TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
We can hardly expect to build through the draft by consistently picking 23rd+. The guys we draft are likely 3-4+ years away and thus won't help us much during Price, Pk and Max's prime years. Even when they make it they likely won't be key components to the team right away - and that's if they ever make it to the NHL full time.

Want to pull a Rangers a burn a hole through our prospect depth ?

MB is building a team that will be competitive for the next 5-7 years,

Not 2 years and then revert back to a bubble team.

Big picture.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We can hardly expect to build through the draft by consistently picking 23rd+. The guys we draft are likely 3-4+ years away and thus won't help us much during Price, Pk and Max's prime years. Even when they make it they likely won't be key components to the team right away - and that's if they ever make it to the NHL full time.

We've already build up through the draft. Price, Galchenyuk, Patches, Gallagher, Subban, Pleky, Beaulieu. That's our core. And then there are those coming up soon Mccaron, Sherbak, Hudon.
What you guys want to do, and MB does not want to do, is to trade away our first rounders of the years after to get a player right now. MB does not want us to become a contender for only 5 years and then become a lottery team because our core players are old. He wants us to stay a contender as long as possible, and that is possible by getting good players through the draft.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

Giving away 2nd rounders on rentals certainly isn't going to improve their chances of building through the draft either, look, I don't mind the 2nd rounders for Petry/Vanek etc, I actually like those deals, but does making these deals while in transition (not sure what they mean by this btw) assuming they mean, unable to contend at this time, then why are we trading draft picks for a team that was never in contention, ie transitioning anyways.

What I really find amusing in this whole thing is we're "building through the draft", exactly how are they doing this any differently from the rest of the NHL clubs, if you're not building through the draft, what are you supposed to do? Decline picks? It's whole lot of smoke and mirrors to cover their own ass.

The truth is they're not building through the draft, they're not really transitioning to anything, they just want to calm the storm when the team stinks, and some fans buy this BS.

Enough of the double speak and vague references, it's put up or shut up time.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Giving away 2nd rounders on rentals certainly isn't going to improve their chances of building through the draft either, look, I don't mind the 2nd rounders for Petry/Vanek etc, I actually like those deals, but does making these deals while in transition (not sure what they mean by this btw) assuming they mean, unable to contend at this time, then why are we trading draft picks for a team that was never in contention, ie transitioning anyways.

What I really find amusing in this whole thing is we're "building through the draft", exactly how are they doing this any differently from the rest of the NHL clubs, if you're not building through the draft, what are you supposed to do? Decline picks? It's whole lot of smoke and mirrors to cover their own ass.

The truth is they're not building through the draft, they're not really transitioning to anything, they just want to calm the storm when the team stinks, and some fans buy this BS.

Enough of the double speak and vague references, it's put up or shut up time.

Yea our 2nd in the East, after ECF season, Norris Winning awesome Goalie team sucks.... Surreeee

166.gif

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Yea our 2nd in the East, after ECF season, Norris Winning awesome Goalie team sucks.... Surreeee

166.gif

Who said anything about sucking? I didn't, I'm not the one claiming it's a transition year, but I expected that reply anyways, time to move on. It was a transition year afterall :sarcasm:

LesHabs66

Apr 11, 2007
Minneapolis MN
Look at the coaches that have been in Montreal since 2000.
Alain Vigneault 2000
MT 2000-2003
Claude Julien 2003-2006
Bob Gainey 2006
Guy Carbonneau 2006-2009
Jacques Martin 2009-2011
Randy Cunneyworth 2011-2012
MT 2012-Present

Three years seems to be the high water mark as the coach in Montreal. Why?
Every coach listed has been viewed as the problem holding back the team and eventually fired. Alain Vigneault made it to the Stanley Cup Finals recently with Vancouver and NYR. Claude Julien made it to two Stanley Cup finals winning one for the damned Bruins. Same two coaches. Different teams with different talent and better results.

MT isn't perfect. Far from it. It isn't as though his three seasons have been Maple Leafesque 14+ points out of the playoff hunt disasters. What other coach would want to come here and be the whipping boy for all that goes wrong even though the team manages to make the playoffs and makes some noise?

Who is the next head coach for the Habs then? Would a non-French speaker even get a chance?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Look at the coaches that have been in Montreal since 2000.
Alain Vigneault 2000
MT 2000-2003
Claude Julien 2003-2006
Bob Gainey 2006
Guy Carbonneau 2006-2009
Jacques Martin 2009-2011
Randy Cunneyworth 2011-2012
MT 2012-Present

Three years seems to be the high water mark as the coach in Montreal. Why?
Every coach listed has been viewed as the problem holding back the team and eventually fired. Alain Vigneault made it to the Stanley Cup Finals recently with Vancouver and NYR. Claude Julien made it to two Stanley Cup finals winning one for the damned Bruins. Same two coaches. Different teams with different talent and better results.

MT isn't perfect. Far from it. It isn't as though his three seasons have been Maple Leafesque 14+ points out of the playoff hunt disasters. What other coach would want to come here and be the whipping boy for all that goes wrong even though the team manages to make the playoffs and makes some noise?

Who is the next head coach for the Habs then? Would a non-French speaker even get a chance?
Our team had a lot of issues before Jacques Martin came in, to be fair. Losing teams change coaches a lot.

HabsDieHard*

We've already build up through the draft. Price, Galchenyuk, Patches, Gallagher, Subban, Pleky, Beaulieu. That's our core. And then there are those coming up soon Mccaron, Sherbak, Hudon.
What you guys want to do, and MB does not want to do, is to trade away our first rounders of the years after to get a player right now.
MB does not want us to become a contender for only 5 years and then become a lottery team because our core players are old. He wants us to stay a contender as long as possible, and that is possible by getting good players through the draft.

Never understood this mindset.

They could go after a player who could have an impact on this team for the next half decade. How is that not worth a 1st round pick?

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Look at the top 10 centers / LWs / and RWs
Who are we likeliest to get out of that list
What will it cost?
My guess is we can't pry anyone of them away unless we overpay heavy.
A big trade like that will only happen if both sides are willing to dance

Our best opportunity may be with the Oilers in the off-season if we're willing to give up back end talent for front end talent

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think the fans would be even more pissed off with Babcock cause he likes the defensive style. A guy on CBC said that Perry and Getzlav didn't enjoy playing for him on Team Canada.

My guy would be Todd McLellan. Seeing the high offensive style the Sharks played against the Habs this year in San Jose and totally dominating them, that's the way I want the Habs to play going forward. Therrien played a style not to loose and that's gonna bite you in the but down the line. I want some puck possession and some skills.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I think the fans would be even more pissed off with Babcock cause he likes the defensive style. A guy on CBC said that Perry and Getzlav didn't enjoy playing for him on Team Canada.

My guy would be Todd McLellan. Seeing the high offensive style the Sharks played against the Habs this year in San Jose and totally dominating them, that's the way I want the Habs to play going forward. Therrien played a style not to loose and that's gonna bite you in the but down the line. I want some puck possession and some skills.

Sharks had the players. Habs do not.

HabsChik*

110 point season, 2 rounds of playoffs. MT is going know where.

Imagine if all the teams that didnt make the playoffs fired their coach ?

LOL you guys are nuts.:laugh:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
110 point season, 2 rounds of playoffs. MT is going know where.

Imagine if all the teams that didnt make the playoffs fired their coach ?

LOL you guys are nuts.:laugh:

If this is how Bergy evaluates MT then I'd fire him on the spot. Should start hanging Regular Season banners. Habs fans have really gone soft.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Both are needs... that's the whole point. What makes you think MB has more chances to trade for a star scorer ? Last I checked, it never happened in Mtl (in the last 15 years at least)... except maybe Vanek and that was rental...

We need as much a scoring star as we need a better coach... and contrary to you, I don't see the odds of getting that player being a lot more better than improving MT with the game's best coach. Both are unlikely to happen... sadly.

YOU see these both as needs. Bergevin signing Therrien to a 4 year extension and the entire coaching staff to 3 years obviously feels very different. Considering he's the guy who's calling the shots, his opinion on the matter is the only one that counts as far as this coaching "need" is the issue.

You may not like Therrien, I may not like Therrien but thinking Bergegin will fire the entire staff he JUST extended isn't even in the realm of possibilities no matter how much you wish it was. Sorry but your better off fantasizing about scoring forwards because that's a need Bergegin will actually be addressing this off season.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

It was reported this am that he's close to signing with EDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad