TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Not by much. You put Cooper behind the Habs bench, and you got about the same result. The PP would had possibly been better (not hard) MT got pretty much the best out of this group. Not a SC contender yet.

Yeah not by much, and true that we aren't a contender yet. But I don't think MT got the best out of this group though, he might have at different periods of the year because his hand was forced but I don't think he was able to understand what to do under different situations to succeed with this same group. He just sticks with the same situation over and over if nothing changes, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Game 6 yesterday was a perfect example of that, he's down 3-0 and does absolutely nothing to spark some momentum switch, instead relying on his system that somehow something will happen. Same lines, same rotations, same formula.

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
That's all the Canadiens do and all the French media asks. It is not asking for attracting local talent at any cost possible, only in attracting local talent whenever possible. A perfectly understandable and supportive request.

Furthermore, a hockey coach is overrated. Just tell the players to hustle, put themselves in front of the goalie to screen him, shoot pucks, and look for bounces. That is all a hockey player has to be told to play the game.

Really..? That's ridiculous. What's the point of having a system? Hockey's played as a unit of 5 guys. I'd argue having a solid system in place is the most important thing of all.

gis16*

M.A.R.K.E.T.I.N.G. = $$$

Local target people is French

What you don't understand??

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm just waiting for MB to make his statement saying he's happy with the coaching staff, and how it was a successful year.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Not sure why there's even a thread up for Babcock. Even if we were looking for coach, chances are he wouldn't even be #1 on our list, for, you known, reasons...

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I'm just waiting for MB to make his statement saying he's happy with the coaching staff, and how it was a successful year.

Lets not forget the kicker, we are a transition team. Who knows anymore though, transition year or not. Doesn't feel like we've been in transition years the past two years. Its time to hold people accountable.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
I think we need better offensive players AND another coach to bring this team to another level. Same thing for the Habs AHL affiliate (i.e. Lefebvre out).

Mike Babcock could succeed in this market if he wants to come here. I am not concerned about language, money but maybe more about his relationship with Subban. If that can work out, I hope Bergevin or someone from the Habs contacts Babcock.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Doesn't matter what PK says.. he isn't the one managing the team.

Like it or not MB is building trough the draft and a team that still have Markov, Pleks, PAP, DD in their core and Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, DSP, Beaulieu, Subban etc is a transition year.

The core is being passed on. Why do you think we still have no captain ? Transition.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Getting a star forward and Mike Babcock are not even close to being in the same rhelm of possibilities. Getting a top line scoring forward is a NEED that must be filled. Bergevin firing a coach that has yet to start a contrtact that was given to him after finishing 2nd in the NHL standings is a FANTASY. There's a difference that a lot of people just don't grasp. Probably the people who want to trade our scraps and a 2nd for Toews or Crosby.

Both are needs... that's the whole point. What makes you think MB has more chances to trade for a star scorer ? Last I checked, it never happened in Mtl (in the last 15 years at least)... except maybe Vanek and that was rental...

We need as much a scoring star as we need a better coach... and contrary to you, I don't see the odds of getting that player being a lot more better than improving MT with the game's best coach. Both are unlikely to happen... sadly.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
hahahah oh man i might smash my tv if I were to see that.

Of course he's going to say that. Not only did he resign MT recently, he also JUST signed HIS assistant coaches. If you were thinking about bringing in a Babcock wouldn't you let Babcock pick his asistants?
The only thing that could be surprising is if he back peddles quickly like he did with his bad signings (Briere) and then its a heavy cost to Molson. Is Molson willing to eat it?

If it went down like that I would start thinking MB is just giving his buddies a pay-off knowing he;s about to clean house. What a tangled web we weave..........

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Kessel is most definitely available I bet. He's a star scorer, and exactly what this team needs. The Sharks also have a couple guys that Bergevin could possibly get in Marleau, Thornton or Pavelski.

There are players out there that can help this team get over the hump. It just takes a pair and some creativity.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Really..? That's ridiculous. What's the point of having a system? Hockey's played as a unit of 5 guys. I'd argue having a solid system in place is the most important thing of all.

Ridiculous, most coaches get in the way more than they help. I'm convinced a team could succeed without having one at all.

number 11

Jan 11, 2008
Montreal
Kessel is most definitely available I bet. He's a star scorer, and exactly what this team needs. The Sharks also have a couple guys that Bergevin could possibly get in Marleau, Thornton or Pavelski.

There are players out there that can help this team get over the hump. It just takes a pair and some creativity.

thornton and marleau are definitely available but do we really want to give up what they'll cost for aging vets? and I don't see them trading pavelski.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Subban is of course 100% right.

The transition stuff is total BS. The habs best players are 26-26-28. They're in their primes. We just finished 2nd overall. We went to the conference finals last year and almost repeated this year. How can this be a transition year ?

I mean I get that they were thinking that last summer, but repeating it now seems like MT going full spin mode.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Subban is of course 100% right.

The transition stuff is total BS. The habs best players are 26-26-28. They're in their primes. We just finished 2nd overall. We went to the conference finals last year and almost repeated this year. How can this be a transition year ?

I mean I get that they were thinking that last summer, but repeating it now seems like MT going full spin mode.

It's just the team controlling the media narrative to tame expectations.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

Like it or not MB is building trough the draft and a team that still have Markov, Pleks, PAP, DD in their core and Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, DSP, Beaulieu, Subban etc is a transition year.

The core is being passed on. Why do you think we still have no captain ? Transition.

MB, MT and you, don't even know wth they mean by transition. They certainly didn't do much transitioning, they had a 5 foot nothing midget on the first line and traded for a rental. I don't think transitioning and buying rentals go together, how about you?

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

We can hardly expect to build through the draft by consistently picking 23rd+. The guys we draft are likely 3-4+ years away and thus won't help us much during Price, Pk and Max's prime years. Even when they make it they likely won't be key components to the team right away - and that's if they ever make it to the NHL full time.

mtl_felix

Sep 10, 2006
Lavaltrie, Quebec
Ridiculous, most coaches get in the way more than they help. I'm convinced a team could succeed without having one at all.

I'm not denying that but I think having a great coach is not overrated at all. I am convinced it can really push a team over a notch.

As far as MT is concerned though, in my mind, he's most definitly getting in the way of our most offensive players.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's just the team controlling the media narrative to tame expectations.

Taming the expectations could have the reverse effect of pissing people off. I think the fans are smarter than that and know BS when they hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->