom had more help not that he needed much, but still that is the reality. Kronwall carries a different unit, but he is not the problem.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Kronwall was better than Suter last year...

I don't think Suter had his best year, but Minnesota wasn't exactly helping him out a lot, especially on the PP. That said, Suter's more of a defensive defenseman than an offensive or even an all around one... and he was a huge part of the reason the Wild had the best PK in the NHL last year.

He is one of what two or three guys I think Injured posted it that has finished top 10 in PP points the last three seasons. Very small list.

There's also a small list of guys who were in the top 8-12 of total PP IT every year, too. Those things are related, especially when ~50% of a guys PP points are second assists.

Kronwall is the most important player on this team and has been for several years now. We are up a creek without a paddle if something happens to him.

I don't think that's the case. I mean, yeah, if he gets hurt the team takes a step back. That's true of any of the players the team relies on, though... especially the guys with 4+ mil a year of the cap on them.

IMO the most important player on the Wings for any of the last 15 years has been the goaltender, whoever that was, and I think that's shown no sign of changing any time soon.

Outside of the rare screen goalie at a critical juncture of the game (which has happened maybe not as frequently as it is talked about but is frustrating) I have very little to complain about with Kronwall.

Yep. I agree. He's a very consistent, dependable player back there.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
suter had one of the worst GAs on wild PK. only one regular (of 8 players) had it worse.

minnesota's GA on the PK was 4.95 GA/60min. suter's was 6.49. (13th ranked boston as a team had GA/60 of 6.38).

you also seem to have trouble understanding that kronwall has excellent production on the powerplay relative to his ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad