Mike Commodore - " Mike Babcock doesnt have the respect of his players" Amazing Interview with Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Seems there was a common theme to the guys who disliked Babcock.

He didn't like their work ethic or how they responded to being sat.

Both Commie and I forget the other guy (Sopel?).. sounded off about how they were sat or treated. When they started talking, they couldn't hide the actual facts, THEY didn't earn the spot. THEY acted like they deserved more ... Even though injuries, bad play kept them out of the lineup.

Most seemed like big guys that likely didn't come to camp in shape.... nhl shape...and are hiding behind Babcock hate, when in reality- they caused their own demise.

Talented NHL caliber players have refused to be traded to Toronto to avoid Babcock. Nik Lidstrom of all people couldn't think of a single nice thing to say about Babcock when asked.

Commodore is an extremist, no doubt, but it's silly to pretend the issues are isolated to bad players who blame Babcock for their misfortunes.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Commodore is a tool. He was a marginal D that squawked like a chickenhawk whenever he was traded or had reduced icetime. He complained about his departure from Ottawa (he sucked here) and he complained about his icetime under Babcock, and he probably complained about his icetime in Carolina.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Talented NHL caliber players have refused to be traded to Toronto to avoid Babcock. Nik Lidstrom of all people couldn't think of a single nice thing to say about Babcock when asked.

Perhaps that depends on your definition of "nice"?

“He’s an intense coach. If you aren’t playing well, he’ll let you know when you are doing your job and when you aren’t,” Lidstrom said in a phone interview from Sweden. “He’s not afraid to tell you what’s on his mind."

“It even happened with me once in a while. Being the captain, he expected more from me.”

“He can be, but I’ll tell you this: His teams will always be prepared,” Lidstrom said. “His attention to detail both offensively and defensively is just so thorough. You are never caught off-guard by what opponents are doing."

Maybe this doesn't meet your definition of "nice" but if I was someone's coach and this is how they described me, I'd be fine with that. Sounds like someone doing his job.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

“He’s an intense coach. If you aren’t playing well, he’ll let you know when you are doing your job and when you aren’t,” Lidstrom said in a phone interview from Sweden. “He’s not afraid to tell you what’s on his mind."

“It even happened with me once in a while. Being the captain, he expected more from me.”

“He can be, but I’ll tell you this: His teams will always be prepared,” Lidstrom said. “His attention to detail both offensively and defensively is just so thorough. You are never caught off-guard by what opponents are doing."

Maybe this doesn't meet your definition of "nice" but if I was someone's coach and this is how they described me, I'd be fine with that. Sounds like someone doing his job.

I'm more referring to the radio interview where Lidstrom was asked what he liked about Babcock and all he had to say was "he has good hair". I don't really see anything complimentary about Mike as a coach or a person there really. It's pretty in line with what the detractors say, he sees himself as smarter and above the team and isn't afraid to let you know it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How about the season in question? If we think about how Commodore looked when he played, and the sort of players who were used over him, I think that Commodore easily deserved to play and Wings' fans likely would agree with me.
In that season in question Commodore only had 2 assists in 17 games. If you want to go even further back in 2011 with the Blue Jackets he had 2 goals and 4 assists in 20 games. So his career was on the decline before that 1 year in Detroit.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm more referring to the radio interview where Lidstrom was asked what he liked about Babcock and all he had to say was "he has good hair". I don't really see anything complimentary about Mike as a coach or a person there really. It's pretty in line with what the detractors say, he sees himself as smarter and above the team and isn't afraid to let you know it.

The problem with that is that it is completely YOU reading into it. It isn't his job to be your buddy. It is his job to get you performing to what he believes is necessary. Why bother even having coaches if the players are so perfectly competent? I mean heck, if we believe Commodore, he'd probably still be in the NHL, let alone AHL....KHL......

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Not everyone will like everyone and this, also includes the coaches. Chris Chelios also does not like Mike Babcock.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not everyone will like everyone and this, also includes the coaches. Chris Chelios also does not like Mike Babcock.
You are leaving out that when Babcock did not play him every night he was 46 years old. In his final season with them in 28 games he had 0 goals, 0 assists and was +1. In the 2009 playoffs he only played 6 games and did not get any goals or assists. After he left the Red Wings and signed with the Thrashers and they called him up from the AHL, in 7 total games with them he had 0 goals, 0 assists and was a -2.

Hell let's not forget Chelios did not also like Gary Bettman and bashed him during each lockout, so should Babcock really be insulted that he also hated him?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You are leaving out that when Babcock did not play him every night he was 46 years old. In his final season with them in 28 games he had 0 goals, 0 assists and was +1. In the 2009 playoffs he only played 6 games and did not get any goals or assists. After he left the Red Wings and signed with the Thrashers and they called him up from the AHL, in 7 total games with them he had 0 goals, 0 assists and was a -2.

Hell let's not forget Chelios did not also like Gary Bettman and bashed him during each lockout, so should Babcock really be insulted that he also hated him?

I don't give a shit to how much ice time Babcock gave to Chelios or that Chelios bashed Bettman, all I was saying is that not everyone will like everyone.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't give a **** to how much ice time Babcock gave to Chelios or that Chelios bashed Bettman, all I was saying is that not everyone will like everyone.
That's fine but you need to look at the context of what I'm saying. At 46 years old did Chelios really believe he should have played every game?

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
A lot of people said bad things about Mike Keenan and he is one of the greater coaches in history.

Babcock had two options: Rule with love or rule with fear. He chose fear.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

If we're quoting old Detroit captains, here is Zetterberg take :

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.
_______

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If we're quoting old Detroit captains, here is Zetterberg take :

"There's a lot of guys in here who've been through the same stuff for many years," Zetterberg said Thursday. "I think now with the additions of Green and Richards, and the new coach, it's given us a little fresh start. Obviously, it's going to be a different voice behind the bench and sometimes you need that."

Zetterberg clearly felt it was time for a change after 10 years under the hard-driving, abrasive Mike Babcock.

"I want to thank Mike for the time he had here, but I think both him and us probably decided it was time," Zetterberg said.
_______
NHL Player says it's good to see a coaching change after 10 years, news at 11:00 PM.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
NHL Player says it's good to see a coaching change after 10 years, news at 11:00 PM.

I see a Captain sighing in relief, thankful that he doesn't have to follow his coaches orders anymore.
Babcock lost the room in Detroit, years before he left. Not a great sign.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
he's probably not wrong. dude seems like a guy who isn't a great respect earner due to his demeanor

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I see a Captain sighing in relief, thankful that he doesn't have to follow his coaches orders anymore.
Do you honestly think Detroit are the only team who has lost the room because of their head coach? It's happened to all NHL teams with the exception of Vegas, so that's not any breaking news.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Do you honestly think Detroit are the only team who has lost the room because of their head coach? It's happened to all NHL teams with the exception of Vegas, so that's not any breaking news.

No I do not think Detroit is the only team. When and where did I say that?

I said

Is losing the room the sign of a good coach? It didn't the full 10 years for him to lose the room either.
You'll come around about Babcock one day. The Leafs are a good team and to be honest you should have made it deeper this year. I think Babcock is your problem and time will prove me right or wrong. If 5 years go by with no finals, you're gonna feel silly for this unwavering defence of Babcock, lmao.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Chris Chelios is a complete dick. I'd be proud if he didn't like me. Commodore in plain out unhinged and I take nothing he says seriously. I'm not a Babcock fan of late but these two guys are not good examples.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No I do not think Detroit is the only team. When and where did I say that?

I said

Is losing the room the sign of a good coach? It didn't the full 10 years for him to lose the room either.
You'll come around about Babcock one day. The Leafs are a good team and to be honest you should have made it deeper this year. I think Babcock is your problem and time will prove me right or wrong. If 5 years go by with no finals, you're gonna feel silly for this unwavering defence of Babcock, lmao.
My point was eventually all coaches wear out their welcome. Pat Quinn got fired in Toronto after the 2005-2006 season when Toronto missed the playoffs for the first time since 1998, despite making the playoffs from 1999-2004 and in that time they made the Eastern Conference Finals in 1999 and 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad