Mike Commodore - " Mike Babcock doesnt have the respect of his players" Amazing Interview with Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Chris Chelios is a complete dick. I'd be proud if he didn't like me. Commodore in plain out unhinged and I take nothing he says seriously. I'm not a Babcock fan of late but these two guys are not good examples.
Commodore had previously hated Babcock based on his time playing in Cincinnati of the AHL when Babcock was coaching there and he still signed in Detroit knowing Babcock was with the Red Wings. That's why his opinion means nothing.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
If we're quoting old Detroit captains, here is Zetterberg take :

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.
_______

Detroit's record since Babcock's departure:

136-145-47 (136 wins, 192 losses).

I wonder what Zetterberg would say now looking back on how well that change went?

Again, I hate Babcock right now. Just saying none of the detractors quoted in this thread are very convincing.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

136-145-47 or a (136 wins, 192 losses).

I wonder what Zetterberg would say now looking back on how well that change went?

Again, I hate Babcock right now. Just saying none of the detractors quoted in this thread are very convincing.
You can say Babcock knew when to leave from there. I'm also sure it was Ken Holland's moves to keep their playoff streak alive that caused the Red Wings to have losing seasons since Babcock left.

Yes I'm sure the money offered by Toronto was a factor and remember all the people who said there is no chance he goes to Toronto, hell even Babcock thought there was no chance of that at one point. However when Babcock came to Toronto they had not even drafted Auston Matthews which was never a guarantee of getting the 1st pick in 2016 and they had also not yet drafted Mitch Marner in 2015.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Commodore had previously hated Babcock based on his time playing in Cincinnati of the AHL when Babcock was coaching there and he still signed in Detroit knowing Babcock was with the Red Wings. That's why his opinion means nothing.

MC mentions in the interview that when he was offered that 1 mil/1 yr deal from Detroit he phoned Babcock before signing to ask him what the team's plan for him was. Commodore apparently asked if he was actually going to get a shot or if the team just planned to bury him in the minors, with Babcock giving him a "BS" response saying he'd be a part of their top 6.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
MC mentions in the interview that when he was offered that 1 mil/1 yr deal from Detroit he phoned Babcock before signing to ask him what the team's plan for him was. Commodore apparently asked if he was actually going to get a shot or if the team just planned to bury him in the minors, with Babcock giving him a "BS" response saying he'd be a part of their top 6.
I said this before and I will say it again. In July 2017 when Toronto signed Dominic Moore to a 1 year contract it was thought he was going to be the 4th line centre. Instead at the start of the season he was being switched in and out of the lineup with Eric Fehr. After Fehr was traded Moore only played in a total of 50 games and only 2 playoff games. However you don't see him coming out and saying Babcock promised him anything or saying he ruined his career.

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
I said this before and I will say it again. In July 2017 when Toronto signed Dominic Moore to a 1 year contract it was thought he was going to be the 4th line centre. Instead at the start of the season he was being switched in and out of the lineup with Eric Fehr. After Fehr was traded Moore only played in a total of 50 games and only 2 playoff games. However you don't see him coming out and saying Babcock promised him anything or saying he ruined his career.
This is not the same. Terrible argument. You probably should not use it any more.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
If we're quoting old Detroit captains, here is Zetterberg take :

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.
_______

There's literally nothing negative in there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is not the same. Terrible argument. You probably should not use it any more.
How is it not the same? Both players signed 1 year contracts and Leafs fans assumed Moore would be the 4th line centre since they had not re-signed Brian Boyle. The difference is we never heard Moore come out and complain that Babcock lied to him and sabotaged his career.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

So again, should his beef be with Babcock or himself for sucking? He was given $1 M and couldn't cut it with any team over three different levels including sucking BEFORE being given $1 M.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

136-145-47 (136 wins, 192 losses).

Not a fair argument.
You have to take into account the state of the team and it's decline. Detroit postponed a full rebuild as long as it could.
The cost of a 25 year playoff streak and trading away 1st round picks for help now finally caught up to the team.
The Redwings should have started the rebuild in 2012 when Lidstrom retired. They were forced to start the rebuild when Datsyuk left and we missed the playoffs.

You can't justify the team Babcock started with and the team Blashill inherited and say " I wonder what Zetterberg would say now looking back on how well that change went?"

Its not even close to the same team. No Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Rafalski...

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Chris Chelios is a complete dick. I'd be proud if he didn't like me. Commodore in plain out unhinged and I take nothing he says seriously. I'm not a Babcock fan of late but these two guys are not good examples.

Yeah I was going to point that out earlier. Consider the source. Guy is known as a bit of an idiot (a la Roenick type). Leave us not forget, he also has a previous record of not taking responsibility for actions (at least as part of a group) from the 98 Olympics and I believe skating a DUI on a technicality?

Last edited:

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
It can though the difference is only one of us is interpreting anyone's words. The other is taking it at face value.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time."

At face value Zetterberg said it was time for Mike to leave the Detroit Red Wings.

Period.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time."

At face value Zetterberg said it was time for Mike to leave the Detroit Red Wings.

Period.
Did you ever think maybe Babcock wanted to leave because he saw the writing on the walls that Detroit would not be a winning team? Take a look at this recent video from SB Nation about the Red Wings recent troubles.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Did you ever think maybe Babcock wanted to leave because he saw the writing on the walls that Detroit would not be a winning team? Take a look at this recent video from SB Nation about the Red Wings recent troubles.

Ok and what does that have to do with anything I've been saying? I've not once argued that Babcock wanted to stay in Detroit.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Like I have said before I think Babcock saw the Red Wings were no longer going to be a playoff team and knew it was time for a change.

Sure, ok. Is this just you stating Babcock wanted to leave Detroit? If so I agree, the Wings were in decline and he wanted to jump ship. It doesn't change the statement Zetterberg made about wanting Babcock gone nor does it disqualify that statement in any way. I guess I'm confused as to the point your trying to make because I've never said nor been under the impression Babcock wanted to stay in Detroit.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Apparently in your mind the Captain saying the coach needs to leave the team is not a bad thing.
To me that is a "negative". Something you said was "literally" not in my post.

Provide me with a list of coaches that last more than 5 years (let alone 10) with a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad