Mike Commodore - " Mike Babcock doesnt have the respect of his players" Amazing Interview with Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Spezza never felt like a Babcock player to me. I think there is some kind of disconnect between Dubas and him. Babcock would've never signed him if it was up to him I am pretty sure of.

Well Dubas did get rid of most of Babs pets this offseason. Pure speculation on my part, but those actions are signs of a power struggle going on between those 2.

Reactions: MsMeow

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
It kind of feels like mike commodore doesn’t understand that this is a professional sport and seems to think sentimentality should outweigh merit in selecting lineups.

You're kidding yourself if you think all lineup decisions are made based on merit. Merit is subjective.

The 2019/2020 Stanley Cup champions could have dressed Spezza for a game against the worst team in the league.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Babcock does some petty things from time to time... He sat Mike Modano the last game of the year if I remember correctly in a meaningless game rather than allow him to dress for game number 1,500 in his final regular season game of his career. Tell me how that happens? The Spezza thing doesn't surprise me... Not saying anything about his coaching style but he does hold grudges and decides to make people pay at strange times.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Babcock does some petty things from time to time... He sat Mike Modano the last game of the year if I remember correctly in a meaningless game rather than allow him to dress for game number 1,500 in his final regular season game of his career. Tell me how that happens? The Spezza thing doesn't surprise me... Not saying anything about his coaching style but he does hold grudges and decides to make people pay at strange times.

It doesn't. You invented most of what you just said. He was scratched in game 79 when the team was trying to lock up the division. In a season where he only played like 40 games with 15 points. Had a lacerated wrist. Also scratched several times in the playoffs.

Occasionally coaches put Crest ahead of name on the back of the Jersey.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Commodore is right about this. It's a complete joke and a slap in the face to Spezza. Spezza took a puny contract just to play for Toronto and has been nothing but a professional since he's got there. First game of the season against his former team and Babcock can't play him instead of Nick f***ing Shore (who couldn't even crack Ottawa's lineup a few years ago btw)? Completely insulting move and Babcock should honestly be ashamed.

Reactions: bobconbatman
Oct 18, 2011
No wonder players hate this guy, not dressing a respected veteran on opening night in his hometown is about as douchebag as it gets. It is just a show of power from a guy that seems to have a little man's complex

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
We're talking about 4th liners here. It's not like he scratched superstar Spezza. If Spezzas name didnt carry so much weight, he'd be in the AHL or press box most nights.

Right so if we're talking about 4th liners then why couldn't he have scratched Shore instead of Spezza?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You mean one of the guys who scored the very first goal for the Leafs? The bottom 6 was the strongest group tonight, and that was WITHOUT Spezza.

Oh so that's why Babcock scratched Spezza, because he had the magic ball tell him that Gauthier was going to score tonight. I'm sure Spezza understood.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Right so if we're talking about 4th liners then why couldn't he have scratched Shore instead of Spezza?
Because he was outplayed by several players, including Shore. What type of message are you sending if everyone has to earn their job except Spezza, because he’s from Toronto and his family bought tickets?

This isn’t pee wee.

The 4th line was very good. Not sure how you could be critical of them.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Oh so that's why Babcock scratched Spezza, because he had the magic ball tell him that Gauthier was going to score tonight. I'm sure Spezza understood.

And what crystal ball do we need to see that Toronto's bottom 6 had a great night? None. Quit living in the past. Again, Spezza can regain a spot with hard work and practice, not by whining.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
So Babcock carries himself like Belichick but sure hasn't won like him. Not a great look, wears out quickly unless you have a fistful of a diamonds. Scotty Bowman (Babcock's old mentor) was similar but he had the hardware to back it up. Most of Babcock's rep over the past 10 years is propped up by stacked Team Canada BS glory. That's what got him his Toronto payday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad